Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2001, 12:24 AM   #1
Mammawlin

I need the patch to use the vampire ring, which I would really like to do, but my computer asked me what I wanted to open the patch with and I said Microsoft Word, now the patch comes up as jibberish in my typing program and that's it. I tried to download it again, but it still goes to the typing program. Can anyone help me undo this request for it to go to there? If not, I will just play without the patch and the ring - darn it!
What was I supposed to say? :{
Old 01-12-2001, 12:39 AM   #2
Lily the Ranger

Gosh, I know zero about computers . . . I just know that you open a lot of things with wordpad. Can you go into explorer and uninstall your first patch . . . once it is associated with the program I think it sticks that way . . . then try downloading the patch to a disk or your desktop. I can't help with installing as my 13 year old installed mine for me but if you don't have an answer by the time he comes home I will ask him how to do it. I am sure an answer god or godess will be along at any moment.
Old 01-12-2001, 12:57 AM   #3
Xignal76

Mammawlin,

Gonna give it a shot...

You probably downloaded the patch as a ZIP file (such as WwpatchV1_0.zip). Since you were asked what application to open it with I'd guess that you don't have an unzipping program installed. I'd recommend downloading and installing WinZip (which you can find here: winfiles.com ).

Once you have the unzipper installed open Windows Explorer, find your patch and double-click on it. This should launch the unzipper. If it doesn't then close out of the "Open with..." dialog box and try right-clicking on the file in Windows Explorer. You might have an option there to "UnZIP" or "Extract."

Select the destination location as that of your Wizards and Warriors folder and let it do its thing.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2001, 12:12 AM   #4
Mammawlin

Thanks for responding! It looks like Xignal76 has the right idea. I didn't have an unzipper, so went to the place suggested and got one; now it looks like a whole new ball game! I think its gonna work. But I am too tired tonight to continue, will finish up tomorrow if I can. I will be flying to LA tomorrow night and be gone for awhile - so may not be able to try it out until I get back. I will let you know. Thanks again for the help. This forum always comes through for me! I love you guys!!!
Old 01-13-2001, 01:15 PM   #5
Strider
Welcomed New User

Click on My Computer and highlight your harddrive. Select from the tools menu "folder options". Then select the tab "file types". Find the extension you want to change, highlight it then click on "change". Careful what you change though. If you accidently change or delete an extension you didn't mean to it could cause problems.
In your case you probably don't need to do this cause most unzippers IIRC when you install them ask if you want it to open all files that end in .zip (or do it automaticly). The above is for WinMe but should be same for most if not all versions of windows.

Hope this helps
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 01:33 PM   #6
Elara
The Magister

If you have Win98 SE, (and if you still don't have WinZip as the program association set for opening zip files) try this:

Start Windows Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options, File Types, scroll down to "WinZip files" (or " Zip files"), click Edit, and in the Action text window, remove MS Word and then type: "Open with WinZip" but don't type the parentheses.

(While at that screen, I'd check "Always show extension").

Then click OK, and then again, OK. There you be.

Good luck!
Elara
Elara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 04:04 AM   #7
xenotoca

dam nusiance the file association. to change what it opens with find the file and right click on it. The first option should be OPEN WITH and will show what program the file is currently being opened with, at the side is a box called change. Click on this and you can select which program to use to open the file.
Old 01-15-2001, 06:03 AM   #8
carg
The Magister

When a file has an extension is already associated with an application, the 'open with' doesn't appear anymore, unless you press the shift while right-clicking on a selected file.
So if Moni wants to double-click on a zip file to start winzip in stead of Word, she should select the zip file, press shift and right-click on the zip file, select 'open with' and choose winzip as program to start.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 08:21 AM   #9
skywalker
Banned User

Could you open Winzip first then choose the file you want to unzip using browse to find it on your harddrive?

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 08:34 AM   #10
carg
The Magister

That should work too.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote