Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2002, 07:15 PM   #1
Ezekial
The Magister

Just wondering what you all thought the best non-fighter fighter was?

I'm taken with the swashbuckler at the moment!

NB...NOT duel/multi-class...
Old 01-09-2002, 07:20 PM   #2
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I like Stalkers..... great fun..... But for some reason sometimes my stalkers backstab dont work
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 07:25 PM   #3
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I like the Skald (Bard kit), because s/he is a good warrior as well as having an excellent Bard-song and the usual Bard spell-casting ability.
Or you could just take Haer'Dalis with you. He is a Blade (Bard kit) and also quite a good fighter. Though better kept at a distance with ranged weapons, due to not having great armour, he is also pretty good in melee.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Fljotsdale ]

Old 01-09-2002, 07:30 PM   #4
Nifft the Nimble

Hello Ezekial!

Probably the best non-Fighter for fighting is the Blade. A fighter-type who can cast Tenser's Transformation, Stoneskin, Mirror Image & Mislead, and can dual-wield Belm and Celestial Fury (and eventually, if you have ToB, the Scarlet Ninja-to), is powerful indeed.

Clerics might be second, or Swashbucklers might be second. Clerics get nice armour, shields and helmets, but with time (and ToB) any Rogue could have them, too. On the other hand, Clerics get many melee-buffing spells (Draw Upon Holy Might, Armor of Faith, Holy Power, Righteous Magic, uh ... lots more!).

I guess we need to define the problem better: are we allowing 'self-buff' spells, are we allowing ToB high-level abilities, are we allowing familiars (another bonus for Blades over Swashbucklers)?

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 07:35 PM   #5
Ezekial
The Magister

I aiming for pure fighting ability and skills, but start up for both..with and without [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2002, 08:38 PM   #6
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yeh Nifft, Blades r pretty Damn cool.... and especially when u get the Enhanced Bard Song in ToB.... it removes 1 of the Blades worse Disadvantages
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 09:01 PM   #7
Maniac
Dungeon Master

Hehehehe... best non-fighter fighter = Minsc!
Actually, monk is quite cool... and barbabian (too obvious).
Old 01-09-2002, 10:11 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Well, I'd still consider Rangers and Paladins to be 'fighters,' because they're part of the Warrior superclass and have the same THAC0, hitdice, etc.

So apart from them, I'd have a pure Priest of Helm out front (Helm is the Neutral one, right?), Tanking in his armor and swinging the Crom like there's no tomorrow, plus casting Holy Blight and Unholy Blight and not being hurt by either of them.

And behind him, Swashbucklers and Blades, as have already been mentioned. A Totemic or straight Druid would be a worthwhile addition as well. And if your PC is a Thief, well, I've got a Neutral Good Assassin right now with 19 STR and 19 DEX.....and Draw Upon Holy Might (before a Poisoned x7 Backstab) is based on levels, and Thieves get levels much faster than Clerics. (tee hee!) Man, I'm even going to be Regenerating while I Backstab!
Old 01-10-2002, 08:33 AM   #9
Anarion

Swashbucklers are pretty good.
Old 01-10-2002, 08:35 AM   #10
Anarion

Haveing said that though you couldnt go too far wrong with an assassin- the poison is very good.