Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-16-2001, 12:31 PM   #21
Caine
Elminster

THANK YOU!
Old 10-16-2001, 01:02 PM   #22
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by StarVid:

This wand was created by the most superubermunckiny god of cheese, known only as TeamBG. This wand has only one charge, however, only one is necessary.

This is a bit unfair, StarVid. TeamBG provides the tools to customize your game. It's up to people to decide what they do with those tools. You can make very creative and legitimate items with IEEP. You can add new merchants and .sto files and sell these items if you don't want to cheat them into your game.

It's all about customization, not cheezing.

------------------
Old 10-16-2001, 01:12 PM   #23
Blackwolf
Dungeon Master

(about the Stormbringer sword)

"...changes users alignment to Chaotic Evil."

-----

Ooh, I hate to nitpick, but I`m a big fan of Michael Moorcock`s writings and the Eternal Champion cycle. The sword described is based on Stormbringer which was wielded by Elric (it had a "brother" in Mournblade).

Now Elric wasn`t exactly good, but I certainly wouldn`t describe him as Chaotic Evil. The definitions of Law and Chaos in Elric`s world are a little different from those in AD&D and I guess that`s the reason for the rule quoted above. I think Lawful Evil would be more appropriate for Elric. He is royalty, after all.
Old 10-16-2001, 04:23 PM   #24
Bruce The Aussie
Fzoul Chembryl

What about this (i tried makeing it but my version is a bit buggy and it didn't work) the first is before you idenify it and the second is after is after:
Anglashien Dragon Sword
The Anglashien Dragon was draconic form that lived in the mountins of Anglash. It kept to the tunnels that lead deep into the mountain's made by an uknown dwarvan clan many years ago. The Dragon was faybeled to be guarding a treasure that would make a king seem poor. Many adventurers went after the dragon only to return defeated. One day a single adventurer, a warrior,called Ilmesh, ready for battle, walked insidethe caves. After a few hour he heard a rumbling and the great shape of a huge dragon lumbered up to him. Swiftly drawing his blade he cried "Be ye enemy or friend?" "Friend" said the dragon. "Friend?" Ilmesh enquired. "Yes, friend. i have no quarril with you"."If you have no quarril with me, then why others? why do you attack others that come in here?" "I don't attack them... they attack me. I'm just here to guard the entance" said the dragon ."Then why don't you attack me if your to guard the entrance?" "My my, we are full of questions. i let you through because you are not harming the entrance, you are not desturbing the entance. if you don't do anything but walk past it, what am i to do? kill you? for walking? no I do not attack neadlessly." and with that the dragon swiftly walked off down one of the tunnels. "what an odd dragon." said Ilmesh exclaimed.
After a short break Ilmesh carried on walking to the center of the caves. He walked for about 3 hours until he saw a green glow emanating from a large cavern. as he walked in he noticed a swored lying on a stone table. he walked up to the sword and picked it up. Words misicaly appeared in front of him hovering over the table. they said "ONLY THOSE WHO KNOW THE NAME MAY USE THIS SWORD OF THE GODS........."

STATISTICS:

Damage: 1D10
Damage type: slashing
Weight: 6
Speed Factor: 4
Proficiency Type: Katana
Type: 1-handed
Requires: 6 Strength
Not Usable By:
Druid
Cleric
Mage

Thejistel
Thejistel +7: The sword of the gods. This swords blade seems to have viens of green energy running through it. as you hold it you can feel the pure enery of the thing. If a low level peron used this, the power would go out of controle.

STATISTICS
Combat Abilities:
poison (2 dam for 10 sec. (save vs death\poison)
Special Abilities:

+1 to strength
THAC0: +7 bonus
Damage: 2D10 +10
Damage type: slashing
Weight: 3
Speed Factor: 1
Proficiency Type: Katana
Type: 1-handed
Requires: 16 Strength and Constitution
Not Usable By:
Druid
Cleric
Mage

I think it was Wah that told me if your going to make a powerful weapon, give it a good story.

also i can't decide how to make it more powerful, or at least balanced. i was thinking something about time or something

------------------
Old 10-16-2001, 04:30 PM   #25
StarVid
Elminster

I'm not slamming TeamBG, but I think they're mods are abused. Customization? That's a bunch of rot. These customizations are being used to completely overpower the PCs and parties. It's absurd. Don't get me wrong, I'm not making a judgement call, (even though I technically am), all I'm saying is that cheating (aka customization) is looked down upon by other players, me being one of them. Don't get me wrong, I've been tempted to do it myself, but I didn't. There are rules to D&D, and I don't want to hear that "The #1 rule is that the DM rules, these rules are only a suggestion", because that's a load of bull. I've seen people stretch the D&D rules to absurdly unchallenging depths (or I should say shallows).

But in short, I'm anti-cheating, and I don't have any qualms about voicing it.
Old 10-16-2001, 05:19 PM   #26
Blackwolf
Dungeon Master

All this talk about "cheating" is getting silly.

If people enjoy playing the game with super-powerful weapons, characters or sitting naked in front of their computers, then let them. It`s their business.
Old 10-16-2001, 08:45 PM   #27
StarVid
Elminster

I'd like to agree with you, but I don't.

It was like this on battle.net. All the cheaters would talk newbies out of being purists. That's where the pkers, pkkers, and hacked characters with 500hps with an armor class of 1,000,000 came in. It became impossible to get into a legit game. It was also like this for PnP D&D. When I first started, everyone was into playing by the rules and not going for the ubergod character. Then as time went on, the "younger generation" (though they were only a few years younger than us), wanted to play but would all play these cheesegods.

In short, all this "customization" ruined battle.net, ruined PnP, so if somebody is going to ask about cheats, I'm going to be a smart ass.

Though I should add, I'm not against cheats in some very rare occasions. For example, one time in BG1, after the showdown at the palace, I couldn't talk to Belt for some reason, he just wouldn't speak, in that case I wouldn't be against using a cheat to teleport to the entrance to the underground place (since you were going to end up there in two seconds anyway if the game was working), but hacking in +50 swords is too much.
Old 10-16-2001, 10:29 PM   #28
Archon Devangilous
The Magister

im a fence sitter i this argument i have edited my games but not to the extent of some of the previously mentioned weapons.BUT my guess is that the reason all these people are hacking is that a) they have finished the game a bunch of times and are just playing around. my suggestion to you is go ahead and use the editor, BUt make yourself a bad weapon yes thats right a bad one, challenge yourself and see how far you get with a crappy weapon

or b) you suck at the game and the only way you can get anywhere is by ahem "editing" the game. my suggestion to you is - TURN THE DIFFICULTY DOWN!!!! everyone has to start somewhere even i turned it down when i first started the game, once your used to it then put it back up

the reasons developers spend so much time on games is to challenge you wat would be the point of releasing a game where your first level character can tear apart the final boss? the idea is that you have to build your character.

and thats my two cents

------------------
Nor shadow or myst
the jester is a myth
he is absolute
beware the jester
Old 10-17-2001, 01:07 AM   #29
Blackwolf
Dungeon Master

"It was like this on battle.net. "

-----

Well, I was referring to using these items in the single-player game. If they use them in multiplayer, then obviously it is no longer their business.
Old 10-17-2001, 01:22 AM   #30
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by StarVid:
I'd like to agree with you, but I don't.

It was like this on battle.net. All the cheaters would talk newbies out of being purists. That's where the pkers, pkkers, and hacked characters with 500hps with an armor class of 1,000,000 came in. It became impossible to get into a legit game. It was also like this for PnP D&D. When I first started, everyone was into playing by the rules and not going for the ubergod character. Then as time went on, the "younger generation" (though they were only a few years younger than us), wanted to play but would all play these cheesegods.

In short, all this "customization" ruined battle.net, ruined PnP, so if somebody is going to ask about cheats, I'm going to be a smart ass.

Though I should add, I'm not against cheats in some very rare occasions. For example, one time in BG1, after the showdown at the palace, I couldn't talk to Belt for some reason, he just wouldn't speak, in that case I wouldn't be against using a cheat to teleport to the entrance to the underground place (since you were going to end up there in two seconds anyway if the game was working), but hacking in +50 swords is too much.

How could I tell that you were speaking from the voice of experience?

There's a BIG difference between cheating to turn yourself into an ubermunchkin and customizing to maximize enjoyment of your game. TeamBG is not about ruining multiplayer by creating scores of PKers. I totally agree with you that multiplayer games should not include customized weapons as this has been abused by thousands of people and is the primary source source of frustration facing the BG customization scene today. (I'm not active in that scene, but I know a lot of people who are.)

To me, customization and modding to derive new enjoyment and prolong the lifespan of your game in singleplayer is fine. After all, nobody is being affected except you. You're only cheating yourself, and if you enjoy it, so what?

I'm not knocking your opinion as you are entitled to it, given your personal experiences, I'm just trying to show you the flip side of the coin you've described. For every PKer out there there's also someone who wants to create a new map or tileset to put towards creating a new expansion mod to enhance the game for others.

------------------