Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2000, 11:31 AM   #1
Silverblade
Dungeon Master

This happened on my third attempt of Baldur's Gate so far everytime something outside my control has prevented me finishing the game.
1). Corrupted Save Game File.
2). Collapsed Hard Drive Platter.
3). The Problem listed below.
It begins just after you obtain the invatation to the coronation of Serevok. You go towards the Duchal Palace and enter it, before you appear on the ground floor a small movie plays of some people entering a castle. Then the game returns and a guard demands to see your invitation, you supply it and almost immediately the movie replays. This just goes on and on - Seconds of the game, then the movie.
To get out of that I managed to get to the stairs leading to the Basement in the hope that loading a new area would fix the problem. Only to discover the Basement had it's own movie too and was affected in the exact same manner as the one preceeding it.
Reloading and painfully I managed to climb to the fist floor, here the game suffered from incredable slowness. It started slow and gradually became slower and slower until it may as well have hung. Somehow I managed to get the team up onto the second floor, here the game was that slow I couldn't play it.

Has anyone any suggestions for a work around or a fix for this fustrating problem?
Silverblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 07:13 PM   #2
Petrarcus ap Bhaal

Yeah, download the patch at:

www.planetbaldursgate.com

This will solve all of your problems.

Petrarcus ap Bhaal.
Old 12-20-2000, 08:13 AM   #3
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Along these same lines ... (and I HAVE the patch)... whenever I enter a new area, like the sewer, and the intro-to-the-area-movie plays, often my game will crash. It just disappears. It's unpredictable when this will happen, but it happens a LOT. Very frustrating!! The only 'positive' thing is it's taught me to save before entering a new area. Any suggestions??
bilqis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2000, 11:25 AM   #4
Silverblade
Dungeon Master

When your game crashes, what error, if any do you recieve?
I've experienced crash outs in both Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale. Does the game suddenly stop and drop you back out into Windows? Or is it something else?
If it's the first option I mentioned I've never had any trouble just restarting the game and continuing on, it didn't happen that often to bother me and because of the hasstle in Baldurs Gate I save frequently and have several points throughout the story I can return to. Otherwise you'll need to supply me with more information. I'm currently working on resolving my recurring movie issue - with little success so far.
Should I get to the bottom of the problem I will post the result here.
Old 12-20-2000, 04:32 PM   #5
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Thank you for your response! What happens is the game closes completely, and drops me to windows. No error message whatsoever. I've basically done all the things you mentioned - save frequently on different spots, and restart the game to continue on. If this only happened rarely, it wouldn't be a big deal. What frustrates me is that it happens almost every time I have a movie sequence - 2 out of 3 times. But the game works great otherwise, and I have no problem restarting the game, so I can live with it if I must. It's just ANNOYING.

Thanks again!
bilqis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 03:53 PM   #6
One ANGRY lil' man

For the movies try installing a crack some disable the playing of movies. Megagames.com has a WHOLE LOT. Now help me by sending me your AREA000A.bif file off of your 5th disk I need it bad,
Old 01-03-2001, 04:06 AM   #7
Silverblade
Dungeon Master

I can send you the required bif file. Where should I post it.