Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2001, 07:45 AM   #1
PreciousGollum
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello to you all on this forum,I hope you've got room for another wandering soul,as I'm in need of a fine drink and some fine banter!

I recently aquired BGII as a gift and it's been sitting on my shelf for a fiew weeks now.The problem is,the thaught of embarking on such a grand quest with so many items,spells,locations and enemies,seems like a daunting one.I have always been a fan of fantasy literature,but haven't played an RPG scince the Eye of the Beholder series on my dearly departed Amiga!

A quick flick through the BGII mannual shows how much more complex these games have become,so here I am with a fiew questions...

How steep is the learning curve for RPG newbies?
How long does the average gamer take to finnish BGII?
Oh,and any tips for starting out?

All help most gratefully received-my preceous!

------------------
"It hurts us,it hurts us.It freezes,it bites!"
Old 04-01-2001, 08:17 AM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

well for tips:
-choose the character you like and not the most powerful character you can make to make it all the more interesting
- do not cheat since it will just make it boring right away.. if you get stuck or something dont be afraid to ask here rather than cheat your way through..
- have fun !! dont become a diehard person

average hours:
frankly i dont know... i played it for like a month before i finished it

learning curve??
what do you mean by that?
how fast will you be able to learn this game..?? well you'll learn it pretty quick after 20 min of playing

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...
Old 04-01-2001, 08:27 AM   #3
Moiraine
Anubis

Precious Gollum , fine (if virtual) drink and friendly banter you may find in the General Discussions forum :

http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/cgi-...ions&number=10

You will find there a great bunch of honely tuned souls from many countries - warm welcome !

------------------
Old 04-01-2001, 08:38 AM   #4
Epona
Zartan

Welcome!

Mmmm. Tips for starting out? OK, here's one.

Pick a character that you can identify with - do you prefer hack&slash fighting, or casting spells? Do you identify most with Good or Evil?

The game takes several weeks to play straight through, which is why it is a good idea to decide exactly what type of character you want to play. When you create your character, read all the descriptions on the screen of all the different races and classes, because there are various benefits and restrictions.

I found it quite easy to get into the game, controlling your characters is done very easily using the mouse - just click where you want them to walk to, click on an enemy to attack or a friend to initiate dialogue, click on a door to open it - very easy to pick up.

I am sure you will have great fun with this game, the manual contains loads of information and is useful to refer to, but you don't have to read the whole thing to get the hang of the basics. Trial and error is much better, and if you have any more questions or any problems getting started, just ask us!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas.
Old 04-01-2001, 10:19 AM   #5
PreciousGollum
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thank you for your comments,I've just been reading some BGII reviews and it gets a big thumbs up all round.Time to defrag my hardrive then!

------------------
Old 04-01-2001, 10:31 AM   #6
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

I learned Epona´s way, trial and error. You will learn more and more of this game as you play, everytime you play you find new things and posibilities... Soon you´ll be an expert !! It isnt very hard, and if you have any problem just post here ok ?

Hmm Gollum... your signature is from the LotR, when Frodo and Sam use an elvish rope to tie up Gollum, no ??

------------------
"Let my spells do the dirty work" Ertai, High Sorceror of the Holy Flame
Old 04-01-2001, 10:33 AM   #7
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I'd like to make a suggestion for you first starting character, if I may. I know I have mentioned this before, but works well!

Newbie starter spoiler

Create a Fighter with a high (18) Wisdom Attribute, and high Strength. Check in the Manual, and give Cleric Weapons skills, no more than 3 weapons, including Sling, and add all the skills points to these and to Sword & Shield style. As the game opens, your Fighter is at level 7. IMMEDIATELY look for the Dual Class button and Dual to Cleric. You will lose your Fighter skills and be asked to select Cleric skills. Choose the same as you did for Figher. You are now a level 1 Cleric. By the time you leave the first Dungeon, you will be a lvl 7 Cleric. As soon as you become a lvl 8 Cleric, you will get all your Fighter skills back. You will not increase in level as a Fighter, BUT you will have those nice Figher skills with weapons, which the pure Cleric cannot get. This is a VERY useful Player!

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Old 04-01-2001, 11:13 AM   #8
ratbag
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Usually what I do is stay on the same level (dungeon area )
and mess about with the mouse (is that legal) and then restart the game.
That way I get used to controls and reload times are quicker.

__________________________________________________ ___

But I wasn't in distress Barbarian. I was just Flicking a wasp
out of the window with my hankerchief.
OOPS!
Anyway, what happened to the army in the courtyard
OOPS!
And my four brothers that lead them into battle
OOPS!
And my Mother and Father, the Queen and King.
OOPS!
And.... Why do you keep saying OOPS!
Umm. No reason I'll be going now.
(Anyone remember Thrud the Barbarian )

RATBAG
Old 04-01-2001, 11:48 AM   #9
PreciousGollum
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for all these tips guys,I've come across a little problem however.I'll post a new topic on that,but more starter tips welcome,especially those to do with thieves-I loves me sneakin'!

Ertai_OHF,my sig' is indeed from the 'rope' scene,I loved the way it was handled in that old cartoon version.Pitty it ended so crap.

Ratbag,I remember old Thrud.Early White Dwarf wasn't it?

------------------
Old 04-01-2001, 12:49 PM   #10
ratbag
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah, before it went overkill on gamesworkshop stuff.
Still Nodwick and Dork Tower in Dragon Magazine is good for a laff as well.
Well got to go Symphonies to write, Dragons to Goose, Faries to torture.

-----------------------------------------------
Music hath moods to sooth the savage beast.
It also gives you Bleeding Headache as well.