Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 04-26-2002, 11:52 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Okay, I'm way behind the times. I just finished my Master's degree and these past 9 months were filled with hours of internship. Now I am able to start playing BG2. So my question is this, from your own experience is it better to role up a whole new character or is using your character from BG1 more satisfying? (I finished with a Half-elven ranger but I don't have the slightest idea on how to go about transferring him into BG2) I realize that this is a purely subjective answer on your part, but that's what I am looking for. Thanks ahead of time.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 12:02 AM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

It depends on what you want... importing will give you a more powerful character, rolling a new one gives you more kit options.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 04:10 AM   #3
Lanthir
Drizzt Do'Urden

If you have TOSC then when you import to BGII you start with 161000 exp (if you reached the cap lvl) if not when you rolea new pc you get 89000 exp to start. I ran my ranger from BG1 into BGII and just had to decide which ranger kit to take ( I love archer myself). I also ran a palidin from BG I an dagain just picked the kit I wanted.
Old 04-27-2002, 05:07 AM   #4
Telchar of Nogrod
Drow Warrior

I've done it before, after TOSC. You have to realocate most of your abilities (theif skills, proficiantcies and such) because they are handled differently in SOA. You also get to pick the kits, if you want them, that were not available in BG1. I imported my whole home made party of six members. When I went all the way through TOB, it was really great. When you think about how great you are and remember just strugling to stay alive against a bear in the woods, you can't help but smile. Very cool.
\"Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to Middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist haunting, dripping vain tears in the thankless sea?\"<br />Feanor at Tirion upon Tuna, Of the Flight of the Noldor, The Silmarillion
Telchar of Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 11:16 AM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Thanks for your replies. Its exactly what I was looking for when it comes to opinions. So, how does one go about transferring a BG1 character to BG2? If you answer this please try to answer in step by step instructions that a high functioning moron - that would be me - could understand. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2002, 11:29 AM   #6
fable
Quintesson

One moment--don't neglect the possibilities involved in rolling your own. If you get the add-on, ToB, installed, you'll be able to create a Wild Mage. It's potentially the most interesting class, with a strong chaotic element that allows the spellcaster to achieve amazing success or ignominious failure. Well worth a look.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 11:30 AM   #7
Aar-Daneel
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
Thanks for your replies. Its exactly what I was looking for when it comes to opinions. So, how does one go about transferring a BG1 character to BG2? If you answer this please try to answer in step by step instructions that a high functioning moron - that would be me - could understand. Thanks!
unfortunately you'll have to start up bg1 and EXPORT your char (name him something you can find, his name?, search you dirve (thou it should be in the characters folder of bg1 directory) and copy that to the char folder of bg2 and in char creation import char
et voila

HOWEVER i imported but i felt the changes to the abilities etc... so different that it felt like a whole new char. the only real point of importing, IMHO, is (unless you're a diehard RPer) if you have the golden pantaloons as they are the only thing (i think) that is imported in to the game with you (oh,BTW import character from bg1 final save)

hope this helps

[ 04-27-2002, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Aar-Daneel ]
[IMG] [url]\"http://www.yoursighost.com/members/ardaneel/sig1.gif\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.yoursighost.com/members/ardaneel/sig1.gif</a> [/IMG]<br />a meticulous planner may get results, but they miss out on all the chaos
Aar-Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 11:54 AM   #8
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Thanks again everyone. I think I'll roll up a new character since certain things change. Now what to be...?
Old 04-27-2002, 12:00 PM   #9
F. Gottwald
Manshoon

be someone that no npc can be for you... for example, edwin is better than any pc wizard, viconia is better than any pc cleric etc.
i´d suggest an archer or ranger dual-classed to cleric...
kensai/mages are probably THE choice if you´re interested in sheer power though.
Old 04-27-2002, 12:45 PM   #10
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

As much as I wanted to do that (transferring over a BG1 char), I couldn't because there so many new classes to choose from.. I just looked at potentiality and I lost it (if there is such a word)
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote