Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2002, 07:49 AM   #41
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Of course that satisfaction comes from my perception that people actually do read my posts!

Mark
Ah ha, now I understand!

We both suffer from the same perception problem. We actually think people are interested in what we write...lol. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

EDIT - Um, Mark, you only quoted and responded to half of Aelia's post...lol.

[ 11-29-2002, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 11-29-2002, 07:57 AM   #42
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Note to self - IGNORE THOSE BLUE POSTS - I can do without the eyestrain [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2002, 08:32 AM   #43
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Skywalker, I don't think MagiK or anyone else for that matter, has 'vendetta' on their agenda when posting replies.

MagiK, there's no cut and dried 'rule' for posting styles other than not flaming or baiting so you're free to use your discretion.

If it is easier for you (or anyone) to focus on the topic by cutting it up that's ok, but remember how your audience is perceiving things and maybe make fewer sections? [img]smile.gif[/img]

This is really a matter of personal preference as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:59 AM   #44
MagiK

Quote:
MagiK, I am not entirely focused on you or your posts. This was not posted to single anyone out and I mentioned no names. It may be true that I do skip past some of your posts, but I do so with others, too. You make it sound like I have some sort of vendetta against you...I do not.

I also see the smileys in your first response to the opening post and I understand you are kidding. I also know you like to agitate me so I guess I should just let it pass. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Mark
No worries Mark, I was havin' a bit of fun but apparently my humor missed the mark (err no pun intended [img]smile.gif[/img] ) because I got a couple of PM's about it. As for the colour thing [img]smile.gif[/img] I agree not all colors work [img]smile.gif[/img] which is why I usually use my shocking pink [img]smile.gif[/img] that blue stuff was just a short term thing [img]smile.gif[/img] Anyway, hope your weekend is going well. But please believe I don't intersperse my replies the way I do just to nit pick. I do it to address each point and acknowledge each part of a persons effort in the post. If I didn't do that (as I used to do) I get complaints that Im rambeling and doing "stream of conciousness" stuff....so I guess in the end, Im kind of screwed either way I post [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2002, 11:02 AM   #45
MagiK

To all concerned about my recent blue posts [img]smile.gif[/img] I attempted a bit of silliness that was only really funny when it was in my head forgive me [img]smile.gif[/img] I willnow revert to my normally pleasent to look at pink [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2002, 11:03 AM   #46
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Skywalker, I don't think MagiK or anyone else for that matter, has 'vendetta' on their agenda when posting replies.

MagiK, there's no cut and dried 'rule' for posting styles other than not flaming or baiting so you're free to use your discretion.

If it is easier for you (or anyone) to focus on the topic by cutting it up that's ok, but remember how your audience is perceiving things and maybe make fewer sections? [img]smile.gif[/img]

This is really a matter of personal preference as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks Cloudy [img]smile.gif[/img] Always good to get the view from a mod, just in case I do go off the deep end [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2002, 01:12 PM   #47
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Who needs a debating style anyway?? Just throw as many controversial viewpoints out there as possible. When people ask you to account for them, edit your post, say someone else posted it and deny all other knowledge. Then watch everyone else rip each other apart
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 11-29-2002, 02:38 PM   #48
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

I willnow revert to my normally pleasent to look at pink [img]smile.gif[/img]
Magik, that's pink?? Now, this is pink
Old 11-30-2002, 09:13 AM   #49
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
This is an observation and a question, but not a flame. It is not directed at anyone in particular.

Here goes:

I find it difficult to read through posts that quote other posts and have responses intercut into the quote sections or between separate ones. I usually just ignore those and go on to the next one. This style is reminiscent of the "Debating Forum" where this is done quite a lot. Quoting the paragraph and then responding in one section seems to flow better and is easier on the eyes when different colors are used. This seems to happen more on serious, hotly contested topics and not on the fun ones, of course.

Am I the only one with these problem? Your thoughts are appreciated!

Mark
I prefer a coherant single-text arguement. Granted there are cases (eg. Cereks posts) where one can 'split-post' and still have a unified, flowing assertion, sadly this is usually not the case.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-30-2002, 09:20 AM   #50
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
[QB]This is an observation and a question, but not a flame. It is not directed at anyone in particular.
I can think of at least one poster who is split posts with annoyingly frequent brevity.... Gregster.

Quote:
I find it difficult to read through posts that quote other posts and have responses intercut into the quote sections or between separate ones.
So do I.

Quote:
I usually just ignore those and go on to the next one.
No comment.

Quote:
This style is reminiscent of the "Debating Forum" where this is done quite a lot.
Actually I've found serious debaters benerally present unified arguments, moving to splits to emphasise certain elements.

Quote:
Quoting the paragraph and then responding in one section seems to flow better and is easier on the eyes when different colors are used.
Agreed. Flow is wierd otherwise

Quote:
This seems to happen more on serious, hotly contested topics and not on the fun ones, of course.
Of course

Quote:
Am I the only one with these problem?
No

Quote:
Your thoughts are appreciated!
So are yours.

Now...wasn't that annoying?

http://www.hughwilson.com