Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-11-2001, 12:20 AM   #11
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
Well, Last year I was sittng at a downtown Boston outdoor cafe on a very windy day. A homeless looking fellow bummed a smoke from me, so I stood up and went over to this fellow and gave him a smoke. a 6 ft long solid metal pole fell from an awning about twenty feet above and crashed into the chair I was sitting in seconds before, It missed me from where I stood by less than a foot. I turned my head at the loud clang, and when I turned back, the gruffy guy was...gone. Though probably lost in the busy crowd. The metal chair I was sitting in had a huge dent in it, the pole probably wieghed about 20 lbs.

The day before my girlfriend gave me a gift, a totem necklace with a symbol of protection on it, to protect me from violent shoplifters at my urban retail job. I was wearing it when this happened, of course.

An angel in disguise as a stranger, and my lovers thoughful gift, two synchronicities in one this event.
Your story reminded me of something that I have heard several times. I don't remember this because at the time I was 18 months old .

My family and several other people were at a friends house. During the time we were there, one of the worst storms of the century here came it and to keep the basement from flooding two men went out to dig ditches in the yard so it would run off else where. Well, at one point when one of the men was digging, he felt someone tap his shoulder. He looked back and he saw the other guy who was shaking his head. He looked back down at where he was digging and saw a gas line which he had almost hit! He looked back and the other man was on the other side of the yard digging. There was no way, in just a few seconds he could have gotten between the two points. If he had hit that line, the whole building would have exploded with all of us in it!

I'm sure you see why G'Kar's story reminded me of this. Anyway, that's one example of fate or whatever you may call it.

-Jafin

------------------

Proud Citizen of the United States of America
The Original Arch-Mage of the HADB
Destroyer of the evil Bunnies
Proprietor of the Boogre Bar
The not-so-secret admirer of Lioness
Mage of the Court of Lady Lioness
Old 10-11-2001, 06:10 AM   #12
Epona
Zartan

Wow, 250 - very insightful post!
I don't believe in fate, but like 250 I believe that people view things as fate if that is what they think is the driving force.
Coincidence is very common really, it's just that we only see those events that affect us directly in a noticeable way, like Ziroc's story. There may be a thousand coincidences that happen to us each and every day which we don't notice because they don't seem important.

I do have a nice little story about coincidence though - a pleasant one, in a kind of 'every cloud has a silver lining' way.
I was at my uncle's funeral a few weeks ago, a very sad occasion. He died unexpectedly in his mid-fifties. We were in the waiting room, when a woman who had been my best friend when I was about 10 walked in. I hadn't even set eyes on her in 10 years, but often wondered how she was and how we managed to lose contact.
I wasn't aware of any reason why she should even know my uncle, let alone be at his funeral.
It turned out that she had started a dog-grooming business in the village where my uncle & aunt lived, and my aunt had been taking her little dog to be trimmed by my old schoolfriend on a monthly basis for the last 3 years! They had become very good friends in that time.
It still leaves me speechless when I think about it.

Just coincidence though, not fate

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-11-2001, 07:55 AM   #13
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

I believe in fate and miracles, but call it what you will...

My story isn't one in which I got out unscathed, but I did get out alive....

I was in an automobile wreck in 1998. A BIG Dodge Ram T-boned the driver-side door of my little Hyundai hatchback and proceeded to 'skid' down the side of my car. Two things, in my eyes, were fate/miracle. First, the fact I had bought the Hyundai because I couldn't really afford anything else - but it had a wonderful new safety feature (a steel safety bar in the doors). If it hadn't had that, the truck would have been in my lap and not deflected down the side of my car. The second is that, the last thing I saw before he hit me was his driver's side headlight pointing straight at my driver's side window only an ince or so away. Then suddenly I opened my eyes and my head was turned the opposite direction. There is no way I could have moved my head in time to avoid getting my face shredded, but it had been moved. I was still 'scalped' on the left side of my head by the broken window and had to receive about 45 stitches, but if my face had stayed turned towards the window, it would have taken off the left side of my face. And my left eye is the only one I can see out of - I'm legally blind in my right. To this day, I believe an Angel was present and turned my head in time. Most people wouldn't be thankful to have a broken collarbone, severe lacerations to the right forearm and left scalp, but I was. I was out of the hospital in three hours and back to work in four days instead of being in ICU and having extensive plastic surgery. And I am thankful every day that I survived that wreck even though it has left me with lasting medical difficulties. I still remember every detail and I never lost consciousness. I even tried to call 9-1-1 on my cell phone, but forgot to press 'send'. *small smile*
Old 10-11-2001, 08:33 AM   #14
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Wow, 250 - very insightful post!
now who is da matr....

lets not turn this into another Rikard VS 250...

**runs away before Choc God could catch him**
Old 10-11-2001, 09:11 AM   #15
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i belive in coincidence or fate if you call it. i just forgot what happened to me back then.. .. ill try to post it when i rememeber.. hehe

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...
Old 10-11-2001, 10:10 AM   #16
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Hmmm....made me actually think before posting this time, Dan. Congradulations on achieving the rare and significant
Nothing else puts the rest of your life in better perspective than when that very short flashback movie the Head Producer shows may have curtains, also. - i remember it as being said by a h'wood director from the '30s. I guess I have gone back over the times when things were 'dicey', as Charlie would say. What stands out is the difference between near death anticipated, such as car crash, and the sudden, incredibly jarring realization that your life was just in doubt and you had not one say in the matter. cars*shudder* i hate that awful, dawning realization that your little mobile empire has just declared allegience to the laws of physics in denial of your attempts otherwise. you have time to anticipate, for example, if you will go thru the truck windshield before you hit the frozen river below, or as you do, hand braced on the dash, yelling "stop" - and all of a sudden , you are still in the truck, on the road, wondering where the momentum that was clearly enough went? we sort of fell out of the cab of the truck - this is a bridge on the Ice Highway, Alaska - used and useable only after everything has frozen, land, water, plants, animals, humans, etc. span over 150', straight down ice about 4-7 feet thick on river, don't know if 4door crew 4x4 and three juggies would have broken through or not. or just sort of bounced and smeared, a bit. - A nameless, lazy snowplow driver saved our lives by not using the 'blade' or gaurd - ppl live where lots of snow, the gate drops over the edge of the grader plowing the street so you do not get 'bermed in' by the 'wake' of snow it pushes outward from center. - more work to use gate, but it also keeps things like bridges from getting bermed edges, which can drift, which can turn a road into a 'park' in a breath or two. the driver's tire was snubbed by a snow/ice boulder plow had dislodged, but not bothered to move. a foot ahead or behind, no story today. so, if not for some man's sloth, there go i over.

it is different when something cataclysmic happens around you - first of all, if you were close enough for scars, you are effectively deaf for an hour up to a day or so, or forever. the ringing is atrocious, but you are too disoriented to notice much at first, and the first thought is why/where am I?, and the overpowering urge to be elsewhere but not know how to do it, it is extremely dislocating the jagged way your faculties return. When other people around you come to your attention again, it is a double rush first of fear - am I really hurt and don't know it yet, and the feeling you know you must be mostly okay because your next feelings/thoughts are for the ones near you, and your buddies. About 3 months after Reagan (incompletely) bombed libya, a small, and I mean 6 stool hole-in-the-wall small bierstube in friedberg, West Germany, was ineptly and incompletely blown up in a fit of holy war or whatever. guy tried to install the car bomb while car parked at bar. guy either victim of inadequate training, luck, or probably both. Instead of playing darts on the machine right next to the door like usual, the lights were buggin, and with much griping about having to go around the corner and walk about 15' to the other dart machine, we did. still arguing over what game to pick, when picking self off of floor, follow thought process above. Those two stand out most vividly of all, and you know right *shhh* 250 is absolutely right in my opine, it leaves you shaking because you know there is ab-so-freak-in-lut-ely no reason why you are not dead. not your job, address, bank account... nothing mattered, and it was just luck - a favorable random turn of the cosmic die when the universe's desire for randomness passes you over for that guy over there.

------------------
Amanda's Dad - The Best Damn Job, Period.

Official Pin-Up Girl Evaluator/Massager of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
To Err is Human To Forgive Divine, However Neither is U.S. Marine Corps Policy.

[This message has been edited by J.J. (edited 10-11-2001).]
Old 10-11-2001, 10:35 AM   #17
tracey
Manshoon

coincidence happens all the time. i think things tend to be cause and effect - if horrible to people they tend to be horrible back.

if odd things happen, as they do all of the time, then we tend to interpret them as 'we' being lucky etc., but then, other people are hellishly unlucky........ so.......

recent wierd thing: been talking to zeb on the forum, he lives in poland where we possibly have relatives, so been trying to find out about them....... then, the next day i met a man who i knew slightly who turned out to be polish who lives in my area and he volunteered the info that he was the son of a polish guy. not particularly wierd you may think. but......... potential source of some very interesting information.

i think just coincidence, but i could be wrong........

------------------
offended mistress of the illuminati
Old 10-11-2001, 11:16 AM   #18
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well... I couldn't think of anything else... hmm...

there was this time, actually, things happen the other way for me... my curse... really. I always choose the wrong crucial descicions that could have made me happy... like there was this one time on where I was invited to this party, and I didn't go, and they were all raving about it, on where I thought it would suck, and there were parties I would go into but they sucked... it really pisses me off...

------------------

Mithril Cavalier of ALSB
You almost had me? You never had me! You never had your car! It is not about winning by a mile or by an inch, its about winning.