Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2001, 07:48 AM   #121
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
well an Abrams would be a little too much you'd win before you even played the game

Should we start a separate thread?

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 05-17-2001, 08:43 AM   #122
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Should we start a separate thread?

Perhaps!

Pewie!
I have been out and put some flowers to our garden here.. Me!?
Ach, they never grow up. I have caffeine black fingers, not green...

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
Old 05-17-2001, 12:58 PM   #123
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
I remember at uni several American students being very anti British, an on several occasions telling us how evil are colonial past was. Ironically without which there would be no America . However my general observation is that no country ever teaches in children about the mistakes of its country, e.g. Japanese children don't get taught about Japanese atrocities in WW2, British schools don't teach about the British war crimes against Boer civillians, and there are other examples I can think of for many countries.

Can anybody out there dispute this observation?

Firstly, there would be an America, it would just be filled with Amerindians and Amerindian culture; or perhaps the Spanish would have grabbed it.

Secondly, in Australia, some textbooks now use the word invasion instead of colonisation. At school I was educated on the terrible mistakes the Australians made in earlier history (white Australia policy, the "stolen generation" of Aboriginals, the wiping out of the Tasmanian Aboriginie etc etc. I think most of us are aware of it, which creates it's own impact on the collective psychology.

To my knowledge and from those I know, the Deutsch have a similar education and response to their own past darkness.

It's the only way to move forward. However I think it's also important TO move forward, and not get enveloped in shame and self loathing. Pretty much very race has kicked butt against someone at some point. (I'm sure there is bound to be an exeption).

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 05-18-2001, 05:39 AM   #124
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

True Yorick!

I hope indeed that your last sentance comes true!
It would be a shame if we and the next generations couldn´t learn from our misstakes, but then again, each generation has to learn from thei own misstakes. Hopefully, they do minor misstakes instead of the really horrible ones..

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
Old 05-18-2001, 10:23 AM   #125
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hmm, this disussion is still going!?

------------------
You WILL listen to me, or Roger here will be forced to bite your ass:
Old 05-18-2001, 10:28 AM   #126
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Hmm, this disussion is still going!?

Hi Vaskez can't stop to talk now, but please feel free to keep this going, and if possible steer us (me ) back on to topic please.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger