Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-12-2001, 05:46 PM   #1
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi.

Can anyone tell me specifically what this means and if anything can be done about it. This is my IWD game and as I try to leave the map via the door icon the game falls over and I get -

An assertion failed in infinity CPP at line 1763.
Programmer says demand for WED file failed.

I know my version of IWD is dodgy because it wouldn't install on my machine and my bro' read the disc on his PC, copied the files etc, sent them to my machine and kind of installed it all manually for me. I've had no problems till now but I think this is an important place and I think it's the door to Lower Dorns Deep. It's too late to take the game back now so I'm stuck with it and I'm wondering if the above is a CD problem or not.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 03-13-2001, 12:42 AM   #2
JJ/newbie

Charlie, it may be a bit of a hassle, but if you have a corrupted disk, is there not a way to have the company (not the store you bought it at) replace the individual disk that is bad? I have not seen IWD, but there should be some sort of info on the website?

------------------
When given a choice, take both.

Old 03-13-2001, 07:09 AM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yes, Charlie, try Interplay's site - url should be in the Readme file or in the manual

CB
Old 03-13-2001, 07:17 AM   #4
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, have you downloaded the latest patch??just a question, there are alot of them and if you haven´t they might help you with this problem..

------------------

Do electric wolves dream of electric sheep?
Old 03-13-2001, 12:34 PM   #5
Charlie
Lord Ao

Thanks guys.

I d/l'd a patch yesterday (version 1.06 I think) but I don't know if it's the latest or not....didn't make no odds no how. I think that maybe Interplay is the way to go.........gutted.

I just wondered if any programmers out there could say definitively that "this is a disc problem" rather than a PC related one.

------------------
One love, peace.

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited 03-13-2001).]
Old 03-13-2001, 12:48 PM   #6
Tobbin
Red Dragon

I'm not exactly sure if it is a problem with the disk or not, but that error message means it was unable to instantiate a type of that class. That can normally occur if it is either unable to find the file requested, or it is not in the correct format. From what you stated about your friend copying the game over to your system, I'm not exactly sure how that was set up, but there is a possibility that it was not transferred correctly for your machine. I would recommend that you go ahead and contact Black Isle for CD replacement as you will probably need it. The other option is to attempt a CD copy using CD Burner technology, but you will need hacker software, because Black Isle uses hidden file/sector technology on their burns. A lot of Burner software will not see this and will not copy it correctly and it will either come up with errors, or it will tell you to insert whatever CD it is supposed to be.

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 03-13-2001, 04:20 PM   #7
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I used to get that error with Baldur's Gate until I did a full install. I didn't have any problems after that.

For some reason, I recall also havign to erase the cache files (the files in the cache folder -- temporary game storage stuff). However, don't erase these files unless you read it somewhere else.
Old 03-13-2001, 05:23 PM   #8
Hesperex

If the disk was dodgy in the first place why didn't you just get it exchanged then?

------------------

Master Assassin of the Holy Flame.
My website http://hesperex.8k.com

Old 03-13-2001, 05:46 PM   #9
Charlie
Lord Ao

Because it was the last copy in stock, nowhere else had it in stock locally, parking is a nightmare, it was pissing with rain and I'm a lazy bastard.
Old 03-14-2001, 02:02 PM   #10
Hesperex

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Because it was the last copy in stock, nowhere else had it in stock locally, parking is a nightmare, it was pissing with rain and I'm a lazy bastard.

...well thats a great excuse (seriously...sounds like me)

------------------

Master Assassin of the Holy Flame.
My website http://hesperex.8k.com