Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2001, 01:34 PM   #31
Melusine
Dracolisk

BK I think I just spelled it for you...? Tchaikovsky?
At least that's the English sp. in Dutch it's Tsjaikovski and in Russian .... well ask Cloudy, I haven't got a Cyrillic alphabet

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-09-2001, 01:45 PM   #32
Melusine
Dracolisk

Ertai: a pair of things:

1. Yes I know Jerome is moving house but I talked to him just a minute ago!!! He's hopping on and off the board now and then. Anyway, it was just meant as a funny remark, not as an actual question

2. Yes I know there's a woman singing too, I can make the distinction, I'm a singer myself you know?! But you cannot have missed that Hugh has an incredible range an can sing higher than most men could were they just kicked in the tender parts... And his voice has a "souly", raw quality in some of the songs that reminded me of Anastacia.

So, how long are you going to keep following me around the threads and correcting my answers? j/k!

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-09-2001, 01:49 PM   #33
Moiraine
Anubis

Ah, I can hear Hugh saying "This is hilarious !"

------------------
Old 03-09-2001, 01:53 PM   #34
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Well melusine. YES I AM !!!

Sorry i knew it was a funny remark and not an actual question, but i just said Jerome was moving cause maybe you didnt know

And about Yoricks thing, well, lets forget it

------------------
"Let my spells do the dirty work" Ertai, High Sorceror of the Holy Flame
Old 03-09-2001, 01:59 PM   #35
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Melusine and BK: Glad to see someone else like "serious" music. I'm going out on a limb here, Melusine, do you like any opera beside Die Zauberflote (unlaut omitted)? BK, I like Tchaikovsky too. What's your favorite of his?

------------------
Reeka--The Hand of Death
Old 03-09-2001, 02:08 PM   #36
Melusine
Dracolisk

Melusine: ~shakes Reeka's hand~
Well I was just listening to his (tchkvsk's) Pathetique actually, great piece!
I must confess I don't really like Mozart's Italian opera, the language just isn't my thing (well I do like the italian language but not in opera). I really like die Zauberflöte (press Alt + 148 in the Num Lock keyboard ) for its wonderful libretto... it's so profound and fairy-tale like! I even wrote an essay on it a couple of years ago. I also love die Entfuhrung aus dem Serail (the Martern aller Arten aria!). I also occasionally listen to Wagner's operas, although they can get boring if you hear the full version. So what about your favorites?

Ertai: could you please give me a correction of my latest post? ~huge grin~

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-09-2001, 02:40 PM   #37
Lillie
Dungeon Master

Reeka, my favorite from "Mr. T." is Marche Slave. At least I *think* he did that one, either him or Shostakovich (sp?)
Old 03-09-2001, 02:40 PM   #38
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Can't believe it! I love the Pathetique as well. I tend to like "heavier" as opposed to "prettier" music. Have you ever listened to the Pas de Deux from Nutcracker. . . gives me chills. Opera: I like Puccinni because he wrote so many beautiful arias for soprano (I'm a soprano). I really like Wagner, though I agree that he can get long. I think he was a real genius (although a real bastard in real life). I love his use of leit motifs and I have enjoyed seeing that evolve. I also like his telling of the germanic myths through opera. The Liebestode from Tristan and Isolde is tremendous. Also, something I like about Wagner's opera is that you can delete the voices and still have a great piece of music (most of the time). Most strictly classical period (with the exception of Beethoven) is a bit too pretty for me. I love the French impressionists (in painting and music). Debussy for piano, though La Mer is one of my favorites. I personally love to play Rachmaninoff.

------------------
Reeka--The Hand of Death
Old 03-09-2001, 02:48 PM   #39
Melusine
Dracolisk

Reeka, wow! You actually know what you're talking about don't you! You have a great taste (I hate it when people come up to you and say they're into classical music because they think it sounds interesting)
Are you a singer too? I'm a soprano as well, but I haven't managed the "Hölle Rache aria" yet LOL(the 2nd aria of the Queen of the Night) OMG it's so incredibly difficult!!!!
So funny, you mentioned Rachmaninov: my choir's current project is his Vespers! and my younger sister actually did quite a few prestigious gigs of the Nutcracker in Holland, you know the little part with the snowflakes where there are children's voices? She did that with a few kids from her choir when she was younger.
I love the Germanic mythologic background of Wagner too, although I agree with you that he wasn't the nicest person (read Nietzsche's "Der Fall Wagner")

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-09-2001, 02:51 PM   #40
Melusine
Dracolisk

BTW Reeka if you like the "heavier" side of classical music and you're not averse to more modern music, have you listened to Carl Orff? You probably know Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi (O fortuna) from his Carmina Burana, but he's written such beautiful music!

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia