Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2002, 04:15 PM   #11
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

its plain and simple. it was addressed earlier in the thread. America gets threats WEEKLY!! if we shut down everything based on threats, then 1) America would stop everything they are doing every week, and it would eventually be like the boy who cried wolf, and start to ignore it, and 2)terrorists would win. if you are so scared of an attack, then you are falling into the realm known as terror, hence TERRORISM!! im not saying to completely ignore all threats.....far from it actually. to say that bush ALLOWED this to happen is prepostureous. people dont like bush, so they are going to try and ruin his name in any way possible. the media is all a bunch of idiots anyway. they only tell half of the story, and people buy into it like a cult. there are thousands of flights PER DAY in America, and to shut down all of our flights, EVERY time we get a threat, we may as well shut down all of our airports for good. America got threats that bridges would be hit, appartment complexes would be hit, etc. italy was threatened, alot of countries were threatened. did anything happen?........NO! so what if everything were shut down for those "possible attacks" and nothing happened? anyway, i gotta get ready for work, but i just wanted to say that bush might have been away of a threat, but that was just a threat, it just so happens that that particular one was carried out. i like bush, i think he is doing an outstanding job as president. the only issue he has had is this war and he is carrying it out suppurbly. not all presidents can be like abraham lincoln.
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Old 05-24-2002, 04:56 PM   #12
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Id lay money that in some CIA or FBI (or other intelligence agency) office there will be documents that were intercepted showing the 9/11 attacks in some detail, if you know how to interpret them correctly. Id lay even more money that in a nearby office there will be similar documents detailing the next attack.

Of course, these documents will be lying amongst thousands (minimaly) of similar documents with nothing to distinguish them. Its easy to say that they had the information before hand, but only when you know which information is important.
I seriously doubt it..it is known that the a few months before the attacks bin Ladden obtained some sophisticated Frequency Hopping cell phones that were used extensively right up untill he dropped off the face of the planet..the cell transmissions can be intercepted but so far it is not known that any organization can break the encryption, or if they can it probably takes months.

Oh and Morgan...the terror threats are more like hourly.

[ 05-24-2002, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-24-2002, 06:42 PM   #13
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Does anyone realize the sheer MASS of information received in intelligence? The only reason we find pertinent entries now is because it's after the fact and we know what to look for and had the desire to look for it. Hindsight is 20/20, but it doesn't make the process of foresight any easier. Everyone always says the phrase "Someone should". If you're such a genius then what I want to know is the "who" and "how". Come up with a viable plan in these areas and then you've got something worthwhile! You'll find that the "Who" and "How" are much more difficult than the "Someone Should" part! This is your standard politically based mud slinging. I don't think ANYONE wanted 9/11 to happen except our enemies.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:27 PM   #14
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Does anyone realize the sheer MASS of information received in intelligence? The only reason we find pertinent entries now is because it's after the fact and we know what to look for and had the desire to look for it. Hindsight is 20/20, but it doesn't make the process of foresight any easier. Everyone always says the phrase "Someone should". If you're such a genius then what I want to know is the "who" and "how". Come up with a viable plan in these areas and then you've got something worthwhile! You'll find that the "Who" and "How" are much more difficult than the "Someone Should" part! This is your standard politically based mud slinging. I don't think ANYONE wanted 9/11 to happen except our enemies.
Which is why The Dems have shut their mouths, they suddenly realized there is enough blame to go round to everyone....oh and there is the fact that Hillary is going to get lynched bythe people who pay her bills since all the threats to NYC are being made public for this holiday weekend [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-24-2002, 09:26 PM   #15
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
i heard they knew there could be possible hijackings of airplanes, but who on earth could have expected a thing like september 11 ?
Old 05-24-2002, 09:28 PM   #16
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
i heard they knew there could be possible hijackings of airplanes, but who on earth could have expected a thing like september 11 ?
Tom Clancy sort of predicted it.

Mark
Old 05-24-2002, 11:34 PM   #17
Alexander
Drow Warrior

Yes, there are weekly (even daily, now) terror threats - after 9/11.

How many warnings can you count before 9/11? Actually, let me do it for you - zero. Terrorism was the last thing on everyone's mind on 9/10. Did we not even deserve a warning (which would have been taken very seriously before 9/11)?
Old 05-25-2002, 07:26 AM   #18
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Do you know how many flights there ar ein the air at any one time in the USA? Knowing a general thought or plan is one thing, stopping it is another.
Magik, that is exactly what I was going to say, almost word for word. It is a frightening thought that we have agreed more than disagreed recently. I think I need to go have a lie down.

Similar here in the UK - we've had terror threats almost daily since 1971. But knowing about the threat (which of course the govt. did know, no-one disputes that, we were at war to all intents and purposes regardless of whether the word was actually used or not) didn't stop a long line of bombings which resulted in many deaths over that period. I couldn't even begin to give a complete list of the bombings. Knowing about it and stopping it are 2 different things. It would just be impossible. The only thing you can do is be vigilant.
Old 05-25-2002, 08:39 AM   #19
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

As naive as this may sound to alot of people, humility is the only real protection from 'terrorism'. In New Zealand our government and business operations do little to significantly affect/disturb foreign nations and groups. We have no major man-made landmarks or engineering spectacles upon which we bestow copious amounts of pride(although there are some vanity-minded people in Auckland that would like to change that, heh heh [img]smile.gif[/img] ). Thus, organizations bent on violence have little interest in us and our lives.
I don't mean to denegrate others and their way of life, but the more glorious and aggressive one makes themself, the more of a target they create of themselves to jealous, intolerant and hateful eyes.
Old 05-25-2002, 08:49 AM   #20
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Do you know how many flights there ar ein the air at any one time in the USA? Knowing a general thought or plan is one thing, stopping it is another.
Magik, that is exactly what I was going to say, almost word for word. It is a frightening thought that we have agreed more than disagreed recently. I think I need to go have a lie down.
[/QUOTE]Its ok, we won't tell anyone [img]smile.gif[/img]