Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 08-19-2003, 01:15 AM   #11
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

With the choices you've listed I would say Cleric/Mage. Hands down, no competition. Why, cuz of all the options you have at your disposal. Wouldn't it be more interesting to go through the game challenging enemies with a different style each time. No using the same tactics over and over again. You can cast mage spells. You can cast cleric spells. You can use summons. You can equip Flail of Ages and the Mace of Disruption then cast Imp. Haste, DUHM, Tensor's Transformation and go in bashing skulls. You can wear armor. You can not wear armor. You can turn undead and have them fight for you if you're evil. One of the cool things to do with a mage is try different spells in sequencers, triggers and contingencies. With a C/M your possiblities just doubled. I would say try a C/M and see how many different ways you can beat opponents before using the same tactic twice. How's that for interesting? [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-19-2003, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: SpongeBobTheDestoyer ]
Old 08-19-2003, 01:48 AM   #12
Faceman
Hathor

Assassin: Always interesting, definitely worth playing if you have never had a PC thief. As there's a lack of NPC thiefs in the game but there are lots of nice thief-items around this one is the perfect completion of the party. Also with the right proficiencies (Long Sword, Katana) the Assassin can be extremely deadly in backstabbing (septuple!).

Priest of Talos: Interesting for an evil party but if you've played the game sometimes already I assume you won't find a lot new in handling a cleric unless you never used Viconia or Anomen. Also evil clerics only get to charm undead which can be really annoying while good clerics can just destroy them.

Mage/Thief: I assume you re talking Multi-class here. This is basically Jan Jansen. Not a bad choice to play but not really interesting. Nothing new.

Fighter/Druid: Can be really interesting because Druid and Bard are the classes most seldomly chosen. Therefore many people do never get to see their strongholds. Just make sure you don't take the keep if you decide for this one.

Cleric/Mage: Nice choice if you want to improve your magical knowledge. A cleric/mage is great to try out the combinations of clerical buffs and magical attacks.

So after all I'd suggest the Assassin if you've never used a thief as PC he is a must.
If you've always played thieves and fighter-types I'd suggest you get your proper magic dosis form the cleric/mage.
And if you're in for something less normal go with the fighter/druid.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:52 AM   #13
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

The Keep is better than the Grove, as you have a place to store your items...although statues look better in the Grove, covered in ivy.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:16 AM   #14
Faceman
Hathor

I was only pointing out that many people never play druid and thereofre miss the grove while almost everybody tries a fighter some time.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:07 AM   #15
daan
Silver Dragon

Cleric/mage followed closely by a fighter/druid [img]smile.gif[/img]
I found the assasin to be rather boring ( backstab, run .. backstab . .pick up Boots of speed .. backstab, run real fast .. backstab ) after a while.
Priest you already solo-ed once and a mage/thief doesnt do anything but either create a mage that hides in shadows or a thief that goes invisible more often.

So Cleric/mage or fighter/druid IMHO. And Cleric/mage taking the cake.
Fighter/druids will probably end up mostly fighting with some buff-spells and summoning stuff on occasion. The Cleric/mage has the oh-so-wonderfull ability to be a mage and a cleric at mage-casting-speed ( important with Robe of Vecna etc. ) and once in a while be an untouchable tank
Old 08-19-2003, 05:01 AM   #16
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

You know hwat would be interesting? Assasain->Druid! But i think that Assasain`s cannot dual class to Druids. But it would be unique.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 06:05 AM   #17
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

I think a solo shapeshifter-druid would be fun.....

Hey, you get to run around in werewolf form all day. What could be more fun? [img]smile.gif[/img]

It's your choice. Maybe a solo enchanter (no evocation spells) who can only charm enemies and use summons..... Could be interesting, but not necessarily fun.

Cheers,

Moiraine Sedai
Old 08-19-2003, 10:18 AM   #18
Borg
The Magister

Great minds think alike: on Pyrenk's other similar post I suggested Assassin->Druid too thinking it would be interesting. But, I checked and you cannot dual to Druid (unless there is a way through using SK).

However, I would think an Assassin that only uses clubs would be unique. What assassin would use a blunt weapon? And there aren't any overpowered clubs that I know of. If soloing, the Club of Detonation might be pretty powerful, but very interesting. Could you imagine backstabbing with it and then setting a fireball off? [img]smile.gif[/img] (you can backstab with a club, right?)
Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:33 AM   #19
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Hmm, maybe the problem is that for dualing to a druid you need TWO stats at 17, charisma and wisdom. This forces you to drop dexterity or constitution, cause you need 15 for strength as well.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:37 AM   #20
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

I've already mentioned that I want an Thief/Druid a few weeks ago, but as it isn't possible, why discuss it? [img]smile.gif[/img]