Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-01-2004, 08:14 AM   #11
Link
Jack Burton

I've had the same problem as you describe now, Cerek. My computer would crash randomly as well, sometimes while in games, sometimes while doing nothing. Then it started asking me / whining for more virtual memory (to the extent that I thought it was ridiculous) so I gave I pushed up the MB's in the Virtual Memory and now it won't start up anymore I just need a new computer but without any money that's a task unaccomplishable I fear.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 11-01-2004, 08:32 AM   #12
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Don't immediately jump to the conclusion that it's a bad motherboard. It's probably a component, but which one is up for grabs.

I've had this kind of problem with a bad power supply. Replacing the power supply ultimately took care of it without much difficulty (and fortunately, they're not too expensive). Other things could be a bad CPU fan, bad vid card fan, bad memory, bad mobo... basically, any component.

What I'd do is take it back to the computer shop you were just at, explain what happened, and ask them to turn it on and run it for an hour *with the covers on*. That's important, because when they're working with it, they likely have the case open, and heat dissipates quite nicely. Once they see the problem in action, they should then be able to diagnose and repair.

And in the meantime, see if you can find a machine to go gaming on. Times like this, it's good to kill something...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:34 AM   #13
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Of course... the classic thing about computer problems is they don't happen on demand... namely when you want the technicians to see the problem
Old 11-01-2004, 08:39 AM   #14
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I just had the entire system upgraded this summer. My problems started back in May, when my BGII game kept "freezing". I had just about maxed out my 40gb harddrive, so I decided to upgrade to a 120gb.

From there, I ended up replacing the DVD drive, motherboard, harddrive and modem. The ONLY components that have not been replaced are the original CDWR drive and video card.

I'm really hacked off at the first repair center because they tried to say it was all MY fault. It took them over 3 weeks to get my PC back to me and then - instead of "freezing", it would randomly reboot. When I took it back to them, they tried to say that I had "f***** it up" by changing the system specs, but I told them I didn't change ANY of the Advanced Settings on the machine (I don't know enough about PC's to do that). I had changed the screen resolution and a few minor settings, but nothing serious enough to cause this.

Even so, they tried to charge me again for the second clean and re-install and I told the guy I wasn't go to pay to fix a problem I felt they caused...especially after his rude-ass tech actually admitted that maybe he screwed it up when he kept messing up my re-install (my version of XP is apparantly an Upgrade version from 98 rather than a fresh install - even though I bought it new off the shelf).

Well, I appreciate the advice. My motherboard doesn't even have a back on it because it came without it and I didn't feel like waiting another week to get one with a back. They also agreed to knock $40 off the price of the motherboard because of the missing backplate.

GRRRRRRR!!! What really hacks me off is that I gave these yuckapucks a BUNCH of business from the hospital where I work. We've bought two complete systems from them and probably 3-4 monitors - in addition to calling them for miscellaneous repairs over the last few years. Then they SCREW me on MY repair.

BAD BUSINESS, BROTHER!!! The only endorsement they'll get from me from now on is the advice for people to keep on driving right by their store and go to the next place down the line.

And, yeah, this HAS made me lose my normally "Calmth" demeanor. LOL
Old 11-01-2004, 08:43 AM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Well, I've had it be a fan, motherboard AND software problems before so I'd say it's not so easy to pinpoint without testing each possibility.

I sure hope you can find a reliable repair person, Cerek!
Old 11-01-2004, 09:04 AM   #16
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

"Well, I appreciate the advice. My motherboard doesn't even have a back on it because it came without it and I didn't feel like waiting another week to get one with a back. They also agreed to knock $40 off the price of the motherboard because of the missing backplate."

What do you mean by a backplate? Sounds like they sold you a bad motherboard...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 11-01-2004, 09:47 AM   #17
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Can they prove that they actually did a fresh install? Maybe they cut corners, knowing you would never be able to know.

Threaten them with a BBB report.
Then they'll straighten up.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:09 AM   #18
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Can they prove that they actually did a fresh install? Maybe they cut corners, knowing you would never be able to know.

Threaten them with a BBB report.
Then they'll straighten up.
Larry it sounds to me like these meat heads wouldn't know what a BBB report is.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:23 AM   #19
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

It does sound like a hardware problem though and therefore not something that a clean install would fix. Sometimes you just get components that sit uneasily with each other; I guess it's the slight risk you take when not buying a complete system from somebody like Dell as all components would have been tested together extensively.

It's only ever happened with one of my computers - all the components worked fine in different machines, but put them all together and it just causes problems every now and then, with the trademark "windows has been shut down to protect your computer" and then the message "windows has recovered from a serious error" upon startup. It always seemed to blame the problem on my display drivers, yet they were completely up to date and the card worked without a hitch in a different computer.

Assuming it's not this however, your random reboots are likely caused by either

1) inadequate power supply (you mentioned you've spent money on upgrades recently, did you upgrade the PSU as well?)
2) overheating - does your motherboard allow you to view system temps?
3) dodgy memory (less likely but still worth a check)
Old 11-01-2004, 10:25 AM   #20
Elif Godson
Dracolich

when they changed the mobo did they also cahnge thememory? 80% of the issues I have seen is due to memory. I kept having an issue with it on my home pc, worked fine in desktop, doing note pad etc.. but as soon as I loaded photo shop or a game no more then 10 min into it, reboot. Do you happen to know what the name of the mobo is? are you working with Intel or AMD? Hyper Threading or standard. The reason I ask this is because it will be easier to tell if you have the wrong memory on board by going with the manufactuers specs. Like DDR 2700 wont work on a comp that requires pc133 memory unless it has it slotted for it. Yes it can also be the power supply and mobo, but you can buy a cheap stick of memory to test that theory out. I would go back and raise Kain at the original shop, take in all reciepts and all documents and explain to them thouroughly like you would to a 4 year old what the problem is and what all has been done. I have fixed more problems that "professionals" have done then I care to say due to there "superior" intellect. The problem with major upgrades all at once is it is hard to tell which upgrade it is that is doing it. Good Luck C, pm me if you have any issues, I will do wha tI can to help ya.