Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-14-2000, 10:55 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

For those who have finished the game, i was curious as to who thinks which is the better weapon, Celestial Fury or Blackrazor. Don't worry about when you acquire the weapon etc just make a comment on what you think is better, preferably with some kind of supporting argument. They are both +3 weapons and hopefully you will all be familiar with their special effects etc.
Old 11-14-2000, 04:09 PM   #2
Aectann

I vote for Ce;estial Fury. First of all, yu may get it in the very beginning with very weak party. With _any_ party, to be correct, because u just need to cast protection from evil 10'radius and Glabrezu will kill all the other summoned monsters, and you may kick him easily with bullets+2 or arrows+2 or so... For the party upstairs you just need a cleric or mage to cast hold person, when you will bait their fighters downstairs. And - Fury can Stun almost _anything_, except some undead and powerful demons. It can even stun liches! It stuns mages through stoneskin, and you can _easily_ whack them. I killed whole Drizzt's party with my main char weilding Fury in one hand and under improved haste. I had 9 attacks/round this way (just wanted to challenge him, no oofense, ok? ). It can stun beholders. Hell, almost _anything_, as I said. Lightning Strike with its 5% chance strikes quite often too. So - when you are grand master in katanas, and weild CF - you'just kill anything long before it can hurt you. I whacked this Baator demon in Swirfneblin village with few hits, he he. No, really, this katana is much better then all these Vorpals, Carsomyrs, Razors and stuff... I don't really remember last time I had to gulp a potion of extra healing, because noone was THAT fast to hurt me, hehehe
And razor... Why the Hell you need it if you only get hold on it for a last few minutes in the game? You get Ecualizer in the VERY late, when it does not really needed. If they gave it to you at _least_ in the middle, in ch4 or5... then maybe.
Soooo... Celestial Fury forever! I'll murder BioWare if they will remove it from me in BG3 in the same way they did it in BG2, because I can HARDLY imagine ANYONE, capturing me. Even Elminster will suck. These all old ADnD heroes really need to level-up a bit, and get some more magical stuff (speaking of Drizzt)

Old 11-14-2000, 06:16 PM   #3
Tara

Given a choice between the two I'd have to take Blackrazor- if only it could be gotten earlier! The reasons for this are #1) that there are so few decent Katanas that it seems a wasted proficiency slot, without proficiency or better might as well wield a banana peel and hope they slip #2) Immunities- no save vs damage- haste- level drain opponent added stregnth AND regeneration, what more can you ask for? Biggest reason of the two has to be that you can dual wield with one of the other great 1 handed long swords (many more than 1 handed Katanas so wiser slot to know) Now to get Bio to hand it out earlier, and this might actually be a great weapon (for more than a half hour).

Old 11-14-2000, 08:12 PM   #4
Armisael

I'd take the Celestial Fury, first because you can get it right at the start of the game, and secondly because it does fantastic damage, stuns people, does electric damage on occasion and casts lightning bolt. There is nothing wrong with katanas, people - they do as much base damage as a two-handed sword with a sixth the speed factor.

Old 11-14-2000, 08:58 PM   #5
Suul-Yinn

Agree about Katanas. Plus Valygar has 2 good ones as well. I have him dual wielding the Celestial Fury and his own 'bleeder'. I have given him the boots of speed, the ring of gaxx, the earth ring, cloak of sewers, baldurans helm, the girdle of hill giant strength and amulet of magic resistance, together with his own armour this makes him fairly difficult to hit. This makes him a great Tank and he can finish off entire groups before Keldorn gets chance to wield his holy sword, Carsomyr. The stun feature of the Celestial Fury is soooo useful.

Old 11-14-2000, 11:08 PM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Hmm. Sounds like Celestial Fury is everyone's vote so far and I agree. Shame Blackrazor can only be obtained at the end of the game though. I did say not to take the time of acquisition into consideration , just which weapon you thought was better overall but I have to agree with everyone. Celestial Fury is like having a Power Word Stun in your sword. Put it in the hand of someone who can hide in shadows and they've pretty much won any one-on-one battle (except for dragons and such).
Old 11-15-2000, 12:00 AM   #7
Pilgrim
Welcomed New User

wellll, there is no doubt that celestial fury is good, but not taking the time factor in consideration,(that is the time when you get the weapon), I think BLackrazor is still the better weapon. Ever tried to backstab Firkagg with a thief wielding Blackrazor? I have done it twice. Firstly, it drains him like for 4 lvls, which realllly helps alot and furthermore, when you hit him, you get healed! Also you are resistant to his dragonfear. Aft 2 backstabs and 3 rounds of combat i completely drained Firkagg(broke him up into small little pieces) with only my assassin.
Old 11-15-2000, 12:11 AM   #8
Armisael

I got news for you. Firkraag can't be backstabbed. No dragon can.

Old 11-15-2000, 12:37 AM   #9
The X
Dungeon Master

Katanas being used to "back stab" ??? Hehehehe....oh boy.

Still, Celestial Fury rocks!!!!! KABOOM!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2000, 02:23 AM   #10
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

I used a character editor to aquire razor during the underdark. selective cheating for game enjoyment...And mindflayers, beholders, and drow deserved to meet their makers by the blade of such a fine sword.