Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2002, 01:54 PM   #1
whacky
Emerald Dragon

I just bought IWD2 today and i was wondering whether someone would like to help me choose a good class the first time to make the game more fun.... please !

Add : I've gone through the BG series before.

[ 09-21-2002, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: whacky ]
whacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 03:16 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well with the new and nifty 3E rules new classes have been added and some old (and underrated) classes have been improved.
I've been through all the Infinity Engine D&D games so this time I was defintely up for trying new stuff. For example the Drow is pretty cool, quite a bit of unique racial abilities so coupled with the everloving Wizard class makes for a good combo. The Bard has been well improved, since in the BG series and IWD1 it was well... kinda weak.
I've always wanted to play a Bard but up till now the class was practically a Rogue with the exception of the 'Bard Song' ability (another version of the cleric spell 'Bless') so I never bothered. I think they didn't do the Bard class any justice in the previous games, however in this one they do
Bards now achieve multiple unique bard songs which they get every level or so, these are like bardic spells and they're cool because they reflect the character of the Bard as he/she progresses with experience.
The Barbarian class is a great tank - couple this with the Half-Orc and your set. There are even more Cleric deitys to choose from and the ethos abilities are better again - mess around with them and you'll see what I mean.The Druid class has way more unique 'nature-orientated' spells bringing that class alive for what it is - a Druid not a Cleric.Although I haven't tried it yet the Monk class is looking great too.
Above are but a few of the tweaks and positive changes made to the game classes.
I think the difference between IWD2 with its 3E system is that it does way more justice to character classes than its predecessors - it makes each class unique for what it is - a class of its own and not something half way between one and the other.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:43 AM   #3
Ishanda
Dungeon Master

Shamelessly I am here to promote said monk class further. The monk is basically a fighter, but subtly so, coupled with a good team, the monk becomes lovingly devastating.

If there had to be only one thing that makes the monk invaluable it is the following. The monk gets improved evasion, which makes it practically untouched by area effect spells (seeing as it has brilliant saving checks as well).

What does this mean?

Move the monk as a decoy into any nice open space, enemies come running towards him/her; blast off a number of area effect spells on top of the monk. Result: monk stands there laughing whilst your enemies are stuck, fireballed, arrowed from a distance, asleep, lighting bolted, whatever.

Brilliant.

Or...have the monk hide, move up to the most juiciest enemy, use stunning attack, stun the enemy, have all your other fighters quickly run up and pummel enemy into pieces whilst your wizards, etc mop up the rest.

Or...the monk is VERY fast. Run the bigger enemies into circles whilst all the other chars pick em off from a distance.

Or...a particular enemy spellcaster causing you trouble....no problem....the monk attacks so fast that the poor spellcaster's spell fizzles all the time. (mostly anyhow)

Anyhow, you get the picture
Ishanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 09:29 PM   #4
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

If you want to try a fun class, go for a female 1/2 Orc barbarian, give her the female 1/2 orc voice, it's great [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2002, 09:03 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah I agree the voice is realistic but kinda...freaky, I mean imagine dating a girl with a voice like that ! " Time to crush some skulls!!"
Old 09-29-2002, 10:07 PM   #6
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

It's "time to crush some BLOODY skulls!" =)

Imagine how intimitading she would be, built like a ripped body builder, light green skin, two handed axe and a full steam of barbarian rage [img]smile.gif[/img]

Maybe not girlfriend material but what a fun tank!
Old 09-30-2002, 02:34 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

It's D&D's answer to the She-Hulk! [img]redface.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2002, 07:03 PM   #8
myungbass
Manshoon

i think shes kinda cute ::gets arms riped of by a 1/2 orc female warrior::

....oops
no no! put it on rocco ya look scary!<br /><br />now rocco, are ya sure yer oh-bee kay-bee? ::snicker::<br /><br />Shepherds we shall be<br />For thee, my Lord, for thee.<br />Power hath descended forth from Thy hand<br />So feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.<br />We will flow a river forth to Thee<br />And teeming with souls shall it ever be.<br />In Nomeni Patri Et Fili<br />Spiritus Sancti
myungbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 09:16 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well Myungbass, I *DID* warn you....I just knew there was something strange about that big lass you were dating. It was that green skin you see - when I questioned her about it she told me she lived in a tanning booth for awhile and then threatened to : "Open you up and eat manflesh for dinner" if I didn't be quiet...But sunbeds don't leave you that green.........do they? [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2002, 08:11 PM   #10
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

heh. she just lacks attention. i suggest you buy her a pet to keep her motivated and busy.
a pet Rhemorhaz perhaps?