Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2002, 03:07 PM   #61
MagiK

I agree 100% with the following:

The Mods are the LAW.

This is not a place of free speach, it is a private board owned by an individual so free speach issues are not relevent.

I agreed to the TOS when I accepted an account here.

Disputes you may have with Mods MUST be done through PM or Email and NOT in the public boards.

I AM aghast and saddened by the following:

My nude beach thread is used as the example of unacceptable topics especially in light of some other topics. The originator of this thread asked, would you talk to a 10 year old you didnt know about nude beaches in real life...no...but then I dont go chasing down children to hold conversations with. Would I discuss those beaches with my children in the room...Yes I have and would..I was talking about nudity and NOT sex. But I do not argue with the reasonijhg or the rights for the thread to be closed...Im just sad that it is the EXAMPLE being used to illustrate badness.

Old 02-06-2002, 03:09 PM   #62
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Garnet FalconDance:
As long as the discussions are held in a mature, non-cursing/flamebaiting manner, then it should be allowed within reason. For instance, I'm a poster on the "Pedophilia and the Church" thread. I am also a mother (two of my younguns are homeschooled so around when I post). Thus far, I have absolutely no problem with them reading that thread. It may hold a controversial 'adult' theme, but the discussion is being conducted with a clean-languaged respect. Such (the topic) is an unfortunate and reprehensible part of our society and certainly taboo, but it exists.

Posts which condone or advertise pirated software, etc. are not acceptable as that is clearly against the law (rather than the mere discussion of their existence).

Am I understanding the difference clearly enough, Saz (or Cloudy or any other mod)?

Garnet, you have a very clear picture. [img]smile.gif[/img]

BTW, just thought I'd mention, I like to read your posts. They are usually well written and obviously well thought out.

The main thing to keep in mind here as well, is the fact that IW is like Ziroc's house. It is NOT a publicly owned medium and so he can make rules as he chooses. Frankly I think he's pretty fair about them. [img]smile.gif[/img] And we do get alot of young people here by virtue of being a gaming forum.

Cloudy
Old 02-06-2002, 03:17 PM   #63
Neb
Account deleted by Request

In my opinion the Mods do a good job, certainly better than some other forums I've seen where neither the Admin or the Mods ever ban any trolls or delete offensive posts.

But it would make their job SO much easier if we just all tried to NOT post offensive things and IGNORED it when someone else did, or if their offensive post seems to be based on mistaken information then do nothing more than tell them where they're mistaken.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-06-2002, 03:20 PM   #64
ʆë®Ñï†Ý
Zhentarim Guard

*peeps in* Everything seems to be getting heavy... ~bounces in and runs around hugging everyone~ Mods are lovely and fair ppl doing a hard job. And it's an honour to be in Ziroc's house! ~jiggles happily~ *blows kisses all around* ~special SsSSmMmMoOOOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoCcChHhHEeEs SSs for our founder Ziroc!~

*singing, "We're really lucky, luuuucky luucky lucky!!"*
Old 02-06-2002, 03:49 PM   #65
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
You didnt peeve me, youve satisfied me, as I have no more quibbles.

And I am not unhappy at all. It ain't your fault the US is how it is, and I know in an ideal world, you could run the forum without the constraints off the outside legal world.

And if u agree with my second point, and the first is nullified, Im once again completely satisfied.

And that old woman wouldn't have got away with that in England, she'd have been laughed away!

Cool. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] And I agree with you on all your points...especially about the old woman. Sad thing is, it didn't use to be that way here either. I don't know at what point things changed. It's really sad.

Just out of curiousity, have you ever seen the movie "L.A. Story"? Silly movie, Steve Martin and a British actress named Victoria Tennet, I think...anyway, the one scene in the movie that I remember so well was when her character had just arrived at L.A. and was talking with Steve Martin and a bunch of other people. When they asked her if she was tired from her flight in, she laughed and said lightly, "Oh, nothing that a shower and a good f--- wouldn't cure." Everyone at the party stiffened in horror, except Steve Martin's character, who was enchanted by her.

Anyway, I brought that up to sort of show the difference between the two cultures: the girl's use of the f-word, in her culture, was completely acceptable, whereas the others at the party (American) were mortified. I think we kind of have that a little bit here as well. It's one reason why I do allow certain "slip-passes" on lingo, as do the rest of us. It's only when it's taken to extremes, and used abusively, or certain terms that are just completely unacceptable, that we have to step in.

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 02-06-2002, 03:58 PM   #66
Lavindathar
Harper

Glad you understand Saz, and I'm glad you didn't take it like I was dissing your country...but it is hard for me to sometimes understand American culture.

AS to the LA example, I can see that happening, and over here, IRL, for example, at college, I will walk in, and hear at least 5 different words, 20 times, within 10mins. Never used offensively (apart from joking)...i.e - calling one of your mates a silly f***.

So thanx for understanding, and I will try to take all this into account if I ever make a "sensitive" post...but if i swear...ITS CULTURAL!!hehe, thanx Saz.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:05 PM   #67
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

Just out of curiousity, have you ever seen the movie "L.A. Story"? Silly movie, Steve Martin and a British actress named Victoria Tennet, I think...anyway, the one scene in the movie that I remember so well was when her character had just arrived at L.A. and was talking with Steve Martin and a bunch of other people. When they asked her if she was tired from her flight in, she laughed and said lightly, "Oh, nothing that a shower and a good f--- wouldn't cure." Everyone at the party stiffened in horror, except Steve Martin's character, who was enchanted by her.

Cheers,

You know the only line from that movie I remember is the one where Steve Martin is getting ready for work, and says something like "Its a good thing I don't have breasts, I would never get out of the house in the morning..Id stay home and play with them" or something along those lines...good movie..I thought. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2002, 04:23 PM   #68
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

You know the only line from that movie I remember is the one where Steve Martin is getting ready for work, and says something like "Its a good thing I don't have breasts, I would never get out of the house in the morning..Id stay home and play with them" or something along those lines...good movie..I thought. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hee hee, I remember that one! My favorite was the rhyme he would say: "The pointy birds, O pointy-pointy, anoint my head, anointy-nointy!" [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 02-06-2002, 05:21 PM   #69
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

quote:

Disputes you may have with Mods MUST be done through PM or Email and NOT in the public boards.

- The first post has been edited, never my intention to mean what it sounded like *sorry* [img]smile.gif[/img]

quote:
I AM aghast and saddened by the following:

My nude beach thread is used as the example of unacceptable topics especially in light of some other topics. The originator of this thread asked, would you talk to a 10 year old you didnt know about nude beaches in real life...no...but then I dont go chasing down children to hold conversations with. Would I discuss those beaches with my children in the room...Yes I have and would..I was talking about nudity and NOT sex. But I do not argue with the reasoning or the rights for the thread to be closed...Im just sad that it is the EXAMPLE being used to illustrate badness.

[img]smile.gif[/img] I wasn't using it as an example of badness but an example of a thread that some people (including me, until I had a think about it) thought shouldn't be closed down. As for chasing down children to hold conversations, you don't really have control of that on an internet forum. Kids will read what they want to read whether you intend it for them or not and while you might be happy for your kids to be involved in mature conversations another parent might not. And that is what it all comes down to - respect for other people views and opinions. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again to the Moderators and Ziroc for doing such a great job!

Phil

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Downunda ]

Old 02-07-2002, 04:18 AM   #70
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:

Once again Sigmar, thanx for ur concern. I deleted the post, because a mod thought I wud get suspended for it. I on the other hand, thought it was perfectly aceptable. But in this time of unstability, I thought I best delete it.

I don't know what that post was, but if it was anything that was openly critical of a mod or their performance then you know that our ToS does not allow that do be done in public. This has been communicated many, many times. If you are unhappy about something that a mod has done - email them.

quote:
Ok, considering I was the one who was part of the disagreement on the nude beaches thread, I will say I agree with what Downunda says, and I think that we should all respect the moderators.

But I do believe in freedom of opinion and speech...but if this greatly offends someone, and it can be seen why, then I think that censorship is perfectly ok.

I believe in freedom of speech too. I also believe in respecting the wishes of the owner of a house that I'm staying in. Contrary to what most people think, Ironworks is NOT a free country - it is private property "owned" by Ziroc. If anything it is a benevolent autocracy. This is usually the root of all misunderstandings.

quote:
There is only one little quibble I have, but I am not going to argue as it was Big Z who made the comment: He said that kids should not read posts about nude beaches....now, I think this is a regional difference. My likkle bro (Beaumanoir) is only 13, and if I told him he was too young to look at a thread about nude beaches, he'd laugh at me. He knows every swear word in the book, and he has probably seen many naked people (not in a sexual way, but maybe passin on a beach or somethin) whilst on holiday.

He is 12. I am 17. And if the thread is held in a mature fashion, I don't see why a 8 year old cant talk about nude beaches.......if you follow.

A bit narrowminded of you, don't you think, mate? You need to see the flip side of the coint - for every worldly 13-year old like Beaumanoir, there's one who is quite naive and innocent (they do exist, you know). We need to cater for ALL kinds here - not just the streetwise.

quote:
EG - Just checking back on GD, in the top 10 threads, 2 read:

Pedophiles and the Church - (I think he spelt Pedophile wrong)
Bra Shopping

Both of these too me seem nothing subjects (as in trouble wise), and if both are held in mature conversation will be fine (i've not read either as of yet)...but aren't they as bad/if not worse as a discussion on nude beaches? I'm not questioning, just wondering

You're allowed to wonder and you're allowed to disagree - just don't make an issue of it in public. That's called fishing. Email Ziroc, Saz or myself if you want further clarification on anything. I ALWAYS respond to any email sent to me, no matter how trivial.

We're not trying to sweep anything under the carpet here - but you need to trust that we can do our jobs effectively here.

quote:
BTW - this isn't trying to cause an argument, just offerin my opinion, and if what Z says, goes.

Thanks, mate. Your opinion is always appreciated - just express it in a tactful, respectful way and you'll always get a fair hearing.

Edit: I posted this response before I read your replies, Lav. Hope I'm not inflaming this, I just wanted to put my [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img] in.

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: Memnoch ]