Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2000, 03:13 PM   #1
Loonthetic

Has anyone used the Find Familiar spell sucessfully? If so, can you tell me step by step?

Old 12-25-2000, 03:22 PM   #2
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Hi, the one thing the manual doesn't state regarding Familiar's is that only the protagonist can find them. That means that your character has to be a mage in order for you to have a Familiar. NPC's cannot have familiars.
If your character is a mage and you still cannot find one then I don't know what to say.
GL
Old 12-25-2000, 03:29 PM   #3
Loonthetic

That's the obvious part. I have cast the spell in just about every place and no luck. Nothing happens. Have you actually done it? If so, can you tell me EXACTLY how? This is reallllllly buggin' me....

Thanks!

Old 12-25-2000, 03:42 PM   #4
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

Don't get mad at me but

I just casted it
i've casted it in several places
and I always got a familiar
Old 12-27-2000, 07:02 PM   #5
Halscion

like a 'summon thing' spell, you have to pick the place where you want the little guy to appear. unintuitive imho.

Old 12-28-2000, 12:34 AM   #6
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

Select and target an open area to cast the spell. Select your familiar when it appears ( its small!!!) and look at its abilities. Talk to it and you'll get a variety of dialogue choices. One choice is to pick it up and tuck it away in your inventory where its safe.

My familiars are rarely outside my backpack for very long. Mages of different alignments get different familiars. I've played two mages so far and they each had a different familiar. The chaotic nuetral has a fairy dragon that casts one cool spell. The other one( i forget his alignment) had a little-bitty bunny rabbit, cute and useless.

Also I heard of a bug that causes you and your familiar to seperate if you leave an area while the familiar is outside the characters backpack. So the familair isn't dead but is gone unless you goto that specific area again and find it. Is it possible you succeeded in your first try and didn't notice(familiars are small). Then left the area, and your familiar behind?
Old 12-28-2000, 12:40 AM   #7
Armisael

I got a cat. Fairy dragons are for neutral- and chaotic-good characters. I've heard the pseudo dragon, for lawful good characters, is far better. Generally speaking, the neutral familiars are for stealth and pickpocketting, the others are for minor spellcasting. I've had a couple of pre-patch problems with familiars, but none involving the actual summoning of them.

Old 12-28-2000, 01:54 AM   #8
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Meaning kensai/mages can cast this spell and well, a very popwerful character who wields katanas and has a familiar by his side... that sounds quite fun!