Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2001, 01:09 PM   #1
frostg1ant
Dungeon Master

Hi,

I was purusing some of the older posts and came across several of the guild quests in Valeia. I think I may have erred and would like to know if I need to restore from an earlier save.

In Valeia I joined a few guilds, but I don't believe I received all of the guild quests as I didn't have enough money to let everyone join. I discovered that I missed two quests for Toad Village:

Give Mekdawa the Toad Potion (+1 Guild Advancement, 200 XP)
Investigate Toad Village (+1 Guild Advancement, 200 XP)

I am in Toad Village right now and I believe Mekdawa was the Toad I met by Nymph Lake. I didn't get either of these quests before leaving Valeia. My question is if I go back to Valeia after I finish Toad Village and get the Toad Potion quest and the Toad Village quest will I still be able to deliver the potion to Mekdawa and get credit for the Village quest or do I need to restore all the way back to when I was in Valeia?

Also a few questions on role ascensions. I never seem to have enough gold to advance my party. I have plenty of experience (levels 5-7), but all my characters are still in their original roles. My stats are now sufficient to support new roles (e.g. barbarian, ranger, warlock, etc.). When should I focus on training my characters in new roles? Since I never have enough money is there something I am doing wrong? It seems like Identify takes up the majority of my funds even if I group all similar objects with one character and identify them all in one shot.

Any help or tips would be appreciated...

Thanks,

frosty (still a dumb W&W newbie)

P.S. When I met Mekdawa he told me about Ekbu and Ukabu and then he ran off and paced around the lake very fast. I couldn't seem to catch up with him to engage him in more conversation! IS this a bug?
frostg1ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 01:25 PM   #2
aestra
Dungeon Master

You should still be able to finish both the Mekdawa and toad quests, assuming you can get them. It's surprising that you didn't in the first instance. Mekdawa walks around Nymph Lake permanently so you can go and see him anytime, and walking into toad village and talking to a few people will sort out the Toad Village quest with Smitty.

Yes, Mekdawa running is a minor problem, but I've never had a problem. You can catch him if you run, and also just get the potion ready to give to him before you talk to him, and click on him as soon as he finishes his talking and has the chance to run away.

With regards to money, it is a problem. There are some spoilers on this forum about ways to get money, including the built in Inn loophole and the recurring ghost phenomenon. Let me know if you want information on those ways of obtaining money and I'll explain them. Otherwise, you just have to spend wisely, identify wisely and sell anything you don't need.
aestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 01:34 PM   #3
frostg1ant
Dungeon Master

Thanks for your reply aestra! My concern I guess is that I wouldn't be able to get the quests since (at least in the case of investigating toad village) they would already be complete. I just didn't want to keep going if I stood no chance of getting those quests when returning to Valeia.

So, after Toad Village it sounds like I need to go back to Valeia, get the quests, and try and join all my characters to a guild and get as many quests as possible. Am I completing Toad Village too early or is it the next thing to do after the Crypt? I was going to do Toad Village and then head over to Ishad Na.

Thanks again,

frosty

quote:
Originally posted by aestra:
You should still be able to finish both the Mekdawa and toad quests, assuming you can get them. It's surprising that you didn't in the first instance. Mekdawa walks around Nymph Lake permanently so you can go and see him anytime, and walking into toad village and talking to a few people will sort out the Toad Village quest with Smitty.

Yes, Mekdawa running is a minor problem, but I've never had a problem. You can catch him if you run, and also just get the potion ready to give to him before you talk to him, and click on him as soon as he finishes his talking and has the chance to run away.

With regards to money, it is a problem. There are some spoilers on this forum about ways to get money, including the built in Inn loophole and the recurring ghost phenomenon. Let me know if you want information on those ways of obtaining money and I'll explain them. Otherwise, you just have to spend wisely, identify wisely and sell anything you don't need.

Old 11-20-2001, 01:41 PM   #4
Sark
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi frost.

>I think I may have erred and would like to know if I need to restore from an earlier save.
Probably the quests that cause things to happen cannot "re-happen" for other chars - namely mon, jubas thobers, ring of saints - but i could be mistaken.
(i know that i didnt get mon the sculz when my pr joined the wa guild as paladin coz i'd killed him) As for your earlier saves, it depends how far back you'd be willing to go....
this is one of my "bugbears" as i have ended up restarting several times now, having found out things which impacted my characters negatively in some way.... but it's not overly advisable, from me at least, as the game can lose its' appeal that way.

>Give Mekdawa the Toad Potion (+1 Guild Advancement, 200 XP)
I found - perhaps a bug - that the potion quest can be done at any point as it is giving an individual char the advancement etc.

>Investigate Toad Village (+1 Guild Advancement, 200 XP)
not sure on this one... don't think it would work if you've already killed the monsters, but haven't tested it.

>Also a few questions on role ascensions. I never seem to have enough gold to advance my party. money is a big issue in the game, at least the early part.... i'd say read some of the threads for getting gold. one way i use, although it's a little tedious is buying
enchanted crossbow bolts in the wa guild and selling them back - it's a lot of clicking but can amass money reasonably well, but there are better methods. (depends on if you feel it is 'cheating' - reminds me of the days of ultima3 and wanting the +2plate and +4bows, raiding a couple of treasure rooms that always popped on re-entering a dungeon)

>When should I focus on training my characters in new roles?
something i did was make a little spreadsheet of require stat-points for the roles and then put my chars stat points in cells underneath. also, going to the guild and making a note of the points required for each role can help - or looking at the book....
As far as the new roles, there are comments in the some of the threads about starting the training then joining the other guild then cancelling the training, so you can do that guilds quests and also get trained in str/dex etc.
example - a priest has the easiest time, i've found, and i can train str, int and spi each level... (and i think that giving a donation raises presence, though i haven't checked that)

>frosty (still a dumb W&W newbie)
at my 5th time around i found out stuff and muttered some. [img]smile.gif[/img]

>When I met Mekdawa he told me about Ekbu and Ukabu and then he ran off...
Don't ye hate that. [img]smile.gif[/img] I think most do.
Sark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 01:54 PM   #5
aestra
Dungeon Master

I don't think killing the monsters makes a difference, since that is not part of Smitty's quest, but Shinwikis. Put another way, you don't have to kill them to satisfy Smitty's quest.
Old 11-20-2001, 01:55 PM   #6
aestra
Dungeon Master

Yes, Toad Village should be done before heading to Valeia in terms of difficulty of monsters and storyline.
Old 11-20-2001, 02:03 PM   #7
frostg1ant
Dungeon Master

Speaking of Mon the Sculz...where can he be found? I do have that quest I believe.

Is there anyway to view all your character's quests? (probably a stupid question, but I am at work and cannot look in the manual or in the game right now).

Thanks again,

frosty

quote:
Originally posted by Sark:
Hi frost.

Probably the quests that cause things to happen cannot "re-happen" for other chars - namely mon, jubas thobers, ring of saints - but i could be mistaken.
(i know that i didnt get mon the sculz when my pr joined the wa guild as paladin coz i'd killed him)

Old 11-20-2001, 02:44 PM   #8
Dragonrider
Dungeon Master

If you have a problem in giving the toad the potion try this. Put the potion in the slot right behind the money bag. Let him initiate the conversation. When you have to answer yes to the ukabu question. Click on yes then start giving him the potions. You should be fast enough to complete the transfer for all six party members before he says go now.

As for Mon the Sculz when you get to where you can see the water but are still on the path look slightly to the left you will see him in a little while.
Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 06:02 PM   #9
Sark
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Greetings program. [img]smile.gif[/img]

>Is there anyway to view all your character's quests?
You mean all the quests they are on/have done or all the quests they can do? If the former, click "Journal" then "Quests" and you will see names of people like Smitty or Roendalf etc, then click on a name and you will see what you've been given/done. If the latter, you might want to check some of the spoiler threads possibly, or mebbe one of the list could post it. (I do have the list, but it's at home, sorry)

Oh joyous day. Kale rama teletubby.
Sark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 08:16 PM   #10
aestra
Dungeon Master

Mon the Sculz just randomly appears west of Valeia once you have received the quest. Walk around and you'll probably bump into him before long. Generally the same for the other kill specific person quests.