Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-08-2004, 04:41 PM   #21
Gxc
Elminster

I just use stuff that came with my computer and ad-ware and also spysweeper.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:48 PM   #22
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Use a browser that isn't so easy for spyware to get at. The only reason it CAN change your home page is because using a predictable browser (which IE is, being a browser that can't be removed from the most popular operating systems in the world) puts your homepage in a predictable place. Also, since it's in the Windows Registry, the spyware doesn't have to go digging around your harddrive to find a file, which could be in any number of places.
Firefox is excellent, Opera is meant to be good (some people swear by it. I don't like it as a rule). Spyware does not affect these nearly as badly as it does IE. Run one of these, or any other browser that isn't a plugin or overlay for IE, and you won't have nearly as many problems with anything. You may have problems with some pages refusing to work in anything but IE, and when that happens, try complaining to the web masters - it sometimes helps. The problem with these sites is that they often use "HTML" that ONLY IE supports, or they use ActiveX - which is a non-portable (= Windows only) function, which is also the cause of alot of IE's problems. So, most other browsers don't support it - especially Firefox (and anythign else based on Gecko), because it is designed to be cross-platform.
Anyway, use Firefox (or Opera or Mozilla or Konquerer or Safari, etc) with a good anti virus and a good Firewall, and you shouldn't have any problems. You may still want to run ad-aware once a week for a while to be safe, though - not *all* of it specifically uses IE vulnerabilities, only most of it.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:37 AM   #23
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

thanks for the suggestion guys

at the current moment my computer is running with
norton AV - real time scan
norton firewall
zone alarm
spyware guard realtime scan
spyware blaster realtime scan
AVG antivirus real time scan

spysweeper (will expire soon so I am experiementing abit with other programs so i dont have to rely on this one.)

scanning for spyware would be
adaware
spybot
spysweeper
AVG
norton AV
hijack this

a little bit overkill eh?? I will tone it down abit by next week or so once i know the spyware is removed. these programs do hog alot of memory.
maybe i will leave avg, norton (av,firewall),zonealarm and spyblaster

Catch me if you can..
Old 10-09-2004, 04:59 AM   #24
dplax
Jack Burton

That list has started looking like mine. You have a few programs I don't have and I have one or two you don't have. I do guess that for some spyware it is overkill, but the thing is that there are spyware which only one of these programs finds.

Old 10-09-2004, 05:13 AM   #25
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

thats true.. i found alot more spyware now with certain programs which is stange indeed.

Catch me if you can..
Old 10-09-2004, 06:40 AM   #26
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:

norton firewall
Where did you get this? Is it available free for download? Any difference from Zonealarm ?
Old 10-09-2004, 06:45 AM   #27
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I think that Norton Firewall can't be downloaded becuse it comes in Norton Antivirus 2004 I think so you have to buy it.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:07 AM   #28
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

No, Norton Personal firewall, can be bought seperatly so I assume it can be downloaded for trial or something, but I advise against it, ask Lennon, we have had so much trouble with it, it just isnt worth it, go with Zonealarm. Norton's firewall is horrible when it comes to networks so keep them apart.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:09 AM   #29
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Ok, Kakero, you can download a free trial here
Old 10-09-2004, 08:46 AM   #30
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Norton Firewall sucks. Very much so. I won't go into detail about the problems I've had with it here, but anyone can PM or email me if they want me to. It also isn't the role of a Firewall to keep spyware out. It doesn't help that alot of it comes through channels that bypass firewalls: there are ports that can be guaranteed as open, such as the HTTP in port. Normally hackers can't get through these ports, but programs often can - if you use IE.

Anti spyware programs are all well and good, but it's a lot of trouble to go to to keep your privacy... I don't scan my home every 2 hours for hidden microphones and cameras, and we shouldn't have to do the same with our computers. Also, these programs are second-rate solutions: they can't be perfect, and by the time you remove the spyware, damage is potentially already done. Your system can be labelled as a target for future attacks. That isn't a good thing.
And those auto protect against spyware things? Combine with a good anti virus autoprotect (which you should have), a firewall (which most people have for other issues), your web browser, and you suddenly don't have much memory left, and your computer can run as slowly as if you had the spyware.

For these reasons, and the reasons I rambled about in my last post in this thread:
Forget Firewalls. Forget removal tools. Forget auto protects. Get Firefox.