Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2003, 11:50 AM   #1
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I am thinking about a new possible hobby (like I need one!). Home brewing! I have already determined most retailers of kits to be rip-offs. I have found cheap sellers of 5 gallon cubitainers ($5), which are perfect for fermenting. They have a vent hole perfect for making a simple airlock out of plastic tubing and a plastic cup. Perhaps I can obtain some from a fast food restaurant. They use them for holding oil for the deep fryers IIRC. A propane turkey fryer is perfect for boiling the wort. Siphons for aquariums look great for making wort siphons. I've pretty much got the equipment angle worked out.

What I need to know.

Can you use common twist cap beer bottles? If gently cleaned and sterilized, can you reuse caps? Where are some good places to obtain barley malt extracts, hops, and yeasts for good prices? Many microbrew places sell by the pound and charge $4 or more per pound! The lowest is about $3. Quick figuring shows this to be about the same price as buying the beer! I've found one supplier in Texas that seems very reasonable as long as you buy 12 or more pounds at once, but I'd like to have some more sources.

Anyway, I'd like to get some ideas/comments from anyone willing to give their input.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:06 PM   #2
Calsiumus
Drow Warrior

hmm is this not elegal? or that might just be in sweden...
Old 12-31-2003, 12:11 PM   #3
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Perfectly legal in the US, although some local statutes may prohibit it in dry counties/cities. You can only make like 800 gallons a year I think.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:15 PM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Calsiumus:
I'm not sure about the exact laws regarding this in Sweden, but I'm quite sure you're allowed to brew your own beer and make your own wine (otherwise my dad is a criminal ). Perhaps selling it is illegal.

I'm not even sure about whether it illegal to make 'hard' liquor or not. It's probably in the lines of 'it's legal to own a distillery but illeagal to use it to produce alcohol'.

As for Sir Kenyth's question about where to find the ingredients; being a non-American I can't answer your question accurately, but in Sweden these kind of things are available in liquor stores. You may want to try there.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:14 PM   #5
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

Forget hops! tffff... Get potatoes and make some vodka. Then set up a stand at a heavily populated Russian community. ( I like to prey on stereotype)
Old 01-02-2004, 11:16 AM   #6
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Sigh! Thanks anyway guys. I thought it might be a long shot as this is a gaming forum, but we have such a diverse group I though someone might have experience in this area. Perhaps there are some brewing forums I can check out. Anyway, feel free to give me pointers!
Old 01-02-2004, 11:25 AM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
You should try to contact some of these people, they'll have all the info you need. Also, try to find some "beerforums", they are out there, you just need to know where to look. I lost the link to a pretty good international "beertalk" community, but if i manage to find it, i'll post the link here.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:11 PM   #8
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2004, 07:17 PM   #9
Calsiumus
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
quote:
Originally posted by Calsiumus:
I'm not sure about the exact laws regarding this in Sweden, but I'm quite sure you're allowed to brew your own beer and make your own wine (otherwise my dad is a criminal ). Perhaps selling it is illegal.

I'm not even sure about whether it illegal to make 'hard' liquor or not. It's probably in the lines of 'it's legal to own a distillery but illeagal to use it to produce alcohol'.

As for Sir Kenyth's question about where to find the ingredients; being a non-American I can't answer your question accurately, but in Sweden these kind of things are available in liquor stores. You may want to try there.
[/QUOTE]Im sorry for my unknowing in this area but is this not the same thing as (have to use the swedsig word) Hembränt? in school we where always thought never to tuch hembränt becuz it could make you blind...
Old 01-02-2004, 10:30 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

You know...I just realized that we should have an alcoholic beverages forum where people talk about drinks and stuff.

Lord of Alcohol would be the moderator