Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2001, 03:03 PM   #11
Lord Arn Dragonfire
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
I've heard that the movie Dune in particular is supposed to be very, very bad when you compare its plot with the book's plot. Anybody seen Dune? I haven't. I also generally avoid movies where I've read the book.

The movie is quite good actually...but I havn't read the book so I can't tell u if u gonna get disapointed... but if u gonna see it I warn u it's looooong...

------------------
Bronze Cavalier of ALSB, symbol and protector of goodness

May light illuminate u all
Old 10-04-2001, 03:06 PM   #12
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Count me in too, I love reading, maybe it has something to do with our common interests, since most people here who are RPG'ers love reading.
And I agree, most of the films I've seen from a book were nothing compared to a book.

------------------
Resident cantankerous sorcerer of the Clan HADB
and Sorcerous Nuttella salesman of the O.R.T

Long live HADB!!!

'What doesn't kill me makes me stronger'
Old 10-04-2001, 03:07 PM   #13
Lord Arn Dragonfire
The Magister

A movie I think I gonna get disapointed to see is lotr... of the trailers I have seen it isn't at all as the books...really hope the whole film is much better than the trailers

------------------

Old 10-04-2001, 03:08 PM   #14
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Trust me on this the 6+ books in the dune series are much better than the movie In case you are wondering the movie is about the first book only.

------------------

All blades cut, be they made from metal or wood, but the sharpest and deadliest blade is the one of knowledge.

An Archmage of the HADB
Old 10-04-2001, 03:15 PM   #15
Lord Arn Dragonfire
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade:
Trust me on this the 6+ books in the dune series are much better than the movie In case you are wondering the movie is about the first book only.

r they planning for new movies, continuing the story?

------------------

Old 10-04-2001, 03:16 PM   #16
tracey
Manshoon

ooer, i feel a bit wierd now since i don't do RPG at all. but i do read a lot. actually, my ex-boyfriend used to do live role playing, and i did join in a few games on the hills but to be honest, i prefered, strolling along and chatting to actually 'doing' stuff. (oh, a lunchtime was nice. beer and sarnies and cake.)

eccentric is spelled like that.

reading is a marvel. i've recently re read 'a canticle for leibowitz' a dystopian sort of religious sci fi. very dark.

and like larry niven a lot esp ringworld. also douglas adams and robert heinlein (but only the good ones like time enough for love, and stranger in a strange land) alfred bester and aldous huxley. i really loathe and detest fantasy with an absolute passion, apart from harry potter which is utterly superb although for children (ha) and diana wynne jones (also children's). my mom still tries to get me to read lord of the flipping rings which i've tried and found dull, dull amd then some more dull.

also really like william gibson, poppy z brite and peter ackroyd, he's well wierd, never quite know where he's going, ultra atmospheric highly recommend the house of doctor dee.

seem to be going on a bit, so shutting up now!

------------------
offended mistress of the illuminati
Old 10-04-2001, 03:30 PM   #17
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer Alex:
Books are usually much better than films. I much prefer a good book to a film. But then many people call me weird....
Ditto. IMHO, you can show things in books that you can't in films, for instance the character's thoughts, emotions, etc. Also, in books you have to imagine a world from the description, in films you get everything "in a package" so to speak, I prefer the former.
Never to mention that I read books faster than I watch films!

------------------

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Guardian of the Temple of Aerie (specialized in GenCon and BG)
Most Illustrious Arch-Magess of the Illuminati
Lux omnis est
Old 10-04-2001, 03:35 PM   #18
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Personally, fantasy isd my favourite genre, I don't buy in to SciFi as much, maybe I'm subconciously escapist.
But I do like other genres of books, just recently I read this book that was a mix of fantasy, SciFi and History, can't remember what it was called though.

------------------
Resident cantankerous sorcerer of the Clan HADB
and Sorcerous Nuttella salesman of the O.R.T

Long live HADB!!!

'What doesn't kill me makes me stronger'
Old 10-04-2001, 03:45 PM   #19
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Talthyr Malkaviel:
Personally, fantasy isd my favourite genre, I don't buy in to SciFi as much, maybe I'm subconciously escapist.
But I do like other genres of books, just recently I read this book that was a mix of fantasy, SciFi and History, can't remember what it was called though.
Well, for Heaven sakes - GO FIND IT!!!! (providing you own the book and didn't check it out of a library) I'm always looking for something new to read. Not that I have the room for more books, but hey, who needs a bed to sleep on? I'll just pile my new ones on there!

btw - I read all kinds, mostly fantasy, but horror, sci-fi, anything's good for me!

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-04-2001, 04:44 PM   #20
Djinn Raffo
Ra

The Dune movie cant compare to the books at all. But it did have some good parts...like Sting as Feyd. That was awesome. And the guild Navigator looked pretty weird an all but what was cool i thought were the Navigators associates, those guys in black leather that spoke through a microphone. They were cool.

What about Bridget Jones Diary...That movie was all right i thought...

Conan the Barbarian movie...though not really anything like Howards originals i still enjoy this movie quite a bit. It was one of the first movies i ever saw in a theatre.

Ya Blade Runner i liked a lot too.

Apocalypse Now is the best movie adaption of any book i ever seen though. It is a re-telling of Conrad's Heart of Darkness and imho absolutly incredible.