Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Default New Shelock Holmes anyone?

I liked it. I loved the guy from Mad Men doing Moriarty. I will refrain from spoilers, but I liked it quite a bit. Anyone else with reactions?

Rotten Tomatoes gave it a sub-prime, but favorable, rating, and rated the new MI movie (which I haven't seen) as better. I'll take RDJr. and J.Law over T.Cruise most days, though.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: New Shelock Holmes anyone?

I loved the first movie and plan on taking the boys to see the new one this afternoon. Also plan on taking them to see MI: Ghost Protocol later in the week.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
dplax
Jack Burton

I much preferred the new Sherlock TV series from the BBC.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Thumbs Up Re: New Shelock Holmes anyone?

I heard the second one sucked at 'RT", but I like the actors, and think it'd be cool to see.

What I am DEFFINANTLY watching tomorrow is Mission Impossible 3... Tom actually did some of the stunts off the massive Tower in Dubai (Was called the Burj Dubai, now I think its called the Burj Khalifa).. I am into buildings, so I watched them build that at a skyscraper website forum for years... over 2000ft tall!!!!

Dubai has many amazing buildings, but uh oh... now they hit a wall with the economy... its halted many new builds...

BTW, the World Trade Memorial Fountains iced up today in NYC... they had men down in the footprints of old Tower 1 and 2 breaking up the ice.. They CAN control the water temps, but I guess they didn't work right.. Gotta remember, these are the 2 largest fountains in North America, and when you work with that much water, it takes time to adjust.. You cannot build a smaller model of this to test expected problems.. but here it was today-- and the link is always a current shot:

http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzrobotic1.jpg

The New World Trade 1 is now seen from miles! 91st floor is going up!
World Trade 2 (The cool, sliced edged one) is now above street level with its core.
World Trade 4 almost as tall as WTC7 now...

Sure is coming along!

(Below is iced up fountains)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wtc1_dec 18 2011.jpg (1.13 MB, 7 views)

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I feel like the new sherlock movies are too "jackie chan action" type. I prefer the old sherlock holmes movies that I used to watch on Hallmark channel. It felt more "19th century english"
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
I feel like the new sherlock movies are too "jackie chan action" type. I prefer the old sherlock holmes movies that I used to watch on Hallmark channel. It felt more "19th century english"
I also think it is more than a stretch for Sherlock Holmes to also be a master at martial arts and pugilism, I actually think Holmes would be even more impressive if he were able to avoid fights by using his wits, but I DO enjoy the layers upon layers of clues in each movie.

Saw the second one yesterday and will definitely be buying it on DVD when it comes out, since I'm sure there are things I missed in the first viewing.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
I also think it is more than a stretch for Sherlock Holmes to also be a master at martial arts and pugilism, I actually think Holmes would be even more impressive if he were able to avoid fights by using his wits, but I DO enjoy the layers upon layers of clues in each movie.

Saw the second one yesterday and will definitely be buying it on DVD when it comes out, since I'm sure there are things I missed in the first viewing.

Yeah.. If I remember right, wasn't the Original Sherlock Holmes more of a reclusive person.. Didn't he use drugs or something weird? Wasn't 'Pals' with folks...

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
Yeah.. If I remember right, wasn't the Original Sherlock Holmes more of a reclusive person.. Didn't he use drugs or something weird? Wasn't 'Pals' with folks...
I've not read the novels, but the general image I got from what little exposure I did have is that Holmes was incredibly intelligent, incredibly observant (much like the Mentalist on TV) and also very knowledgeable about a wide variety of subjects. The movies bring out these aspects as well (such as knowledge of the properties of rare plants, etc). But I picture the novel Holmes as the type of kind who would find a physical fight completely unnecessary and almost completely incomprehensible. It would make no sense to exchange blows because it would not lead to any real solution of the problem.

I imagine Holmes would be almost baffled if confronted by some ruffian in the street or market. But I could be wrong. Since Robert Downey Jr. has made such a tremendous comeback into the Good Graces of moviegoers through the Iron Man movies, it makes sense his version of Holmes would be physical. Even so, it IS intriguing how he mentally runs through the entire fight ahead of time, showing that he IS still applying his intellect, even in the basest situations.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: New Shelock Holmes anyone?

Eons ago I had a bound set of all the original Sherlock Holmes stories written by Sir Doyle. I don't recall him ever getting into a fistfight but he did use a gun on rare occasions; Watson, however, was always armed with a gun. Holmes could fence (sabre and epee) but that was sport, not for actual combat.

The way that Guy Ritchie and Robert Downey, Jr. are portraying Holmes, though, is how he would have fought had he engaged in that activity. There is evidence that he had some knowledge of fighting arts, though, especially after Richenbach Falls--he recounts traveling in the Orient for a few years before returning to London.

Holmes was a recluse and, despite having a knowledge of etiquette and social graces, could be downright insulting to people in conversation.

Holmes was indeed a drug user--cocaine, I believe, which was widely prescribed by doctors in that time for a variety of symptoms, including both "anxiety" and "depression".

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I never read any of the novels when I was younger (don't know why, just never took the time). While Holmes was not portrayed as that type of character in the books, I agree the movies provide an accurate portrayal of HOW Holmes would fight if he were inclined to do that. So, it isn't a big issue with me and it does add extra excitement to the movies.