Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-21-2000, 03:38 PM   #1
Asphyxiate
Manshoon

(ooc)
Greetings, curious what fellow mage's thoughts were about familiars. Included here is an excellent article detailing precisely what familiars are about. I didn't notice any evidence of this implemented in the game - was wondering if others have had a more favourable experience.

FAMILIARS
by Woodelf

WIZARD

Wizard's familiars are a summoned animal, permanently bound to the wizard's very lifeforce. The two lifeforces are intermingled, making both stronger, yet dependent on one another. Thus, if either is killed, the other frequently dies also. This intermingling causes them to share emotions, oftentimes confusing the young or weak-willed wizard. Also, within a mile, either can use the other's senses, and communicate in a limited telepathy, about as effectively as a person can communicate with a normal animal. Within sight, perfect mental communication is possible, to the point where some pairs almost lose individual identity. In addition to strengthening the lifeforce (The bond itself can provide up to half the Hit Points of the weaker of the two, provided they are within a mile of each other. These phantom Hit Points are regenerated after a complete night's rest.), the bond enables the wizard to use her familiar as sort of an auxiliary mind for storage of spells. A number of spell levels equal to the augmented Intelligence of the familiar may be thus memorized. The bond also enables a wizard to cast extra spells, limited by the levels she can normally cast. Provided the familiar and wizard are within sight of each other, a number of spell levels per day equal to the level of the wizard when the bond was forged may be cast, though this doesn't grant the ability of extra memorization. Thus, only spells from the extra pool granted by the familiar or high intelligence may thus be utilized.

PRIEST

Priests have no way to call a familiar, but one is often granted to a particularly devout or powerful priest. The abilities and restrictions accompanying it vary with every deity, and perhaps every familiar, so detailing them is impossible. In general, they serve to strengthen the link between the deity and the priest, augmenting granted powers to enforce the deity's will on Aega.
Old 10-21-2000, 04:00 PM   #2
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

FAMILIARS, HAH, GET YOURSELF AN ARMY OF UNDEAD IS WHAT I SAY.....
Old 10-21-2000, 04:19 PM   #3
Asphyxiate
Manshoon

Undead are pathetic. There should be enough spells in even a paltry mage's book to render their attacks useless then rent them asunder.
Old 10-22-2000, 07:23 AM   #4
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

REALLY NOW? WHAT ABOUT THE BONE GOLEM? (NOT STRICTLY UNDEAD I KNOW) THEY ARE HIGHLY RESISTANT TO MAGIC AND COULD EASILY SHRED A WEAK MAGES BODY ASUNDER...
Old 10-22-2000, 07:47 AM   #5
Son_of_Boo

If I play a Druid (don't know why I would, 'cus they are pretty lame) can I get a Pet/Familiar in BG2 ? Or do I have to be content with lame-ass "summon-spells"?

Old 10-23-2000, 05:04 AM   #6
A Mage named Rikard

You don't get a famial with a druid but druid aren't that weak. You just have to use a avenger

Er another question
Is iut only possible for you main character to get a familiar.

As for you question asphie
No my fairy dragon didn't learn a ■■■■■■■ spell except for invisibity and mirror image what he already had so
How bout yours???