Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-07-2004, 03:26 PM   #1
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Can anyone talk me through exactly how you are supposed to do this? I know a fair bit about computers, and have been trying to do this for a couple of hours, but so far I have had no success. Basically there are 2 computers (for now) that I want to start the sharing. They are connected via a netgear router.

The first pc is connected via ethernet to the router and is running on XP SP2.
The Second computer is connected via a wireless card and is running on XP SP1, this is the one that is connected to the printer.

I have installed the software on computer #1 (although it keeps telling me it can't find the printer, which I know since it isn't plugged in there.)

Also I have tried setting it up through Network Setup Wizard, but it doesn't seem to work. On this computer (#2) I can now see a shared Docs area in network connections, but it isn't displayed on the other and nothing else happens.

Is this because of some router settings, or maybe because the printer is plugged into pc2 instead of pc1, when 1 is connected via ethernet?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ross
Old 11-07-2004, 03:44 PM   #2
philip
Galvatron

I don't know if they fixed it in winXP but for me the trick was to run the network wizard and tell it you don't have internet when it asks. Then just configure the rest of the network as normal.

It had me trying like weeks before I decided to just push all the buttons and see if it worked.

Hope it helps!
Old 11-07-2004, 03:48 PM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

If I do that do I have to reconfigure the internet though? Or does it just run fine?
Old 11-07-2004, 03:51 PM   #4
philip
Galvatron

For me it just ran fine. But since it's such a strange way to configure something I wouldn't dare to say windows will do it that way another time.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:52 PM   #5
philip
Galvatron

BTW that was on the wireless connected computer. I configured the other one normally.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

You mean the computer connected via ethernet? Also, could it be an SP2 issue or something?
Old 11-07-2004, 04:02 PM   #7
philip
Galvatron

It could be an XP issue but I just thought you might want to try it if they haven't fixed it.

I meant the computer that's connected wireless. So not the one you've got hooked to the cable
Old 11-07-2004, 04:12 PM   #8
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Click start, settings, Network Connections.
Then in the new window, at the left hand side should be a blue bar.
Near the top is a box called network tasks, click "Set up a home or small office network".
Click next, and follow the instructions.
I'd reccomend doing it on the computer directly connected to the internet.
It is just like setting up a network, but instead of cables you have the WLAN cards
Old 11-07-2004, 09:33 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

ARe you running the setup wizard on computer 2 first, and then on computer 1? I hope so, because 1 can't see it until 2 allows it to be shared.

Also, can 2 and 1 see each other? IOW, are you using DHCP internally so they're on the same subnet and everything? If they're in different subnets, they won't see each other easily.

FWIW, if you're planning on sharing this with more than two PCs, I'd go for a wireless printer port plugged into the back of the printer. It's far, far easier... trust me [img]smile.gif[/img] My "old" printer has a netgear print server plugged into the back, and my "new" printer has a network connection built-in.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:33 AM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Bungleau, if you have two printers with the wireless ports can multiple pc's on a wireless network use both?