Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2003, 06:26 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Arrow

Yes I'm going to chat about urine for a minute LOL! [img]graemlins/laughsaywhat.gif[/img]

My boss' wife, who is 80 years old, just underwent a hand operation that is supposed to take away all pain of arthritis, well once it heals in a year or two [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img] Not sure what they did exactly, but no doubt they took out some bone from her wrist area. Well her hand keeps swelling. They tell her to keep her hand up, but also give her pain meds which make her sleep, so how can she keep her hand up while sleeping? She was telling me about her dilemma this afternoon, I suggested trying ice. Then our new secretary, who used to live in Russia, chimes in. She says "Maybe you should try oooren." Well neither of us knows what she means at first (accent and all), but eventually we figure out she is saying "urine" LOL! I started laughing and asked her "What?! Urine!? What in the world are you suggesting, having her husband pee on her hand LOL?" [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] I also asked what it is supposed to do to help with swelling. She tells me it has been a long used practice, well mostly before the days of modern medicine, but still used today in her country. She claims if you soak a rag or piece of cloth with it and wrap it around the swelling it will take the swelling down.

Well I have NEVER heard of this before. I still say ice would be her best bet LOL. So my question to you all out there is, have you ever heard of this before?

I did find a few things on the net. Seems urine is used for all sorts of ailments LOL! Here is one link as an example:

http://www.healthseva.com/content/book_cd_review.php3

Crazy stuff LOL. And NOOOO, I'm not "interested" in using Urine for myself LOL, I'm just curious about it cause that is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing!

[ 05-30-2003, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 05-30-2003, 06:29 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, i'm open for an experiment. Anyone in pain here ? I'll gladly pee on you and see if the pain goes away.

ROFL Crazy Russians. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2003, 06:31 PM   #3
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Lady Z......can I just be the first to say........someone is taking the piss [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 05-30-2003, 06:32 PM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

And here I was thinking they only used it to dye clothes
Old 05-30-2003, 06:35 PM   #5
Charlie
Lord Ao

Yeah I've heard of that before. I saw a documentary once on it too, There was this guy who was kind of coming out of the closet about using his urine for his health, drinking it every day and all sorts. Ugh.. [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]

I just thought to myself..."you might think you're doing yourself good drinking that stuff, but you've no idea how much damage you've just done to yourself on national TV."

Good God!!! How could you eve.....UGH!!!
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 05-30-2003, 06:40 PM   #6
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I think that urine might be just a moist-heat application, which will take down swelling. As for drinking it, it is (usually) a perfectly sterile electrolyte solution, but if you drank all of your urine, all of the time, you would die from azotemia, or too much nitrogen in your bood.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:49 PM   #7
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

rofl...My grandmother told e abouta pctice where oldwomen use it on their(gross thought) face toslow down the apperence of wrinkles
Old 05-30-2003, 07:02 PM   #8
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
I think that urine might be just a moist-heat application, which will take down swelling. As for drinking it, it is (usually) a perfectly sterile electrolyte solution, but if you drank all of your urine, all of the time, you would die from azotemia, or too much nitrogen in your bood.
Yes but..but...I mean, isn't urine basically considered as "waste"? All the crap that your body didn't want? So how could that possibly be healthy and sterile?

Reality Show Recaps
Old 05-30-2003, 07:18 PM   #9
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

It is waste, but not infected waste like feces. The kidneys main role is not to excrete waste but to maintain the body's electrolyte and acid-bace balance, so the content of urine is mainly water, sodium, potassium, chloride, and bicarbonate;carbon dioxide, depending on what it's acidity is. There are also nitrates and bilirubin degenerative products, from protein breakdown and hemoglobin metabolism which give it the distinctive smell and odor, and various other substances, depending on the individual's health status, such as glucose, but the healthy individual's urine is quite sterile.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:35 PM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yes, I've heard of using it for jellyfish stings and I did know that in a healthy person, urine is sterile, but drinking it? [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] I don't think so! blech!

As for the poor woman's hand and wrist...um...I'd go with a warm compress or something!