Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-05-2001, 05:22 AM   #1
TheDutkanator

What's the best video card you know of that I could download for free? I want to compare it to my current one. I have the ATI Mobility (M4).

Nicolai Dutka
Game Developer
Archon Games (My Company)
My Website
My YouTube Channel
Old 11-05-2001, 05:29 AM   #2
TheDutkanator

A video card is different from a driver, right? How do I know which card I have? I had no problem finding my driver, but I don't know where to look for the card. Anyone? (If they're the same thing, please ignore my idiocy [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Nicolai Dutka
Game Developer
Archon Games (My Company)
My Website
My YouTube Channel
Old 11-05-2001, 05:34 AM   #3
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

ROFL, sorry Dutk....but you'd have trouble downloading a video card! The video card is the actual PCB (printed circuit board) that you plug into the slot on your motherboard. A driver is the piece of software that tells windows and games how to communicate with your card. You can find out which card you have by going into control panel -> system -> display adapters/video cards....I forget the exact categorisation in windows....but you get the idea. Then you should go online to the site of your card's manufacturer and search for the latest drivers....which of course you might already have...but having the latest drivers almost always inproves performance.

The best video card you can buy (well in the "normal" price-range) is the Geforce 3 at the moment.

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Vaskez ]

Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 11-05-2001, 07:24 AM   #4
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well, hehe, driver is the one you download for the video card... the video card is the Hardware...

I would Recommend like Vaskez, GeForce 3... actually little competition here on that card... well, [img]smile.gif[/img]