Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2001, 06:10 PM   #1
Pangur Ban

Even though Halloween is traditionally not a well celebrated even in Australia, over the last few years it has been getting more interest in our local area. Three years ago, 5 "trick or treaters" came calling to our door, 2 years ago, about 10, and last year, about 15. My wife, having experienced Halloween in the states, always puts a few decorations up, and has a bowl of treat bags by the door for callers.

Last night the street was quiet. Not a single caller. ( Very sad ) Was Halloween this quiet in other parts of the world as well?

Pangur Ban

------------------
-------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------
"Sad is the society where people may walk their dogs in public without wearing a helmet and protective kneepads ...."

[This message has been edited by Pangur Ban (edited 10-31-2001).]
Old 10-31-2001, 06:13 PM   #2
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

You beat us to it. Halloween is tonight for most of us state-side. We'll let you know tomorrow. I doubt there will be much difference from the usual.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 10-31-2001, 06:15 PM   #3
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Hmm, I'm sorry to hear that Pangar Ban. Well I live in the US so Halloween is tonight. And oh yeh, tis always a very busy night, darned near an institution here.
Old 10-31-2001, 06:16 PM   #4
Sorcerer Alex

I'm not even sure what Halloween is supposed to represent. I mean sure, I know the pumpkins, bats, vampires and kids that come knocking on your door etc, but it seems rather pointless to me.

------------------
Later,

Old 10-31-2001, 06:18 PM   #5
Garnet

The trick or treating hasn't begun here yet even tho generally by now (getting dark) the little kids at least make their way through. I think it's a combination of way too much commercialization and fundamentalist religious groups decrying Halloween as a day of the 'devil', scaring off innocent merry-making.

Personally, I'm torn between reminiscing about the good ol' days when a kid got a homemade goody and wasn't afraid to eat it and now, as an adult, holding it as a more spiritual day. For the Celts, it's actually New Year's and an extremely important holiday, a day of remembrance of loved ones gone.

Sorry, mood's really icky...(and the day started so well, too)

------------------
~Garnet FalconDance~

• Guardian of the Forests
  • Ranger-Protectoress of Ironworks
  • Scourge of Hobgoblins and Assorted Bad Nasties Everywhere![/list]

Old 10-31-2001, 06:20 PM   #6
Garnet

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer Alex:
I'm not even sure what Halloween is supposed to represent. I mean sure, I know the pumpkins, bats, vampires and kids that come knocking on your door etc, but it seems rather pointless to me.

I *know* this isn't your way of asking what Hallow E'en stands for traditionally and where the trick or treating comes in........................?

------------------
~Garnet FalconDance~

• Guardian of the Forests
  • Ranger-Protectoress of Ironworks
  • Scourge of Hobgoblins and Assorted Bad Nasties Everywhere![/list]

Old 10-31-2001, 06:22 PM   #7
Pangur Ban

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer Alex:

Oct 31 is the eve of All Saints Day. It is also supposed to be the day when the veils between the physical world and the spiritual world are at their thinnest, thus allowing spooks, ghosts, hobgoblins, etc, an opportunity to visit ...

I'm not quite sure where the door knocking and candy bit came from, though.

Pangrrr.

Old 10-31-2001, 06:23 PM   #8
Sorcerer Alex

Quote:
Originally posted by Garnet:
I *know* this isn't your way of asking what Hallow E'en stands for traditionally and where the trick or treating comes in........................?

No one celebrates it in Europe, so I don't see how I'm supposed to know.

Old 10-31-2001, 06:24 PM   #9
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Pangur Ban:
Oct 31 is the eve of All Saints Day. It is also supposed to be the day when the veils between the physical world and the spiritual world are at their thinnest, thus allowing spooks, ghosts, hobgoblins, etc, an opportunity to visit ...

I'm not quite sure where the door knocking and candy bit came from, though.

Pangrrr.

Maybe it comes from some kids dressing up like ghosts to scare gullible people into thinking that supernatural creatures actually HAD come to their door and then demanding candy not to haunt their houses?

Old 10-31-2001, 06:29 PM   #10
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Pangur Ban:
Even though Halloween is traditionally not a well celebrated even in Australia, over the last few years it has been getting more interest in our local area. Three years ago, 5 "trick or treaters" came calling to our door, 2 years ago, about 10, and last year, about 15. My wife, having experienced Halloween in the states, always puts a few decorations up, and has a bowl of treat bags by the door for callers.

Last night the street was quiet. Not a single caller. ( Very sad ) Was Halloween this quiet in other parts of the world as well?

Pangur Ban

Absolutely nothing doing where I am - now 11.20pm and not a single trick-or-treater has been heard. There were some fireworks - but people have been playing with them for a couple of weeks now, as usually happens in the run-up to Bonfire Night (Nov 5th).

Pangur Ban - this is the first time I have seen your cat sig - brilliant! I love it bits, lol!

------------------

Here be Dragons!
Proud to be Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.

"If I say something to you and it can be taken two ways, and one of those ways upsets you...I meant the other one."

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 10-31-2001).]