Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 03-01-2005, 10:17 PM   #11
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jsalsb:
posted today, march 1, 2005!! Go to http://www.dungeonlords.com and sign up for public beta testing!!!
I couldn't find the spot to sign up for beta testing. where exactly ?
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:50 AM   #12
NickCowan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was wondering if anyone knew the required system for Dungeon Lords? It looks like it's well-liked by the people who decide if anything's worth liking, but I have a suspicion that my computer's going to need a new graphics card - in fact, I'm almost certain of it, in addition, my 256Meg RAM is starting to get rusty - 5 years ago 256 was amazing... what's happened to the world? *sigh* Anyway, if you could help me find out how much my poor PC needs re-hashing, it would help. ta.
I like pizza, I like bagels,<br />I like hot dogs with mustard and beer<br />I\'ll eat eggplant,<br />I could even eat a baby deer<br />La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la!<br />Who\'s that baby deer on the lawn there?
NickCowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:23 AM   #13
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Don't know the required system, and I can't find any suggestions of it, but 256MB of RAM isn't barely enough to boot XP, let alone run a decent game Considering the prices for memory these days, you should be able to boost to at least 512 without breathing hard... and if your OS will take it, to a gig.

Decent graphics cards are now cheap too. The *good* ones aren't... 'cause they're still up in the really expensive range... but a 256MB card shouldn't be too costly.

Post your specs and I'll give you my own thoughts of what I'd upgrade on your machine. And then you can take 'em for every penny you paid for 'em
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:01 PM   #14
NickCowan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK, make you're you're sitting down when you read this... it isn't very pretty - my machine was cheap, and at the time, ran everything that I had very happily. This was 18 months ago, and things have been moving on a little quicker than I anticipated...

Intel Celeron (yes, I know) 2.4Gig
256 (though it reads 248, which makes me suspicious) DDR RAM
80 Gigs of HD Space on two drives,
SiS 650_740 Graphics Card - and I don't know its size, but I suspect 8Meg... yes, prehistoric

everything is pretty much standard, of yeah, it's an Acer Aspire 300T. I bought it in the MIddle East, so if you're scratching your head as to where in the world someone would sell one of those, there you go!
I like pizza, I like bagels,<br />I like hot dogs with mustard and beer<br />I\'ll eat eggplant,<br />I could even eat a baby deer<br />La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la!<br />Who\'s that baby deer on the lawn there?
NickCowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:35 PM   #15
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm.... there were some viruses that would "hide" a bit of memory, but I don't think it was 8 MB. Is Windows telling you there's 248, or the CMOS? I don't trust Windows to do that kind of math...

I'd open it up and take a look inside. What I'd be looking for is...

1. How many sticks of memory are in it, and how many memory slots are there?

2. What kind of memory is it (PC2100, PC2700, PC3100, etc.)? That's part of my shopping list, either for additional or replacement memory. Don't just buy whatever's out there; your motherboard may not work with it.

3. Hard drive is decent enough... for now [img]smile.gif[/img] 'Course, that depends on just how much of that 80GB you're already using...

4. Is it an AGP or PCI graphics card? An 8MB card would be pretty hard to find, even 18 months ago. A 32MB would be bare minimum, and 64 the most common. I'd upgrade to at least 128 if you can get it. Match the same type of graphics card, too. And since AGP comes in multiples (1x, 2x, 4x, and 8x), make sure that your new vid card can work in a multiple that your BIOS supports.

5. Processor is decent enough. Yeah, it's on the slow end (he says with an Athlon 2600+ installed), but it should do just fine. You might look at upgrades, but I wouldn't prioritize it highly.

You didn't mention the OS, but I would suspect XP or 98. 98 is limited to 512 MB of memory total; XP is not.
-+-+-+
Old 03-11-2005, 05:06 PM   #16
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

BTW, it appears that the first DL beta has started. I didn't get invited

Apparently, there may be several rounds. So there's still a chance...
-+-+-+