Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-05-2002, 09:07 PM   #11
WinterWolf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

All I can say from my experiance of multiclassing a monk to a cleric is that I wish I would have started earlier in the game then I did. I probable started around chapter 2 or three wiith my monk/cleric. The thing in theory would work but for the fact that she wasn't balanced. I wished for a long time I hadn't even started it. Now she is 5 cleric and 10 monk and she works very efficiently when it comes to healing or casting offensive cleric magic. Do the point of my rambling is this, if u wanna multiclass keep it even or 10/5 20/10 so you don't make the game harder for you than it needs to be.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:14 PM   #12
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

I was also thinking that a good way to get around having a rogue at ALL would be to have 2 Human Fighter4/BarabrianX Since they would be human they would each get two points per level up so you could dump that into Disable Device for one and Open lock for another and not have cripppled any other skills since Fighter really dont need any to begin with.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:38 PM   #13
Nightowl2
Galvatron

If you do that, keep in mind you can increase Detrap and lockpick only every other level, so the skills take a long time to develop. Also, Detrap is an INT skill, and with low INT, there will be a penalty on the detrap roll. A 3 INT means -4 to detrapping.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 04:31 AM   #14
Khazraj
Dungeon Master

For sheer firepower I made a sorcerer/wizard. By the end of normal mode, level 9/8, with the intention of completing HOF. The final result is lots of spells as compared to the normal versions. Only problem being that magic is sort of "different" in HOF mode.... Oops?
Old 11-06-2002, 07:57 AM   #15
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

"Also, Detrap is an INT skill, and with low INT, there will be a penalty on the detrap roll. A 3 INT means -4 to detrapping."

Right, this is another reason I like my Tiefling Rogue/Wizard - he starts with a 20 in Int and keeps raising it on level-ups. His main roguely functions are to Search and Disarm, so his Int bonus gives him a big boost.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:08 AM   #16
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

I've found my drow rogue/sorceror to work very well. I maxed out on intelligence, and put quite high charisma and dexterity. The high intelligence gives him loads of skill points, and by alternating levels, I can get skills for one point rather than two. A s a result, I have high skill in about three-quarters of the available skills. I suppose a rogue/wizard would be good, but as it is my party leader, he needs high cahrisma anyways...

I also don't like wizards all that much. A wider spell selection... sort of. You have to choose only a couple of spells per level, and to change them, you have to remove them add new ones and then rest. Also, if you do not need a particular spell at that point, you are losing out on other spells, with a sorceror you can use spells to suit your need s at that specific time... if you don't need a spell use something else.
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Callum Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 11:23 AM   #17
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

I like Sorcerers as well, my party goes like this:

Dwarf Fighter
Drow Fighter
Human Cleric (Talos)
Tiefling Rogue(2)/Wizard(X)
Aasimar Sorcerer

The Sorcerer has a 14 Int, enough to max out concentration
spellcraft, bluff and diplomacy - he's the leader most of
the time.

They started out with just 5 characters, and somewhere around
the Wandering Village added another, a Drow Sorceress.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:36 PM   #18
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Khaz, what do you mean, "magic is different in HOF mode"? The only difference I noticed is that spells usually aren't as effective as in normal, mainly because all the enemies have such good saving throws.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 06:20 PM   #19
Magness
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by toriuxik:
If you like lots and lots of sneak attack damage 10 levels of rogue isn't enough. And what other reasons is their to use a rogue, other than to ubercheese?

Also, what is the point of tossing in those ranger levels? To duel wield? If you take 4 levels of ranger, your going to be wasting levels I would think. I have seen suggested usually that one should keep their fighter and ranger at the same level abouts, and this is not productive really, unless you are actually going for the rangers abilities (which are nicer at higher levels...).
Ranger/Rogues are awesome!!!

A lot depends on what kind of rogue you want to play, but a 50/50 ranger/rogue can be pure death.

1. Yes, because rogues usually wear light armor, the ranger dual classing is a nice bonus.

2. Rangers can take Hide, Move Silently, and Search as trained 1 point skills. Take these when leveling up as a ranger. Take the other rogue skills when leveling up as a rogue. Take some Wilderness Lore when leveling up as a ranger while you're at it.

3. The 50/50 mix means that you're getting a little more HP, a little more BAB. Pure rogues earn BAB at 75% the rate of a pure tank. A 50/50 rogue/ranger will earn BAB at 87.5% the rate of a pure tank.

4. You'll get the full gamut of martial weapons with your first ranger level.

Be careful about what race you select if you want to try this out. For example, if you choose Moon Elf, you will need to be very faithfully 50/50 or you will take the 20% XP penalty. But, then again, a 50/50 ranger/rogue can be a kick-a$$ character.

Stats?

Still want to max out DEX. You're gonna be wearing leather armor, so you'll need all the AC bonuses you can get.

I suggest an INT of 14 to get a good nimber of skill points. Any more hurts other stats.

Take as much CON as you can afford for the HP. Take as much STR as you feel you need to fit your character's concept (i.e. Tank/Rogue or Sniper-Finesse/Rogue).

Try to keep a decent WIS so as not to completely kill you Will save roll.

CHA can be sacrificed.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 07:42 PM   #20
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

I like to use teiflings for ANY clas that needs good DEX and INT... they make good Wizards and Rogues and Wizard/Rogues. [img]smile.gif[/img] but the BEST thing about them is their min/maxing capability. If you lower a HUMANS charisma all the way down it will go to 3 from 10 giving you 7 points. if you lower a Teiflings (who takes a 2 point charisma penalty) down to its lowest, which is 1 instead of 3 you STILL get 7 points AND you get the plus 2 bonuses to Int AND Dex. If Charisma is not important for your character then Teiflings get a +4 ability point increase with no real penalty. This is also what makes Half Orcs so great... They penalize their INT and CHA but what use does a Half Orc have for those in the first place? Its not like you where going to make them into Sorc Wiz or Rogue anyway. Lower them down to 1 a peice and make him a Fighter/Barbarian. I am a BIG fan of min/maxing... I just wish it could be done with more stats.