Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 10-15-2005, 12:45 AM   #1
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I have my bard at a point where she very rarely (if ever) makes an attack. She's almost always singing or casting a spell.

I'd like for her to be proficient in a weapon that grants an AC bonus. Right now, she's using an axe found in dragons eye that gives a +2 bonus to AC.

I would like to plan ahead and have her become proficient in a weapon that grants a better AC bonus, if there is one.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:14 AM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

+2 is about the best you can expect. I can think of a short sword off the top of my head that gives the same, but I can't think of anything better.

Mirror Image for tough fights should see you through.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:07 AM   #3
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
...she's using an axe found in dragons eye that gives a +2 bonus to AC.
krunchyfrogg,

I am aware of an Axe found in DE that grants 2 points bonus THAC0. What is the name of the one that grants 2 bonus to AC, what are the rest of its stats, and where is it found?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
Mirror Image for tough fights should see you through.
And don't forget that you can combine M.I. with Stoneskin and/or Blur.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 10-17-2005, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

[quote]Originally posted by NobleNick:
Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
[qb]...she's using an axe found in dragons eye that gives a +2 bonus to AC.
krunchyfrogg,

I am aware of an Axe found in DE that grants 2 points bonus THAC0. What is the name of the one that grants 2 bonus to AC, what are the rest of its stats, and where is it found?

Thanks!

The axe that krunchyfrogg is using can be found...

Spoilers!
`
`
`
`
On the far east side of DE2 (IIRC, it may be a different level). It is past a swarm of the poisonous beetles and is in the same container as the longsword +2 of confusion, if memory serves.

As for the axe itself, it is an ordinary +2 axe with a bonus of 2 to AC. It may be possible that you have been using it and not seen the AC bonus.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 05:21 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

Marty4,

You are right: It is DE2; and, no, I don't have the axe.

Although I purposed to scour every inch of IWD on this pass through, I just realized that I forgot to go down this little niche. I blew away enough of those dastardly beetles to ensure that I wouldn't get attacked from behind while clearing other areas, and then inadvertently moved on to DE3 without clearing out the passageway to the very end. I will go back... someday.

Thanks!

--------------------
What's a party,
Without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!
Old 10-19-2005, 10:43 AM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

I will go back... someday.

Someday has arrived. I looked over the Defender Axe specs very carefully, but found nothing promising the 2 point bonus to AC that my axe warrior definitely got when equipping this item. Makes me think that I should check my ApR stats before and after equipping the "Longsword of Action." It's description boasts no specials, but my guess is that there is one.

The Longsword of Confusion has been a disappointment, so far, for unexpected reasons: With a Cleric on Sling, 4 Fighters with stacked PP, and the Bard singing the "3 Heroes" combat bonus song, very few opponents can close to melee distance; and the life expectancy of those that do is less than 1/2 a round after they make hand-to-hand contact. So the "confusion" aspect of this weapon is useless, since nothing lives long enough to get even get confused, let alone attack something else afterward. I have traded back to Everain's Broadsword for the higher and more consistent 2D4+2 damage.

--------------------
What's a party,
Without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!
Old 10-19-2005, 06:19 PM   #7
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Its a defender axe. I believe there are defender swords, axes and morning stars. though I could be getting the Lonsword of acion, and Defender longswords mixed up...
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:44 PM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Forget worrying about AC bonus; instead, focus on damage resistance.

The Halbard +1: Defender gives 10% resistance to slashing and piercing; the Warhammer +4: Defender gives 15% to slashing, crushing, and piercing; the Morningstar +4: Defender give 20% slashing and piercing resistance; the Bastard Sword +3: Defender give 10% slashing, crushing, and piercing resistance; the Long Sword of Action +4 gives 15% slashing resistance, etc.

Suffering less damage is more efficient than being hit less often, especially on Insane or HoF modes, where one critical hit can "chunk" even your tank.

[ 10-19-2005, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Azred ]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:54 PM   #9
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Yes, once you get 100% resist to slashing damage, not many monsters can even harm you. I've found that it is impossible to get over about 65% piercing resistence, the items just aren't thier. 100% blunt is possible though.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:48 PM   #10
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Quite right, you are. Immunity to slashing and/or crushing (even if you're not immune to both simultaneously) makes even HoF an effortless walk in the park! [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img] With those potions of Magic Protection (I think that's the one) you get +20 to all your saving throws so you can dance through spells, too.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote