Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 04:08 PM   #1
SleepyJay
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Here's my first post. Yea!

And here's my first question:

I lost my potion case in one of the large battles down in the Vale of Shadows. It kinda pissed me off, but what ever. It got me thinking about item storage in general, and I'd really like to create an extra scroll case, such that I have 3, since I keep finding scrolls and I keep not so much ripping them to a SpellBook.
I looked through various cheat codes, but the scroll case is missing. Very curious? Or merely a function of a quick HoW update? Either way, is DaleKeeper the only way to duplicate the scroll case, if even that? How about getting my potion case back (my Bard was holding it, she got dead, and somehow lost a number of her items; not sure how it happened). I downloaded DaleKeeper while posting this, and if anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

thanks
jason.
SleepyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:20 AM   #2
NobleNick
Quintesson

SleepyJay,

[img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . WELCOME to the IWD Forum! . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

I *think* HoW is what gave you the potion and scroll cases.

I *think* Dalekeeper should get you fixed up. It is certainly the first thing I would try, even before doing the in-game "cheat." (Although I would not consider this cheating. You should not have lost the items you mentioned.)

If Dalekeeper doesn't work, and you have an earlier save with the character (that died) and her cases, try this:

In your current party: Save game to a new name (Party A). Export your character and delete her from party. Save game again to the new name.

In your earlier saved party: Save game to a new name (Party B). ( -- The preceding step is optional; but can save you heartache if you do an accidental save.-- ) Empty the case, so that it's contents are in your character's inventory; then export the character. The case should export; but even if it doesn't, the contents will. Do NOT delete character from party. Save again to new name.

Import character (exported from Party B) into the Party A. Place the case contents back into the case, give it to another character, and delete the imported character. Then import the later copy of the character (the one you originally deleted from Party A) into Party A, and give the case back to her. Save as Party C.

Party C should now have your once-dead character and her scroll case and contents (minus whatever you stuffed in there since the very first ever Party B save).

Another option is to take Party B into Dalekeeper, hack in all the expo and items that the dead character acquired since that save; then export that character, and import her in place of the same Party A character.

EDIT: --- By the way --- Life is easier, for several reasons, if you save at least once every 1/2 hour; and save to a new game name just BEFORE entering a new level (e.g., Vale buildings, DE1, DE2) for the first time. Don't know if it is a new level? Save first. You can always blow the save away later, if not needed.

EDIT 2 : Wow. Just re-read this after being away a few hours, and even I was confused....

In the first example, above, what you are trying to accomplish is: Export your character to open up a slot in the party (I assume you have a party of 6); import an older copy of your character (the copy should have the scroll case and contents); transfer the scroll case and contents to another party member; delete the older copy of your character out of the party; and re-import the latest version (the one you exported n the first sentence of this paragraph).

In the second example, above, what you are trying to do is: Delete your character from the party; import the earlier character (with scroll case and spells); and hack the old character up to the new character stats and items carried using Dalekeeper.

Hope that helps.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 09-26-2005, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:05 PM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

Hi [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

You will get more scroll cases as you go through the game. As far as I remember, you can get them from the shopkeeper in Easthaven, the mage in Kuldahar, and (I think) the mage on lvl 4 of Dragon's Eye. Later on, you should be able to get another in the Severed Hand and perhaps in Upper Dorn's Deep from Bandoth. There's others, as well.

I'd recommend using them as you get them, at least the cleric scrolls - you can't write cleric spells to a spellbook, and there's no sense hoarding them, as the power of the scrolls from earlier in the game will decline relative to the power of the monsters you are facing.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:32 AM   #4
ister
Drow Warrior

The guy in DE definitely sells scroll cases.
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:53 PM   #5
SleepyJay
Elite Waterdeep Guard

NobleNick: Wow, that's a lot of information. I just hacked it using DaleKeeper. It was very simple and worked fine. Thanks.

Aerich: Yeah, your probably correct about using my scrolls more often. Good call.

ister: Thanks for the confirmation.

jason.
SleepyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:33 AM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

I actually tend to end up selling many of the clerical scrolls I accumulate during the game, with the exception being healing/resurrecting spells and the occasional clerical damage spell.

However, I tend to have at least two priests per party and usually a paladin for good measure, so I'm never hurting for spells. I find I need the money (in the early game) and the inventory space more than I need extra clerical spells.