Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-06-2001, 05:05 PM   #1
Skunk
Banned User

This problem has cropped up before, but I can't find any of the postings, so bear with me if I resurrect it in a new post.

Sometimes, when your summoned creature is imprisoned, or you leave it behind on another level, the game 'remembers' it and forever counts it as part of your summoned creatures.

This means that if I leave one behind and, 3 days later, I enter a fight, I will only be allowed to have 4 summoned creatures instead of the 5 that I'm allowed...

Question: Is there a workaround, fix or patch for this problem?
Old 11-06-2001, 06:03 PM   #2
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

really ????? sounds like a bug to me always if you sleep in my game it sais ''whatever monste'' unsummoned
Old 11-06-2001, 06:31 PM   #3
Ugaya
Manshoon

A workaround/cheat could be:
Make a scroll of freedom and use it. Just an idea, never tried to free summoned monsters.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:17 PM   #4
Skunk
Banned User

Ok, resolved it myself.
If anyone else gets this problem, the solution is to check your override directory for the following files:

bearblsu.cre
ettercsu.cre
sumdjinn.cre
sword02.cre
worgsu.cre

and remove them. After that, you can summon your maximum 5 creatures/monsters again...

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Skunk ]

Old 11-06-2001, 08:04 PM   #5
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

A far better alternative to messing around with the game files is to wait for the creatures to be unsummoned, or to kill them yourself before proceeding to the next area (whichis what i normally did).
Old 11-07-2001, 01:21 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Sigh... when summons get Imprisoned, the only way to unsummon them is to use the spell Freedom.

This is not cheating, it is the only way to free imprisoned stuff.

Simply cast the spell, release them, then rest or wait until they get unsummoned.
Old 11-07-2001, 04:13 AM   #7
Skunk
Banned User

Well the problem is, during a hectic battle, your summons can get killed or imprisoned without you noticing exactly how it happened (especially when fighting liches).

How many people have used the summon commands more than once in a tough fight? It's difficult to keep track of all that cannon fodder while you're busy looking after *real* party members?

Using a freedom spell is good - but of course you have to:
a) have the spell (there arn't many scrolls around)
b) be on a sufficient level to use it (if you've already written it to your mage book)
c) Know *EXACTLY* where your 'creature' was imprisoned (the REALLY difficult bit)

This is just a solution to the problem.

Personally though, I don't consider this cheating as I really think that a summoned creature should become 'unsummoned' after 8 hours - whether imprisoned or not...
Old 11-07-2001, 05:50 AM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

How can you not know when a summon gets Imprisoned? You are dealing with, at most, 11 characters, plus the fact that Imprisonment gives out a funky spell effect of enclosing grid walls( same as Maze).

You will never encounter Imprisonment until late into the game, most probably Chapter 6-7. Only Kangaxx the Demi-Lich and Watcher's Keep will have Imprisonment in Chapter 2-3. You can buy 4 scrolls of Freedom in the Underdark, and unlimited Freedom scrolls from Ribald in Chapter 6( special wares).

Imprisonment was never a problem to me, at most an annoyance. It pays to always keep track of your minions and the battletext.

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]

Old 11-08-2001, 04:53 AM   #9
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

yet again another reason why skeleton warriors and their 95% MR are the best summons in the game. cool about the .cre files though. nice research.
Old 11-08-2001, 08:55 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Amergin:
yet again another reason why skeleton warriors and their 95% MR are the best summons in the game. cool about the .cre files though. nice research.

Urm, Imprisonment ignores Magic Resistance. Only Maze is affected by it.