Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 03-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Nick,

Let's pull all your issues into this thread instead of scattering them all over. That will make it easier to narrow things down and get you out there saving the Gael Serran.

Okay, first things first. From what I've seen so far, scrap your current W&W install. Remove it, and let's start over.

First, though, there's one thing you need to change. Your virtual memory setting has two things wrong with it: it's too big, and it's variable. Since you've got 256MB of memory, you should set it to either 512/512 or 768/768 (those are min/max numbers). Variable virtual memory only hurts you, and having twelve times your actual memory available is actually problem-prone.

Second... get the latest drivers for your vid card. It can only help...

Third... before you even attempt to run W&W, go into task manager and turn off all unneeded applications. That includes file share programs, printer managers, AdAware and Spybot, antivirus, and (if you've got a hardware firewall), your software firewall. BTW, if you're going to start surfing after playing, reboot so all that stuff comes back to protect you... otherwise, there's another messy problem to deal with.

Fourth... since everything else is off, defrag your hard drives at this point. As I remembered earlier this week, you have to defrag with nothing else running, or else the @%@#$^@#%$ defrag utility will restart every time something else writes to the hard drive...

Fifth... Since you mentioned HiJack This (one of my favorite tools, BTW), get the latest versions of AdAware, Spybot, and HJT and make sure your system is clean. Also go to www.trendmicro.com and do an on-line scan to make sure your computer is clean. Upgrade your anti-virus definitions and run your own local scan as well. A clean bill of health is a requirement to go forward cleanly.

Sixth... because you've got limited memory and a potentially limited video card, when you go to play for the first time make sure that you are playing in software graphics mode (not hardware), and the lowest resolution possible (600X480). And turn off any special effects. That minimizes many graphics-related problems.

Seventh... we'll take it one step at a time. That means installing the game in its vanilla format first. Try to run, note what things don't work (including exact text from error messages and hardware failures), pass that back, and we'll move on to the next step.

Eighth... don't jump ahead to the last chapter [img]smile.gif[/img] Being methodical and potentially slow about this will take less time than trying a bunch of things to see if they work or not.

Ninth... All discussion on this topic stays in this thread. If it's scattered all over a bunch of other threads, it WILL take longer. Guaranteed.

It does work on XP SP2... I've seen it with me own eyes. It's just a question of getting everyhing set up right so it will behave.

Stick with me on this, and you'll be after the Mavin in no time.

[ 03-11-2005, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

You're so good, Bungleau!!!

I can't thank you enough for all the help you have given so MANY players!!

Big Kudos and even Red will stick around to celebrate!
Old 03-12-2005, 09:03 AM   #3
NickCowan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, thanks a lot;

I've just downloaded Aida32 to have a look inside my PC - they haven't printed the name of the motherboard, or any of the other ineteresting facts about it actually on the physical devices themselves...

Apparently, my motherboard doesn't have a name... that's a little worrying, the frontside bus is 64-bit, which surprises me a little, but I suspect that I've got the wrong end of the stick and it's not the 64-bit that I'm thinking of - my chipset bus is 16bit, and far more what i'd expected.

The chipset is SiS 651 - though SiS have no knowledge of it on their site.

My system memory is 247Meg PC2700 DDR SDRAM

My 3D accelerator is SiS 315, and I'm looking it up now...

I now know that my graphics memory is PCI and definately is 8meg. Hmm, i think I need to get a graphics card....

Right, well, as interesting as all that is, that's all about future-proofing my system, and not about getting W&W to work. Aida suggests I get my some more memory, and with about 60% of it being used just with windows, I think I should. First, I need a job... anyway, back to getting W&W working again, thanks again, bungaleu

[ 03-12-2005, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: NickCowan ]
I like pizza, I like bagels,<br />I like hot dogs with mustard and beer<br />I\'ll eat eggplant,<br />I could even eat a baby deer<br />La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la!<br />Who\'s that baby deer on the lawn there?
NickCowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Cool [img]smile.gif[/img] Let me know how it goes. I'll be back in later today.
-+-+-+
Old 03-12-2005, 07:14 PM   #5
NickCowan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, I tried everything you suggested, and it's not playing happy... i'm pretty seriously thinking of giving up on the whole thing, and just getting a new game, thanks for the help, nonetheless

[ 03-12-2005, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: NickCowan ]
I like pizza, I like bagels,<br />I like hot dogs with mustard and beer<br />I\'ll eat eggplant,<br />I could even eat a baby deer<br />La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la!<br />Who\'s that baby deer on the lawn there?
NickCowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

This was just the first step, Nick. It sounds like it's still not playing right... but I don't know what is misbehaving. What are the symptoms of it not playing happy? The more details the better, even if you think they're insignificant.

One thing... a better vid card will *definitely* help. Around here, I can pick up a 64MB PCI card for around $60-70... so, 30-35 pounds? And another 256MB of PC2700 memory should be around $10-20 on sale... 5-10? Those two things alone will make a tremendous difference, and might be all you need.

I may not get back on the boards until late tomorrow night, but I will check back in.
-+-+-+