Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 07:04 AM   #1
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I don't even need the exact weapon, just the correct proficiency. I'm trying to build a Thief or Fighter/Thief.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:36 PM   #2
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Also, will you get a bonus damage message if you're flanking, just like you do when you successfully backstab?
krunchyfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:25 PM   #3
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I would imagine a dagger / short sword would be best.
I'm not sure about flanking

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:38 PM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Dagger, because then your fighter/thief can specialize in daggers and use Spinesheath with deadly efficiency. True, the damage is only d4+1, but if you've used a potion of giant strength--and you should to maximize your backstab efficiency--then you can take advantage of Spinesheath's +5 to hit to make sure you connect.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:46 PM   #5
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Nut a Ftr/thf should connect most of the time anyway. There must be a better long or short sword, or quarterstaff for backstabbing than a 1d4+1 weapon!
Old 09-12-2005, 09:15 PM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

Longsword might be best, for a couple reasons. First, there's probably more good longswords than shortswords or daggers. Second, a longsword has the best damage range (base 1-8) of any backstab-capable weapon.

There's a few good shortswords, but the really good ones show up relatively late in the game.

Daggers would be my other choice, mostly because of the poison daggers that are available - great for slaying casters. Daggers are also of special note if you have a thief/mage or F/M/T - the mage daggers (extra spells, magic resistance while equipped) are very good for arcane casters.

You will get a special message if your backstab/sneak attack works.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:12 AM   #7
ister
Drow Warrior

I would go with long sword, but only if no melee character will be using them. There are plenty of decent short swords, just not quite as many as long swords.

And for a backstab weapon I'll always look at the damage bonus. The first +4 weapon you'll get (very late) is a short sword.
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 04:03 PM   #8
Black Swan Gauntlet
The Magister

Yeah...start with short sword or dagger. Most of the really good shortswords are random items. If you plan on getting HoW (or have it already,) there are two *excellent* shortswords for thieves in that campaign (Blood Iron and the Short sword of Backstabbing.)

Oh yes, and one more thing...don't use a single-class Thief. Quite frankly, they suck.

[ 09-13-2005, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Black Swan Gauntlet ]
Black Swan Gauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 04:51 PM   #9
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I wouldn't have thought you could back STAB with a staff, personally.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:46 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

No, but the damage from the resulting back-bludgeon is devastating.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote