Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2002, 04:31 PM   #1
Black Dragon
Zhentarim Guard

My computer is running pretty slow now, I know alot bout cpu's but everything I've tried to it don't work, I was wondering if anyone knows anything else I can try to fix it. I'm ordering a 256 RAM chip to replace my 64 RAM chip, I think that'll give it a good boost, but is there anything else I can do to boost it?
Black owns!<br />Dragons rule!!<br /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/blackdragonpic.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /> <b>If the media decided that breathing wasn\'t \"cool\" anymore, half the teenage population would be gone.</b> --Someguy
Old 12-02-2002, 04:55 PM   #2
skywalker
Banned User

What percentage free are your System Resources at, right after you boot up?
What OS are you using?

Mark
Old 12-02-2002, 05:02 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

Depends on whats in your box. Going by the fact youve only got 64Mb RAM, were probably talking about a socket 7 board maybe slot 1 orA? Pentium/K6 type processor? Maybe a PII or Athlon classic, but I doubt it with that RAM size.

If thats close, replace the lot. Keep your HDD if its good, other than that the mobo, CPU, memory and probably graphics card are going to have to go.

Your new RAM will make a difference, but not as much as you would hope. Running adaware and a virus scanner will possibly clean some rogue processes, freeing up resources. Might be worth re-installing windows as well, all installations get slower over time as they get more and more unneccesary crap installed.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:41 PM   #4
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

I used to be a PC technician of sorts, so I built my own machine.

I'm running Win 98 SR2 on a P3 700 machine with 128 MB RAM.

Regular maintenance of the OS is important for speed. Scandisk, Defrag, and Virus checking is key. Also, make sure your hard drive isn't too full of temp files. Since I don't know was OS (Operating System) you have, my advice is kind of general.

Also, looking into upgrading your video card too. That helps alot with games.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:49 PM   #5
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

If you get a graphics card get a ATI Rage 9700 pro i think thats the name of it.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:37 PM   #6
Blade
Emerald Dragon

it depends on your specks but you might also try getting a better cpu and or case fans for your computer the hotter it is the slower it can run. That is why to get fasters cpu's they have to make it so the mettle in them doesn't melt and the parts fuse untill a higher temp. That btw is also the basis for overcloking any processor.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:42 PM   #7
Black Dragon
Zhentarim Guard

AAAAHHHHHH, thnx everyone, but I think I'm gonna have to ask you guys to stop, you're all using big words...
Black owns!<br />Dragons rule!!<br /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/blackdragonpic.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /> <b>If the media decided that breathing wasn\'t \"cool\" anymore, half the teenage population would be gone.</b> --Someguy
Old 12-02-2002, 10:42 PM   #8
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

A few suggestions, I am trying not to use big words here:

1. Defrag your harddisk often.

2. When was the last time you reinstall your OS? OS like Win 95 and Win 98 will accumulate a lot of junks in the registry after about 1 or 2 years. It is advisable to reformat your HDD and reinstall the OS once in a while. My PC vendor asked me to do it every 6 months but I think it is a bit too extreme.

3. Run "MSCONFIG" to remove all unessasary programs from loading. Programs like Winamp agent, ICQ, Realplayer, Creative Audio HQ and etc. can consume quite a lot of resources.

4. Do not enable active desktop as a web page or it will consume a lot of your system resources.

5. Uncheck "smooth edges of screen fonts" in the desktop setting. This will free up some extra resources.

[ 12-02-2002, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 12-03-2002, 08:31 AM   #9
whacky
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Blind_Prophet:
If you get a graphics card get a ATI Rage 9700 pro i think thats the name of it.
For that price i think you could get a P4 proc and a motherboard, boy do graphic cards cost a lot or what *sigh* !

Anyways i agree with the lot, and the most basic suggestions were indeed given by paladin 2000. Now Black Dragon i suggest that you "tweak" your computer and marvel at the wonders it will do. For tweaking you can search the web, it is too wide a topic and system specific so i cant state details here. But if you like i'll post some good links, if you are ready to try [img]smile.gif[/img]