Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Default Angst becomes me

I have a confession to make. Whenever I'm on the verge of doing something radically new, I'm nervous as can be. And I'm not just talking 'casually chicken' here. Generally, this loathsome cowardice doesn't manifest itself until the last moment (when they're handing out the blindfolds and there is no turning back ), but this time I've really got it bad. A few weeks ago, news got out that I was giving workshops 'New Journalism' to groups of teens. Naturally, 'new journalism' (I felt it had a nice ring to it ) is exactly the same as 'old' journalism. It has just been simplified because the target audience is somewhat younger. Turns out that the word 'new' was enough to lure large groups of journalists to one of my workshops (in a professional capacity), and now I've got an offer to teach Journalism (as a guest) by what is (apparently) known as the local academy for people with a future. Naturally, I was so quick to accept it was almost pathetic. In fact, I could have been drooling.
Now that I'm commited, I'm obviously somewhat afraid that I'm going to screw up on my first day(there is going to be more camera's present). Teaching ten to twenty people is one thing, but this is going to be a whole lot bigger.
Now, I'm not saying I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown. In fact, I doubt that would be possible, since my nerves have long since eroded (possible due to over-activity). However, I am afraid that I'm going to black out in front of all those people (although that has never happened to me before). Typically, the 'autopilot' kicks in after about ten minutes. Just to be on the safe side (I'd like to be able to say something more then 'eh, eh..'), I've written down about everything I'm planning on saying. Which took me the better part of two days. Although I hope I won't be forced to read from notes. It would look a bit.. silly, to say the least. What I'm really looking for is some stress relief tips. In the past, I've always relied on chewing gum and drinking less coffee, but I somehow doubt that that is going to see me through this ordeal.

Help?
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Angst becomes me

LOL! It's great and frightful when people accept what you're saying, and then want to hear more!

Okay, a couple of things to make it flow more smoothly.

First, take all that you wrote down in your two days of writing and condense it into bullet-point-style notes. IOW, don't rely on the exact text of a story in your notes. Instead, rely on knowing what the story is, and when you come to it, deliver the story. It's far easier to remember six stories, points, and whatnot by name than it is by exact word.

Will the presentation be just you talking, or will you have powerpoints, slides, or something else along with you? If so, then you can put your notes on those, reminding you of what story or point to bring up next. I often give away my presentation slides to folks without thinking much about it. The slides are only 10% of what I deliver... the rest is the presentation itself.

As for nerves, forget about imagining people naked and stuff like that. Instead, remember that you're in front of a group of people that *WANT* to see you succeed. They're all friends, whether or not you've met them before. And yeah, there may be the occasional moron in there... who doesn't have an obnoxious friend or two? Just ignore them and move on.

Practice put-offs. If someone tries to ask questions to take you down a different road than you want to go, smile, acknowledge them, and let them know you can talk with them more about that later. After the session is over.

One strategy tip: Never, ever finish your presentation by asking for questions. If you do, you're leaving the door open for a moron to ask a stupid question, and everyone will leave with that on their minds.

Instead, ask for questions *before your final words*. In your final words, add one final piece of information that you haven't said before, and effectively wrap up the presentation (now, you may be thinking that new journalism isn't much different than old journalism. Well, few things are completely original, and it's the perspective that makes the difference. Embracing new trends and technology for acquiring and delivering newsworthy information is...)

By doing so, you ensure that the audience leaves while considering *YOUR* words, not some heckler's. You can also regain control from a heckler this way, and effectively close things out when you're ready (we've got time for one more question before my final words...).

As for the crowd, no matter how big it is, focus on a handful of smiling faces in scattered parts of the room. Talk to them personally, and not to the audience as a whole. This will make it much more intimate, and make people feel much more connected to you.

From a physical perspective, make sure you've got a glass of water available to you at the lectern (or wherever you'll be speaking), and make sure you've got someone who can do legwork for you (getting a fresh glass, handing stuff out, etc.).

Bottom line: remember who you're there for. If it's for the teens, then make sure that you deliver something that matters to them. If an adult argues with you about whether it's really new, smile and remind them that they're not your target... those teens, the ones who are getting something out of this, are the ones. And if they're learning, you're succeeding... new, old, or in between.

Good luck! Share how it goes!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

That's solid advice, Bungleau. Especially since I always end with a question round. Thanks. At the moment, I primarily rely on my powerpoint presentation to get me through the day. I've discussed the points on it extensively in the past, so there shouldn't be any problems. Just to be on the safe side, I've written down the points I wanted to discuss, in case the stress leads to accute amnesia. Still, I'm fairly confident, since I've never had much of a problem with lecturing and debating in the past. It's just that I've never been asked to teach as such a prestigious academy (not bad for someone of my age ), and I'm mortified at the thought of dozens of disaproving faces.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

There's always a first time to step out from the rest of the crowd, eh? Or perhaps a next time...

Do remember the true definition of fear... FEAR. False Evidence Appearing Real. Your brain will create far more bizarre circumstances and problems than you could reasonably expect to experience, even on a really, really, REALLY bad day.

Good luck!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote