Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-06-2001, 08:43 AM   #1
Charlie
Lord Ao

I made an Elf Fighter/Thief and I can assign no more than 2 points to any given proficiency...is this right? Is this a class thing or a race thing? Will I be able to make him more than 2Point proficient in any given skill as his levels rise or not? My human fighter has 5 points 2H Sword and 5 points Longbow and either 1 or 2 in hammer. Is there a maximum number of points that can be assigned to a character because he appeared to stop learning prof' skills after a certain stage.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2001, 08:58 AM   #2
Ramon

Hi, Charlie.

Multi-classed fighters are limited to that restriced form of weapon specialization just like the not-figher-warrior kits (rangers,paladins). Jaheira is also an example for that.

I do not like it, either. If they were allowed to gain advanced specialization that
would make multiclassed fighters just so much more attractive, counterbalancing their very slow level progression.

So long,

Ramon

Old 02-06-2001, 09:05 AM   #3
Ramon

Oh, I forgot:

1. I am not sure, but even multiclassed fighters might be able to put the maximum three slots into two weapons style.

2. Five slots, Grand Mastery, is the absolute
maximum level of weapon specialization even pure fighter kits can reach.

So long,

Ramon

Old 02-06-2001, 10:18 AM   #4
Charlie
Lord Ao

Thanks Ramon.

Yes I know that you can't go higher than five slots but what should stop you (if the pc was used for long enough) to have 5 slots in 5 different types. My human seems to have stopped gaining slots full stop now. He has 5 in 2 weapon types as stated and I think 2 slots in another type but why can't I take him up to 5 in hammer? Is 12 the most slots you can assign?
Old 02-06-2001, 10:46 AM   #5
Ramon

Charlie,

I do not know that. Sorry !

But isn't that a highly theoretical question ? A fighter won't get his 13th proficieny point to spend before he reaches level 27 at 5,100,000 exp. points ! So, please, do not tell that you actually ran it that problem while playing - I would be green with envy. I suppose you are experimenting with Shadowkeeper or alike ?

So long,

Ramon

Old 02-06-2001, 10:55 AM   #6
Ramon

One more thing, just a speculation.

If you have actually reached that high a level with your fighter, I could imagine that
even the exp.cap-remover is not designed to provide the proper skill progression at level 25plus. Does he keep gaining other benefits from levelling up like thac0 and saving throws improvements ?

So long,

Ramon

Old 02-06-2001, 11:25 AM   #7
Charlie
Lord Ao

Ramon...thanks.

Shadowkeeper is not something I'd use and I was unsure as to how often a new slot is assigned (every 5 levels or whatever) so you've answered my questions. My fighter is lev' 23 at game over and that's plenty for me thanks again.

PS...No, he gets no THACO or anything. Just a 3 HP inc' per lev'.
Old 02-06-2001, 05:41 PM   #8
Ramon

Hi Charlie,

actually it works like this: warriors start out with 4 proficiency points at level one, then gain an extra point for every 3 levels
(I think rangers are granted an extra two points at level one that are already assigned to two weapons style).

Reaching level 23 with your fighter is also
quite an impressive achievement - especially considering that you also have a full-time job as shop-owner to take care of .

I am still curious: at what level above the cap did your fighter stop gaining thac0 improvements ? And what cap remover are you using ?

I can only recommend Shadowkeeper. It is a great little program, very easy to handle, and very useful even for solely informational
purposes. Give it a try.

One correction: applying the art of extrapolation a fighter should reach level 27
at 4,750,000 exp. points.

So long,

Ramon

Old 02-06-2001, 06:32 PM   #9
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi Ramon.

I'm not too sure when he stopped gaining advantages, at a guess I'd say level 20 or 21. I've stripped him stark bollock naked and removed his weapons and I'll list all his stat's for you. These stat's are immediately prior to the eyeball door with Irenicus near the end, so there's a little more exp' and a wisdom and charisma increase to come.

Fighter Level 23.
Human Lawful Good.

Strength - 19
Dexterity -16
Constitution - 16
Intelligence - 14
Wisdom - 13
Charisma - 14

------------------

EXP = 3,707,956
Next = 4,000,000
HP = 138
Base THACO = 0
THACO = -3
No of att's = 2
Lore = 23
Saving Throws
Paral/Pois/Death
= -2 (-5)
Rod/Staff/Wand
= 0 (-5)
Petri/Poly
= -1 (-5)
Spells
= 1 (-5)
Proficiencies
2H Sword +++++
War Hammer +
Longbow +++++
Ability Bonus
To Hit = +3
Damage = +7
Weight All' = 500
Armour Class = -2
Missile Adj' = +1
Reaction Adjustment = +1
HP/Lev' = +2....Dunno if this changed as he's always received +3 on lev' up.
Reaction = +2

I don't know if this tells you too much Ramon, but as it's there could you answer 1 or 2 points for me?

Reaction Adjustment and Reaction - Different stat's, What's that about?
Saving Throws - 1 figure says one thing and the one in brackets says another. What is the significance/relationship between these figures?

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-06-2001, 07:36 PM   #10
Ramon

Hi Charlie,

1. hitpoint progression for warriors:
from level 1 through 9 they gain 1-10 (1d10) hitpoints plus their constitution bonus per level, from level 10 on they gain a fixed 3 hitpoints per level regardless of their constitution score. In your case, constitution 16, that bonus is/was +2, so that is what your character's record says.

2. The reaction adjustment stat is a bonus (or malus) that is used when the game engine determines initiative prior to each round in combat - basically who gets to strike/act first. It is dependent on the character's dexterity score.

3. The reaction bonus/malus influences the reactions of npcs to the character - thus if they are friendly/unfriendly/hostile, etc.
The bonus/malus is, of course, dependent on the charisma score.

4. Savings throws stats: the first number
is the the one that counts, it determines what number your character needs to at least score on the roll of a twenty-sided dice - always remember that the D&D rules were originally devised for a PnP game - to make a sucessful save. At such a high level your fighter will only fail at the one in twenty (5 %) chance of rolling a 1. For that reason there is only a difference of having a
saving throw stat of 2 or -2 if the effect you are having to avoid comes with a saving throw penalty (like many high level spells).

The second number in parenthesis only indicates how many total boni points the character is granted by all the magical equipment he is wearing: a 1 (-5) means that that the base saving throw for that class at the current level is 6, but to due to a total
bonus of 5 points the actual scoring throw stat for the character is 1.

I hope at least some of the above was understandable.

So long,

Ramon