Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2001, 09:31 PM   #1
lekimbel
Welcomed New User

I have an awesome Kai in my party, ("The White Duke"), and he is now about lvl 14...he's pretty good but seeing as my main guy isa knight at the same level, & I only have a cleric/mage & a sorcerer for the mage spells I really think another full-time mage would be a good idea, especially if I want a really tough party for NWN etc. so i'm thinking..if i use the XP cap remover, start all over with my kai as a mage now, boost his exp with scroll readings and stuff, and then like "cocoon him" during a few battles, he'll be like lvl 6 or so before too long, and then when he reaches 14, he'll get both powers back right?
BUT i'm worried i) the XP remover won't be recognised as valid, and when he gets to lvl 14 mage he won't get his kai abilities back...
ii) it would be a giant waste of time because a levl 15+ kai is like the best. whatcha think? iii) my other thing is i have a full-time b-hunter in the team, but she does zero. so i'd love to maybe just get rid of her, and sub in like a thief combo character. any suggestions? thanks!
Old 02-06-2001, 09:39 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Yes, he will get both powers once his mage level is 15 (assuming you dual at 14 Kai and have the exp cap removed). As long as the exp cap remover is installed properly (ie. in the "override" folder), I don't see why you cannot get your Kai abilities once you reach lvl 15 mage. For thief, try a thief/fighter (all 3 theif kits are good, though some are preferrable over others depending on how you play). Dual-classing a character is like an investment (long-term), provided everything is done right and properly it will pay off in the long run (the same goes for your Kai, but he will take a long time to dual).
Old 02-06-2001, 10:40 PM   #3
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Halscion told me he liked the bounty hunter for the reason that you can throw your special-ability trap instead of just walking to the place you need to trap. At high level she will be able to maze people, which means that big fights can be pretty easy, for example fighting dragons. I like the fighter dualled to a thief -combo, because the thief will get really cool backstabs, and never misses a backstab, and can act as a backup fighter. My kensai/thief killed all liches at level 9/13 by himself.

If you need the thief to have thief-skills in the beginning, I recommend a multiclass fighter/thief (because of the THACO). If you want to choose a pure thief or a thief-kit, don't choose the swashbuckler, because you don't want the backstab-ability go to waste.
Old 02-07-2001, 01:12 AM   #4
lekimbel
Welcomed New User

reg kensai (not kai, i realise now) dual classing...he is 14 now, but what if he is 15 or 16, with XP cap removed...will the game still realise whats happening..also i thought it was when levels **equalled**...so if i get to mage 14, he can use swords etc, straight away. but i used to play older D&D games and i thought back in those days it was like 1 more level...either way, i never had the patience to find out! but maybe this time! oh on my thief, she is good and i'm a little harsh, but she has NEVER EVER backstabbed! i have hide her in shadows, walked her roughly behind someone, and then when i say attack, she is out of shadows and does like hardly any damage, if she hits!!! i think i must be doing it wrong, but you'd think a lvl 15 b-hunter would have backstabbed once in her career!! she has a longsword +3. so up till now she stays back and slings happily away on the crossbow. oh well, she is a thief i guess. what does she care about the quest etc etc? heheh
Old 02-07-2001, 01:21 AM   #5
G.W.

Fifteen levels is simply too long. There may not be that much experience to be found in the game, to be honest. That's 2.375 M exp.

Old 02-07-2001, 02:40 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

There is, GW. If you do virtually every quest in the game and follow the good path, you can earn up to 4m XP.
Old 02-07-2001, 07:37 AM   #7
lekimbel
Welcomed New User

you're right i think Memnoch..I'm in the Underdark (just finished mind flayers off) and I've made a point of playing all the quests & being a "good guy" (mainly because I screwed up Bg1 by being bad and getting stuck, with no time to start over)& my B-hunter is lvl 17, kensai lvl 14, sorcerer 14 or so, knight 13, etc: all on about 1.6m-1.7m exp, depending on who died when etc. I really like the quests-the main stories are always so cheesy-I like exploring the game, if you have the time. (I've been on holidays from Uni)...however I'm still a bad boy because I accidentally killed Seamon (well kinda by accident) and I lost the Vorpal Sword opp-so there you go, live & (not) learn.