Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-17-2001, 02:47 PM   #11
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

Many people used to regard Protection from Petrification as a miracle when you fighted baslisk with stone gazes in BG1 (anyone remember?). Now it is utterting useless. That was gone from being overrated, to totally obsolete.

For BG2 I think that most people considered the 2nd level priest spells as totally crap. Although, I must think that people under rate the "Flame Blade" spell.

Where would you be in Nalia's Keep without it? (at low levels?)

Later - you say PFEH! because you have a level 17 mage with tons of melf's acid arrows ar your disposal.........

------------------
Old 07-17-2001, 03:57 PM   #12
Malavon
Dungeon Master

The most underated spell would have to be blindness.
my sorcerer has this spell, and uses it quite frequently.
Blind the enemy, move ur fighters away from the subject, and pummel him with arrows or spells.

Malavon

------------------
Will not the mountains quake, and the hills melt at the comming of the darkness?
Show this vision to your enemies, Lim-Dul, and they shall wither!
Old 07-17-2001, 04:03 PM   #13
trux

Alot of people say they never use Oracle, but I use it all the time. Protection from Magical Energy is also one I never seem to hear people use/talk about, but I find it absolutely necessary.

Also, we often forget about the lesser Power Words...of course we know Power Word, Kill is great, but Silence and Sleep work well also.

------------------
--
trux
Old 07-17-2001, 04:05 PM   #14
trux

Oh yeah - Spell Shield, too. It's great.

------------------
--
trux
Old 07-17-2001, 04:11 PM   #15
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Silence.

It can cripple Dragons, groups of Gauths and Beholders and a bunch of mages in one fell swoop. Because it's a low level and relatively "unglamarous" spell it's often overlooked. For me it's the most underrated spell of the game.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 07-17-2001, 05:40 PM   #16
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Fireball, wait no thats not exactly underused is it.

Ok how about chaos or perhaps speel sequencers very powerful.

------------------
Old 07-17-2001, 05:56 PM   #17
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

i would hafta say Clairvoyance. it might not show you where enemies are, but it gives you a good estimate of where you can plan to run if you do suddenly get overwhelmed. of course, Greater Command works wonders too. in bg1, command was a rather underrated spell that noone used, but it was great for stopping enemies. Now, Greater Command can stop groups of enemies from running to or away from you, it has a longer duration, and i think it takes a better Saving Throw to resist it.

------------------
Proud member of the HADB. And remember, when you're thinking of giant heads, why not think of the Big Giant Head?
Old 07-17-2001, 06:33 PM   #18
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

i'm much more of tactical player and wouldn't consider myself an expert on wizards, but i've found shadow door (in conjunction with non-detection, cloak or spell) to be de rigeur as it makes my mage practically immune to spells (not area affect ones, but enemies only seem to use confusion/chaos).
Old 07-17-2001, 07:00 PM   #19
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Hm, how about "Vampiric Touch" (for fighter/mages) ?

Cavernsniffer, you used "Silence" on beholders and it worked ? What kind of nonsense would that be - rules- and logic-wise ? Their attacks are nonverbal gaze-based ones after all ! But I've to agree that "Silence" can be very effective against groups of low- to mid-level spellcasters, especially in combination with "Greater Malison", another possible candidate for most underrated.

------------------
So long !

R³ - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks

Btw, the cow is queuing in the slaughterhouse right now !
Old 07-17-2001, 07:04 PM   #20
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

I believe shadow door basically just casts improved invis. on your character, with a different animation? Or is there a difference? I always saw it as a flashy, useless spell.

As for an underrated spell, I'd say Web possibly.. Early in BG2, its invaluable. When clearing out Nalia's keep, and fighting the Trolls in the Chapel, I found webbing the ground, summoning creatures to protect Edwin, and then fireballing the heck out of the immobile trolls worked wonders. It also works great when fighting the Cowled Wizards in Athkatla. When paired with the priest spell Tangle, alot of times you can really lay the smack down while baddies can't move.

Also, Greater Malison makes alot of the death or other spells with high saves actually useful. Greater Malison + Finger of Death can take out alot of tough cookies. GM + Feeblemind is another nice one.