Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2001, 12:54 PM   #1
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I'm going crazy!!!!!!!!!!

I decided to stop smoking yesterday. I decided I was finally ready to stop for myself. All along I have always told myself that I could quit when I wanted to and now I'm finally putting my resolve to the test. And it sucks. Anybody been through this before?

A personal message to anyone who smokes socially or moderately who thinks they can stop whenever they want. It's not fun stopping. If you find yourself ever buying a pack, stop yourself, because it's all downhill from there. Next thing you know you will be smoking a pack - pack and a half a day and you are hooked, and you are doing what I am doing now trying to quit. And it's not fun.

Anybody been through this and found anything that helps? I know I can make it through, but anything to make it easier would be great.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 08-30-2001, 12:56 PM   #2
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Good for you that you stopped, hang in there... it might take a while to get use to but it's gonna be worth it... also, from my wife's experience, I would say buy lot's of gum
Old 08-30-2001, 01:02 PM   #3
KDogRex
Symbol of Cyric

YES, IT SUCKS!!!!!!!
I've tried a couple of times, only once seriously. I quit for almost a year, a while back, but job pressures got me started smoking again, dang it all! Now I'm trying to actively cut down how much I smoke, so it will be more manageable when I quit again. Hang in there, do it for all of us!!!

------------------
Guitars, women, beer...what more can a man ask for?
I AM the bard eternal
Old 08-30-2001, 01:18 PM   #4
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

You know what really makes it tough? Beer. You want to go out with the guys, or have poker night or something, and I swear... Your resolve gets dangerously weak.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 08-30-2001, 01:22 PM   #5
domingo
Zhentarim Guard

Well .... When my Dad quit smoking he used self hypnosis ....worked great, he hasn't touched a pack in almost 30 years .. cold turkey ... so I would suggest self hypnosis books or tapes .... check your local library .. If not maybe the Internet will have some stuff on it.... Hope this helps
Old 08-30-2001, 01:29 PM   #6
uhulio
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you really are having a tough time, see your Doctor. There are drug programs out there,(zyban) being one, that make it really easy to quit, assuming you don't have a negative reaction to the pills. I smoked for 12 years and approached my doctor one day out of the blue. He gave me the pills and after two weeks I threw away the smokes and never thought about em since. It was so easy.

[This message has been edited by uhulio (edited 08-30-2001).]
Old 08-30-2001, 01:29 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Go for it Milamber! Good on you mate!

Right on with the beer. A lot of friends I know would have trouble with the coffee/tobacco mix. Coffee brings you up, Tobacco brings you down (sort of even though it places more stress on your blood vessles, and caffines energy boost is only short lived. It actually reduces energy in the long term, just as cigs create stress in the long term. But anyway....) Whenever these guys would have a coffee they'd start pining for a cigarette.

Take heart mate. If you want it, it will work.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-30-2001, 01:58 PM   #8
Conan

Do it Milamber! Get short with me if you feel the need to let it out Its only hard the first week or so. I know that smoking beers and drinking smokes gos together but you can do it!

------------------
*\Conan/*

[This message has been edited by Conan (edited 08-30-2001).]

Old 08-30-2001, 02:45 PM   #9
Moni

The first three days are the worst. Just like with any other addiction, you have to allow yourself time to get the unwanted chemicals out of your system. If you smoke name brands, it is an even tougher fight, but one that is well worth it.
I lasted four days without a cigarette when I first got to Texas and was happy that I had made that first hurdle and that the going would be easier from then on...then Rex came home with a pack of cigarettes and the excuse that he felt sorry for what I had gone through to quit so he bought some. The truth is, he had been wanting to start again but had no excuse to in front of his parents when I wasn't around soooooo here I am, smoke in hand, adding more years to the already over 25 that I have been smoking and I still like it as much now as I did when I started.
I was hoping my PE class might motivate me into quitting but it seems that for a smoker, I am still in very good shape for my age and it has neither inhibited me nor made me want to quit. Yet.
Someday....not today.

Good Luck, Friend, and stick with it. You won't be sorry.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 08-30-2001, 02:55 PM   #10
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Thanks for the support everyone. I know where you are coming from Moni. What makes it tough is I like to smoke and I want to quit at the same time. I just had to decide what it is I wanted to do and if I wanted to smoke for the rest of my life or not. If not, there will never be a better time then now. Now it's a test of will power and a personal challenge.

------------------

Member of CLAN HADB