Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-16-2002, 12:02 PM   #41
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
L. Ron Hubbard? Isn't that that Scientology person? The founder or something?
That's the man, officer!
He was also a sometime science-fiction writer. I've read a few of his books, and they're rife with his rather simplistic theories on human behavior. I can't really find any respect for him as a writer or as a student of human behavior, but his organization sure pulls in the cash...

Old 05-16-2002, 12:40 PM   #42
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

What a lot of people forget is that Scientology began as a joke. Hubbard made a bet that he could create a religion and make money while doing it. Scientology was the result. Just don't mention that to a Scientologist. Lol
Old 05-16-2002, 12:54 PM   #43
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Well I have an older brother who is a true Satanist and he makes animal sacrifices, has his pentagram and performs seances, etc.

Anyway, Satanism in its true form is still practiced widely here in the U.S. so don't go fooling yourself into believing it isn't widespread or popular. Anything calling itself "Satanism" that doesn't go full force into demonic worship is as false a religion as you can get.
Moni did you even bother reading the link? What you are describing is Gothic Satanism and in its true form not just dabbling it is very rare, most of the "dabblers" in Gothic Satanism are kids who are looking for something to make them feel like they belong.
To say that Gothic Satanism is Satanisms true form is ignorant and short sighted. In fact the Church of Satan is the most widespread version of Satanism in America and follows Religious Satanism not Gothic.
Gothic Satanism was a creation of a mythos spread as propoganda by the Christian church to plaster a moral acceptance of the witch burnings.
"Anything calling itself "Satanism" that doesn't go full force into demonic worship is as false a religion as you can get."
Again I suggest you read up on this in the link I provided, Satanism is not about demon worship or sacrifices, only the sect of Gothic Satanism does that and it is the least widespread. Satanism is not about worship of a god/devil but worship of yourself, to satisfy your desires and live your life to fulfillment.
I provided this link to exactly try and show people that these views like you hold are very uninformed, just because these people hold to the name "Satanism" society condemns them for it.
[/QUOTE]I would hardly consider myself ignorant and short-sighted when I grew up in an area of the country where Satanism in its true formwas and still is practiced by old and young alike. I am hardly uninformed when my own mother's library (decades before you were even born mind you) contained volumes dedicated to the practices of Satanism and Witchcraft and I will accept an apology from you for your name-calling thank you.

What I WOULD call ignorant and short-sighted is trying to sell a "religion" based on worshipping yourself, a rock, a tree, or any other thing that is not the creator. Its a load of hooey.

Old 05-16-2002, 01:18 PM   #44
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
Originaly poseted by:sir michael
quote:
What a wimpy kind of Satanism! I want the kind where I bargain with the big, fiery, red guy, give him my soul, and get POWER and WEALTH! Yeah, baby!
Why didnt you say so !! Thats easy,All you need to do is draw a pentagram in your own blood that has at least a 10ft diameter. Then light a black candle. Next get a sheet of paper and write this in some more of your blood

I the undersighned to solemly swear my eternal soul to Lucifer the prince of hell and lord of all damnation in return for granting me power/fame/money/chicks/ect... For the rest of my natural life

then sighn your name in some more blood. Now get in the center of the pentagram with the lit candle and put the contract into the candle flame.THis should open the gates of hell and summon Lucifer to come and grant your wish and take your soul.If you need proof that this works just look at David Hassllhoff,Jerry Seinfeld,Pamela Anderson and Briteny Spears. PROOF that with the help of SATAN even talentless hacks can become rich and famouse
[/QUOTE]i wouldn't wanna call pamela anderson talentless. She HAS talent, two of em. lol
Old 05-16-2002, 02:52 PM   #45
Chewbacca
Zartan

I know someone who is a police consultant for ritual crimes. He is a satanist. The police department he works with no longer attributes satanism to the ritual crimes they investigate, they call them cult crimes. It is clear that like some peolpe call themselves muslims and blow themselves up in shopping malls, and while some people call themselves christians who gun down abortion doctors, some people call themselves satanists and sacrifice animals or even people. The point is, just because a person claims a philosophy, it does not mean that they will act in accordance of how the majority of practioners would. The correct term for these evils doers is extremist, fanantic, terrorist, or cultist. Satanist are none of the above.

Its eveyones right to believe what they want about whatever, but I would advise only making judgments about others people beliefs if you actually know what they are on the whole.

Judging a book by one page can be as bad as judging it by the cover.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:58 PM   #46
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnabas:
What a lot of people forget is that Scientology began as a joke. Hubbard made a bet that he could create a religion and make money while doing it. Scientology was the result. Just don't mention that to a Scientologist. Lol
No kidding? I hadn't heard that before, tho all things considered, it shouldn't surprise me. Maybe we're missing out on some good cash...

Old 05-16-2002, 03:02 PM   #47
Dramnek_Ulk

Quote:
I would hardly consider myself ignorant and short-sighted when I grew up in an area of the country where Satanism in its true formwas and still is practiced by old and young alike. I am hardly uninformed when my own mother's library (decades before you were even born mind you) contained volumes dedicated to the practices of Satanism and Witchcraft and I will accept an apology from you for your name-calling thank you.

What I WOULD call ignorant and short-sighted is trying to sell a "religion" based on worshipping yourself, a rock, a tree, or any other thing that is not the creator. Its a load of hooey.[/QB]
"re·li·gion Pronunciation Key (r -l j n)
n.
a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion."

Your statement has the presumption that whatever these people are worshipping is not the creator, whereas for all we actually know they well could be and that the thing they worship is the creator may well be part of their belief system.
Therefore if you do worship a rock or a tree or anything, as long as you believe that it is a creator or at least has similar powers or supernatural powers or is an aspect of the/A creator, it’s a perfectly acceptable religion.

Besides what’s wrong with worshipping yourself?
I can’t think of anyone who deserves praise and obedience, more than (insert your name here)

Old 05-16-2002, 03:05 PM   #48
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
if they don't relate it to any diety then why the hell (pun intended) do they call it Satanism?
From a Christian standpoint, there are only two "deities" - God and Satan. Any religion that does not worship God is therefore a "satanic" religion. Whether they worship Satan directly or not is irrelevant. Satan's main goal is to draw people away from worshipping God. He doesn't care if they substitute him, the goddess of nature, or themselves as their religious icon....just so long as it isn't God.

That's not necessarily MY personal definition, just trying to explain why the religion would be considered "satanic" from a Christian POV.

A brave post indeed, Azurewolf. I may not agree with the ideals on that website, but it is interesting reading.
[/QUOTE]Well, I guess Cerek has said it as well as I might. I personally believe in God and follow Christs precepts in my daily life. I have no quarrel with learning how others believe, but it is not for me, personally.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:08 PM   #49
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnabas:
ROTFL! Now that's something I'd heard a LONG time ago, but thanks for the reminder!
Old 05-16-2002, 03:12 PM   #50
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:

I would hardly consider myself ignorant and short-sighted when I grew up in an area of the country where Satanism in its true formwas and still is practiced by old and young alike. I am hardly uninformed when my own mother's library (decades before you were even born mind you) contained volumes dedicated to the practices of Satanism and Witchcraft and I will accept an apology from you for your name-calling thank you.
Who wrote those books??

Quote:

What I WOULD call ignorant and short-sighted is trying to sell a "religion" based on worshipping yourself, a rock, a tree, or any other thing that is not the creator. Its a load of hooey.
Uhhh, there are actually plenty of religions that do that, and it is not our place to tell them they are wrong, anyhow, some people hold the theory that they are the creator, for example.