Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2001, 10:57 AM   #21
Moiraine
Anubis

Oh, Ramon !

Really, I find it much more interesting to learn a very foreign language, as by doing so, you catch some insight into the culture as well, by the way people frame their language from their thinking.

And into political hold over education, as well ... I began learning Russian with the same book that Russian children used at primary school (it was in 1977, when Russia was still USSR) - would you believe that the first word these children had to learn in Russian was the word "factory" ? Awful ...

I also learned a little Hebraic at high school, and it gave me an interesting insight about why there are so many different discussions about what the Bible truly says : First, the order of the words in a sentence is not as determined as it is in our European languages. Also, old written hebraic does not indicate vowels, and the vowels are the only way you have to distinguish the verb, the noun or the adjective from a same root. Hence the so many different ways to read a same sentence ...

Hope I am not too boring ...

------------------
Old 03-29-2001, 10:58 AM   #22
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Strahd Von Zarovich:
Vertiefung ist es, Sie langer Hoserasenjockey? LOL!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Strahd Von Zarovich:
Tiens, tiens... Je vais ajouter le français, à ce beau mélange. Cela deverai compliquer un peu les choses! Mein Heir!

Monsieur von Zarovich, qu'est-ce que c'est un Hosenrasenjockey ?

LadyRae de Oregon: ¿ Dónde, cômo, cuándo has aprendido tu español ? Yo estuvê un año in Barcelona como estudiante de Erasmus, un programa de intercambio para estudiantes universitarios de la Uniôn Europea. Me lo pasê muy bien: fue el mejor tiempo de mi vida !

Just realized that the board does not represent the Spanish accents as I typed them. And it is most frustrating: I used to be (almost) as fluent in Spanish as in English. And now, only 2 and a half years later, writing 2 or three simple sentences causes a major headache.
------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 03-29-2001).]
Old 03-29-2001, 11:01 AM   #23
Sir_Tainly

Hi Moiraine, just caught you bit about Hebrew there. I remember at school my divinty teacher expalining the passage about camel passing through the eye of the needle, basically the translation in from Hebrew into Greek caused the confusion here as Kamelos is a camel, but Kamilos is a type of heavy duty rope. Given The second translation, the passage is more sensible.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 03-29-2001, 11:01 AM   #24
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Ramon: Ich kann viel verstehen dann ich kann gor sprechen. Ich habe studiert deutsch, franzosisch, espanol, und (God, I can't think of the word in German. . . I can remember French--chinoise--sorry about that). I can also read Greek and Hebrew. Oh, Ich vergiss, auch italien. Aber ich kann keins gut sprechen.

------------------
Reeka--The Hand of Death O_H_F
Lady in Waiting (the question is waiting for what?)
Yes, I do get cold. That is why I need someone to warm me up.
Old 03-29-2001, 11:08 AM   #25
Moiraine
Anubis

WOW, Reeka !

------------------
Old 03-29-2001, 11:15 AM   #26
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Oh, Ramon !

Really, I find it much more interesting to learn a very foreign language, as by doing so, you catch some insight into the culture as well, by the way people frame their language from their thinking.

And into political hold over education, as well ... I began learning Russian with the same book that Russian children used at primary school (it was in 1977, when Russia was still USSR) - would you believe that the first word these children had to learn in Russian was the word "factory" ? Awful ...

I also learned a little Hebraic at high school, and it gave me an interesting insight about why there are so many different discussions about what the Bible truly says : First, the order of the words in a sentence is not as determined as it is in our European languages. Also, old written hebraic does not indicate vowels, and the vowels are the only way you have to distinguish the verb, the noun or the adjective from a same root. Hence the so many different ways to read a same sentence ...

Hope I am not too boring ...

Moiraine - you are never boring !

I understand very well what you are saying about the appeal of "exotic" languages: a couple of years ago, when I was suffering from a major motivational crisis in my studies, I took up Chinese for a term - almost full time, a 18 hours a week intensive course for students of Sinology (have I ever mentioned that I am a perfectionist ? ). In four months we had to learn 1000 Chinese characters ! Unfortunately, after the first term I had to realize that I could not keep that up as a hobby.

------------------
So long !

Old 03-29-2001, 11:41 AM   #27
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:
Ramon: Ich kann viel verstehen dann ich kann gor sprechen. Ich habe studiert deutsch, franzosisch, espanol, und (God, I can't think of the word in German. . . I can remember French--chinoise--sorry about that). I can also read Greek and Hebrew. Oh, Ich vergiss, auch italien. Aber ich kann keins gut sprechen.

Wow II ! That is a long and very impressive list of languages you have studied. And it is most understandable that you are not as good at speaking them. That takes practice, not just studying, and I suppose you have not had the opportunity for that. I have had that opportunity in both foreign languages that I master more or less well: I attended an American high school for an entire year and I spent a year at the university in Barcelona. That helps a lot.

Als kleine Hilfestellung: Spanisch, Chinesisch, Griechisch, Hebräisch, Italienisch - wirklich eine beeindruckende Liste. Ich liebe Italienisch. Wenn Italiener sprechen, klingt es immer, als ob sie eine Arie sängen. Aus Spaß liebe ich es, Spanisch so zu sprechen wie die Italiener - cantando .

------------------
So long !

Old 03-29-2001, 12:03 PM   #28
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Ciao! Mi chiamo Leonis. Non parlo italiano. Apri la finestra e abbiamo in cita! Che? Che? Perche.

That's all I remember from four years of high school italian. i have enough trouble with english. I think i've just inferred that i'm an idiot...

------------------

Grrrr!
Old 03-29-2001, 08:29 PM   #29
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
Reeka - excellent - and I have to second Memnoch on your new signature.

Everybody else - get out your grammar textbooks - that includes your Spanish one, LadyRae , or stay away from that cheap electronic translators.

(Note to myself: I really should reconsider and become a teacher - I really have got that encouragement part figured out. )

Whoops! I knew it did a crummy job (electronic translator!) 'cause I translated it back. But thought it was kinda funny... My only actually 'known' spanish is very... um, 'colorful' shall we say?

------------------
Proprietor of The Moon's Hope Inn
Smitten by The.Relic

Old 03-29-2001, 08:38 PM   #30
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:

Monsieur von Zarovich, qu'est-ce que c'est un Hosenrasenjockey ?

LadyRae de Oregon: ¿ Dónde, cômo, cuándo has aprendido tu español ? Yo estuvê un año in Barcelona como estudiante de Erasmus, un programa de intercambio para estudiantes universitarios de la Uniôn Europea. Me lo pasê muy bien: fue el mejor tiempo de mi vida !

Just realized that the board does not represent the Spanish accents as I typed them. And it is most frustrating: I used to be (almost) as fluent in Spanish as in English. And now, only 2 and a half years later, writing 2 or three simple sentences causes a major headache.

Ramon de Alemania, realmente no sé español a excepción de algunas frases coloridas de cuando mi madre trabajó en una gota en centro aquí en Portland. Sí, estoy utilizando de hecho un traductor electrónico.

------------------
Proprietor of The Moon's Hope Inn
Smitten by The.Relic