Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-06-2003, 06:25 AM   #1
LennonCook
Jack Burton

The other day, I got a virus. I`ve managed to clear it from my system and get everything working again, except for *.exe files.
Something set the security too high or something, and everytime I want an exe file to run, I have to Right Click, select Run As, and uncheck the box that says "Protect my computer and data from unauthorised program activity". If I don`t and just try to double click it or run a shortcut as normal, "Windows cannot find the file".
When I do this, it is only effective for that program session.
I can run things "normally" through DOS.

Ok, this mightn`t sound like a big deal; but things that don`t run on startup because of it:
NAV Autoprotect
My mouse settings
Popup Killer

Mouse settings and popup killer I can live without, though just barely; but having to go through and manually enable my autoprotect every time I want to go online.
OS is Win XP Home. And no, resetting the User Accounts is not an option, because this affects windows files aswell, and basically, I can`t use Control Panel. The problem affects all 4 user accounts.
I`ve tried a System Restore, but don`t have any points to restore to.

So, does anyone know of a way to set this security down permanantely and en-masse, preferably without using the words "format" or "reinstall" ??

[ 01-06-2003, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
Old 01-06-2003, 07:09 AM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Eef, Lennon, that sounds like something the virus may have done and it MAY mean you didn't remove it completely. I dunno, maybe one of our tech gurus here can be of some help but it sounds like a format kind of thing if you can't find any other solutions...did you go to Norton or McAffee's sites to check for cures for the virus? They may have more info for you. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2003, 01:27 PM   #3
realbinky
Elminster

I've seen something like this, its a pain, but check File Types. If it lists .exe files, remove the entry. This is the list where it says, like, .doc and .dot open with word. It may think it needs something to run exe files, which a virus may have caused. exe files run natively, and unless there is an entry, just run normally.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:38 AM   #4
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Nothing in there about *.exe