Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-20-2005, 02:53 PM   #11
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Before reading this, understand I am not attacking anyone here, this is just a general rant, so please don't feel as if I'm attacking you, I'm not. *hugs*

Not "a lot of people" who are rich rip others off, that is in fact a small majority, and most of them do not get rich off it, and in fact, wind up in jail after some time.

Sorry, but I busted my butt to get where I am. I worked 3 (yes THREE) part time jobs at once plus went to school at the same time (at 18 you can function on 3 hours/night sleep, at 29, not really doable [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] ) to get to where I am. Mommy and Daddy didn't hand me anything, not that they weren't loving and supportive, they just couldn't afford to help, they were barely making ends meet as it is. I worked like crazy and pinched every penny while going to school for a degree. Now that I have it, I am making a really good salary. I give my time (and some money) to charity, but don't go saying that because I make so much I should give it away. I work (and have worked) long and hard for this money so that I can have the life I have and not have to worry about how I'll pay the rent next month or if I can go on trips or have a car that I can rely on.

My brother has done nothing with his life so far, he has no job, he got fired 4 months ago and still hasn't even looked for another, let alone apply for any assisstance. He dropped out of school 3 times (even though my parent were helping him pay his bills while there -- they're in a better financial situation now that we're out of the house) and he does nothing to help himself. Yet, he sits around and acts like somehow I have money because I'm lucky. He seems to forget about how I lived in a 1 room apartment and had only ramen noodles and Mac&Cheese for 4 years and worked like crazy to get to where I am.

[ 01-20-2005, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: harleyquinn ]
Old 01-20-2005, 05:32 PM   #12
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Harleyquinn, you should never have to feel guilty for being successful and having money. Shame on anyone for making you feel that way.

I do think everyone has a responsibility to show compassion and give according to their means. However, often I think people want to apply different standards to people who are very wealthy than they themselves abide by. If someone is a millionaire, then $50,000 does seem like a drop in the bucket to someone who is poorer, but proportionally, it is probably as much or more than most people on a middle wage would give.

And as others have said, just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. There were quite a lot of letters written in to the newspaper I read complaining that the government was donating 'taxpayer's money' to help the tsunami relief, but 'why don't they donate their own money as well?' - the assumption being that they weren't because they hadn't called a press conference to announce how much of their personal wealth they were donating. I donated money, but I didn't tell anyone about it; neither should wealthy people have to. In fact, if they did, the same cynical people who think they are selfishly hoarding their money and not helping charities because they don't hear about it, would probably accuse the rich people of trying to get praise and enhance their own reputation by making public their donations.

And as much as I detest Paris Hilton - how could someone that overexposed make the list of the 10 most intriguing people of 2004??? - she does actually work and so has earnt at least some of her money; it's not all social events
Old 01-20-2005, 05:59 PM   #13
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Yay, I like Mac&Cheese!! And rockon, Harley! I'm very lucky, and get mommy and daddy to pay my way, for the most part. Since they're doing that, now, I've decided to take as many classes as physically possible (not overload, but oh well) to rush through. That's especially important if I piss them off later, over something, lol. Oh well, I can live with being the spoiled rich kid! (Oh, and since I dont have an income, I dont donate to charities. Yes, horrible person I am, shame shame!!) [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2005, 06:06 PM   #14
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I don't hate rich people, most bust their ends for years just to be recognized for their talents and this is how their work is paid off. It's human nature to envy others for what they have and for what we don't have.

I was watching the Sci-fi channel the other night, and I saw nearly every Hollywood celebrity talking to everyday people, having a good laugh and taking in donations. Musical artists were performing all over the world for the Tsunami Relief benefit, raise the money, and have it shipped out to Indonesia. Hell, a few stars went out of their way to go ahead and drop a million or two on the table to go ahead and donate, not exactly selfish.

Fact is, rich people or "well known" people work like slaves to the grindstone just like we do, they get recognized by the right people for their talents, become abled to put them to their full use, and get good money. You can't possibly tell me you wouldn't go out, buy new clothes, suits, cars and a house if you had some extra money on hand. Most buy that flashy, extravagant attire because they're in the media and the public eye so it's pretty much mandatory to look well and dress it, whether it be diamond rings, gold watches, what have you, most of the time.

But despite their hard work, there is only one thing I really despise concerning them and that is the shows that emphasize how ridiculous their spending budget is, gives you that feeling of, "You don't have s#%t compared to this person."

"Watch as they take a trip on a beach on a secluded island they bought while swimming in bathing suits that cost a thousand dollars notched with diamond crystals while drinking champagne that costs a hundred dollars a glass." [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2005, 12:53 AM   #15
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

I must say, though, that before you criticize, you should first define.

"Rich" in Appalachia would not be the same as "Rich" in Beverly Hills, or Australia, or Britain, France, the Netherlands, Japan, Indonesia, Canada, etc.

Really, it isn't fair to judge the wealthy, but the fact is that it IS a social injustice that many are simply born into poverty.

Let's think about the tsunami for a moment---many died because there was a high population density in the affected regions. That high population density is due partially to the fact that the people cannot afford to move to more sparsely populated areas.

Money does stuff like that all the time, if you think about it. Glass ceilings are commonplace (which is the reason that I can't afford an opera-ticket...they don't want me in the place).

Rich people are not necessarily bad (though they can be), but the society in which the less fortunate are ignored in favor of the more fortunate is nearly on the border of travesty.

Is that what you really want to say?