Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-05-2002, 08:56 PM   #21
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

So, now I understand what Neutrality is. It means that I do not openly state my opinion and seem only to agree with the Christians, for example, on the board...but I must show every new member that I encourage them to post their non-Christian beleifs...and I will not supress them..
That is the key, I think. I will not suppress you, for your viewpoints, cause I, (a Mod.) disagreeing with you is scarier than a normal poster doing so.

Now...everyone...Have I stated this theory clearly and correctly? Have I gone off the point, or made an untrue assumption?
It is now your time to teach me, as I eagerly look forward to your opinions on this.

Is this what a Moderator's Neutrality means?

By cracky, I hope not! I'm one opinionated S.O.B. and I certainly am NOT changing, regardless of what anyone else thinks. I do treat others in a forum with respect, however, and that's all I ask in return...to me and to each other.

You don't have to agree with me. In fact, you can disagree with me coming and going. But as long as you are respectful, we can interact, and maybe even learn from each other.

Ok, since Larry is giving examples: let's take a look at two statements a person can make in reply to an opinion s/he doesn't agree with:

1) That's an interesting point of view, XXXX. I've had a different experience myself, and I beg to differ with you on your opinion. My experience has been__________________. However, I'm interested in hearing how you came to your conclusions as well. Perhaps I've missed something along the way? Anyway, it sounds interesting.

2) Well, that's about the most ignorant thing I've read on this forum yet. Did you even get a 4th grade education, or are you a reject from a state school? It's OBVIOUS you don't know what the *BLEEP* you're talking about, because if you'd have taken the time to research your subject you would have known __________________________________. Come back and talk to me when you get an education, retard.

Now, which person would you rather interact with? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Is the first one so much harder to do than the second?

Mutual respect. That's all we're asking for here.

Cheers,
-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 02-05-2002, 08:57 PM   #22
ʆë®Ñï†Ý
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:

Oi(handing me back)! *Thinks this is a conspiracy between the ladies*

Would I conspire against you darling?

~looks at cloudy~ *gglz*
Old 02-05-2002, 08:59 PM   #23
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I don't need to say any more - Downunda said it all.

Old 02-05-2002, 09:08 PM   #24
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Hmm Sazerac. . . well the second one WAS much funnier. . . lets see here. . .
Old 02-05-2002, 09:16 PM   #25
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Well I be blinkn' and a stinkn' Saz...Your viewpoint may be better than mine...

Maybe I have been led to believe in what I described because of recent events over the last few days...

I do not know which one I should follow, though, because my heart is with both sides. I want to make members feel safe to post against me, but I also want them to know my views...but I am afraid to be too open about them, due to people not wanting to contradict a Moderator...and I know, Vasquez,,,you have always been taht way, and you ahve no beef with me,

The only forum where I have any control over is the RP forum...so if I begin to get stinky in here...everybody can do a hex ritual and banish me back to my plane of existance...deal?
Old 02-05-2002, 11:00 PM   #26
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ok, last spam post of the thread.. don't want to destroy Downunda's points by cluttering it up too much.

Aww Vask.. you couldn't face the day with a Cloudy moment, you know it! *snicker til she's nearly purple* Besides I switched to rolled up newspaper for my thwacking and thumping practice, the fish got really smelly. Uh sorry about the week old halibut, it's all the market had for free. [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

Now, back to the program folks-

Lots of good points made and I agree, we mods DO have opinions but we also uphold Ziroc's rules and the integrity of the board.

Personally, I love Ironworks and its diversity! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cloudy

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]

Old 02-05-2002, 11:46 PM   #27
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

quote:
Nope...PM or e-mail the mods if you're going to question a ruling, but do NOT bring it up on the forum. Everyone is entitled to question a decision, but keep the dirty laundry to yourself.

Sazerac....I have a question.

Would it not be more productive for a member to question a Moderators' decision in the forum (as long as it's done respectfully), so that the Mod could explain his/her reasoning for the decision.

It seems like this would help new members learn what is and isn't acceptable more quickly.

If I PM you with a question, I'll learn your reasons, but no one else will.

I also want to make a distinction between "questioning" a decision and "disagreement" with a decision.

"Questioning" - means that I don't understand what rule was violated or why the Mod decided to take the action they did. This is the type I feel should be Posted on the forum for all to see.

"Disagreement" - means that I know WHY you took a certain action, but I don't agree with it. This SHOULD be handled by PM, because posting it on the forum will undermine the Mods authority.

Just my [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2002, 02:26 AM   #28
Sigmar
Unicorn

What happened to laindthar, was he banned? I'm guessing this is the thread in question.
Old 02-06-2002, 03:53 AM   #29
LennonCook
Jack Burton

I agree with Ceric. If we were to openly argue with a mods ruling, then no, it is not right. If we were to ask why it was done, if we dont understand the reasoning, we would be correct to simply ASK.
If we were to disagree with a mods opinion and NOT a mods ruling, we would be well within our rights to do so, as anyone who had read the TOS would realise.
We are very lucky to have such a fair webmaster and mods... they do not make any ruling without good reason.

Saz- I agree with you entirely with those people.. someone who states their own experience in a polite manner is far easier to give empathy to then someone who simply says 'your wrong. thats all there is too it. reasons dont mean (censored), because im right.' ...

Just as someone who asks a question is easier to talk to then someone who makes a ruling. And this comes back to having a fair webmaster and fair mods... if we didnt, they would just be making rulings all over the place, and locking/ deleting threads for no reason... and we wouldnt get a warning if we were breaking the rules.
Infact, in retrospect I have realised that I personally, am probably lucky to have not yet been suspended. In the past few months, I was becoming prone to spamming, and trolling. I got a warning, and I am probably lucky that it was left for so long. I am ofcourse sorry to all those who were negatively affected by this.

In closing, I say- in closing. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2002, 05:06 AM   #30
Moiraine
Anubis

Larry, just a thought : why don't you take another new name to post as a regular member ? I mean, having one login as a Mod and one as a member entitled to post his own opinions as everyone else. [img]smile.gif[/img]