Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-13-2001, 10:33 PM   #1
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

Just want to know, who has soloed the
game and with what class kit? Was it
difficult??? What class is recommended???
Was it fun without NPCs???
Old 10-13-2001, 11:13 PM   #2
Malavon
Dungeon Master

Ive sooed with just about every class, and kit (im not obsessive compulsive with this game... hehe) It is quite difficult, especially with it on insane difficulty (im that hardcore...) but in the end it is so much more fullfilling than it is with a huge team.
Now as for the recommendation... id have to say a monk. They r the ultimate powerhouse at later levels, and there magic resistance, and hide-in-shadows ability are almost a godsend.
And about the NPC, or lack of them, i find that i prefer to play the game without them. It takes longer to level up with them (they share your hard earned exp) and half the time in battles i dont know what the hell everyones doing... so i find that battles r less complicated. And i like to think of the game as MY adventure, not their adventure.
Anyways, alot of ppl like to play the game with the help of the NPC's and the companionship of the NPC's but not me, and thats my preference. I like to think of it as the most challenging battle of the game. And no challenge goes undefeated...

Malavon

------------------
Will not the mountains quake and the hills melt at the comming of the darkness?
Old 10-14-2001, 12:01 AM   #3
Zarthander
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Dude, you can solo through the entire game on the insane difficulty level? I could be wrong, cause I've only played through the game once and I'm halfway through my second game (both on normal), but that just can't be possible. I went through hell on the twisted rune fight when I was near the end of the game with a exellent party and on normal difficulty. To think going through fights like that with one person on insane truly vexes me. If, however, you're telling the truth, then I praise your godly gaming skills.

And to the point: I'm sure it's possible to solo through the game, only on low difficulty levels though. For the average player it will be a true test of mettle. Just be sure to make a very versatile character.
Old 10-14-2001, 12:32 AM   #4
Malavon
Dungeon Master

Funny thing is tho, Zarthander, i dont find it hard any more... and i find playing on normal is so hillariously easy that i cannot continue 30 minutes into the game... (no offence intended)

Malavon

------------------
Old 10-14-2001, 12:49 AM   #5
Barloc
Zhentarim Guard

you really need to do something else...
Old 10-14-2001, 01:07 AM   #6
Malavon
Dungeon Master

Since im really bored, ill tell you guys my secret... it wont work for anyone else, because it is of a unique situation.

Back when i had first started playing SOA, i was only on the first chapter. My cousin who is a major player came over and unbeknownst to me, he changed the difficulty level to insane. Now, i had no idea that he did this, and i had no idea how to change the difficulty lvl at all, so, i trudged on thru the game oblivious to why the game seemed to be out to kill me... i was averaging about 40 restarts every 2 hours. And yet, i always figured i was just a crappy player. Everyone i talked to, and everyone online was have an easy enough time with the game... So on i forged, thru thick and thin, creating strategies, and techniques as i went.
It was only after my 3rd time thru SOA that i hit the wrong button on the SOA starting screen and went to the configure menu, that i saw that i had been playing on insane this whole time... And tho i could have changed the setting, i didnt. I kept playing. Over and over. Soon i began shrinking my party, and making it smaller, but more powerfull at the same time. The same amount of experience was now being distributed, and shared by less and less ppl. And after a while i took a char through the entire game by himself. Then when the sorceror class got boring, i soloed with another class, and then another, and then i went thru ALL the kits.

This is the sad secret of my perfection (or near enough to perfection)
And now im going to bed.

Malavon

------------------
Old 10-14-2001, 03:45 AM   #7
Thrawn
The Magister

LOL the first time i played the game it was on novience because BG II was my first introduction to RGP game i had never ever played an RGP game before, was an hardcore strategery veteran so i guess i'm pretty execellent with strategery part but i never had played a RGP so lol the first game i played was on novience so i could get to know the game better. When i got to chapter two i finaly gave up cause i couldn't figure out wtf to do, and BG II was gaining dust when i found some of these execellent sites. and learn alots on what to do, what not to do, and now i'm an bg II junkie, i have goten every single BG and icewind dale game to date, just missing two that's it

anyway onto my adventures, my first couple game was with big party and with my PC being an fighter, then a paldain, finaly i got to the monk and was awestunk with his power, but his power would pale in comparsion to the deathbringers mages that i would field in the later game. all of this was on novience or normal diffucity, then at this point i never had played an sorcerer, bard, thief, nor an archer, nor a druid, so i took up the challenge of soloing an archer, with tob addon, and all i can say is that i had a lots fun with him the first battles were challenging but however toward the end it got easier and easier, i mean the final battle i murdered jonny boy in two seconds with no problem *sigh* but it was an fun trip, but i didn't take my solo archer into tob. just gave up at that point. Now my first mage that i would ever play would be a kenshi dualed at 13 to an mage, he kicked ass big time but it was with a party of 4, me, the kenshi/mage, then an ranger/clerc for support, then japh for my first romaic interest, then jan for support mage and thiefery. i went all the way though the game to the second major battle in tob then quit, don't know why must had lost interest cause he was rolling over everything, but however this point it was on core, and i didn't have any improved ai or harder patch etc..

now the idea finaly dawned upon me i had 3 class left that i haven't soloed realy, which was the sorcer, i'm saveing it for the last then thief, and the bard, now bard, i got many many good thing to say about that dude.

it was my first game on insane diffucity, it might seem tough at first, but the key is smart use of defensive spells, always have stoneskin on, and if youre out get it up AS FAST AS POSSIABLE. then also don't forget to use protection from normal weapons or magic weapons depending on the baddy, most of the time it'll be magic. this was the first party that i had with vicona and edwin, my option on those two is that they both KICK MAXIMINUM ASS! edwin is esp nasty with his bonus 2 spells a level and the fact that he's an specalized class, that means when he's level 31, he gets an natural 4 to level 9 spells, then add on his specalized bonus, and his +2 spells a level, that brings it up to 7 level 9 spells! esp nasty with dragon breathe or some other spells, and of course, time stop! i defeated watchers's keep and the whole game for the first time, i mean all the way though tob.

Right now i'm soloing an uncommon class an Clerc/Mage. IMHO its one of the better solo character, i had lots of fun with other class but i'm haveing more fun with this dude, now i found some thing new today, turn undead WORKS ON SHADOWS! i thought it only worked on skeltons, vamp and the likes, not shadow, i was suprised when some shadows exploded when i used turn undead then it dawned up on me, shade were an type of undead, then i immendatly rushed though umbar's hill explodeing shadows all over the place.

now with an clerc/mage you CAN use helms! that mean the helm of baldur, that's an cool helm +1 to ac and +1 to all saving throws, it rocks, then add an tower shield i forget its name but it had a +7 to missile +4 to Ac its one of the better shield only the +5 shield and shield of harmoriy is better than this one! then don't forget ring of protection +1 eventualy to be turn into +2 and then Ring of gaax. in the other ring the earth ring +1 to Ac which is cool, plus robe of vecona for max spellcasting speed to kick max ass! don't forget the best piece of armor for mage, the bracklet of 3 ac, it rocks, right now my clerc/mage got an natural ac of -9! and that is only in chapter 2, by the end of tob probably will be down to something like -11 or more, and that's good for a mage! now most mosters can't hit me much and that means my stoneskin lasts MUCH longer!

now onto the clerc spells they rock for buffing up the solo character and clerc are the best verus undead and demons, i use their spells most of the time when i battle demons and undead, then i use mages for the other sort of buffing plus combat, heh i have completed 59% of the secondary quests in chapter two in just 20 days, this looks like it maybe one of the fastest solo ive done, i average 100-200 days by the end of soa in my solo but this time i'm hopeing for around 50 days or under. This is on insane mode of course

one thing i got to say about clerc/mage is its an pain in the ass to get an good stat rolls so i just imported in an gody stat roll that i got from bg I all tomed up big time. oh oh i almost forget one additional weapon, an flail you buy from the bonus merchant in the copper cornet it also gives u an bonus of 25% resistance to physical damage and +1 ac only strikes as a +2 however i don't know what its name is but i use it with the flail of ages depending on what mosters, if they can be stuck with +2 then i use that flail if not i switch to flail of ages, i'm progressing pretty good, i have defeated both dragon's lair just got to defeat the two dragons theirself that's the only thing remaining, the only other thing left is the planar sphers, unseeing eye, slave lords, and asteral prision then i'll be finished and off to the assiyium, exploding vamps enroutes.

Also i'm geting so good at the game that now i'm beguning to think that insane diffucity is SO EASEY, and that if i tone it down to hard i just have to laugh at how easey it is, and get boried and switch it back to insane, and even then i'm geting boried with it, its geting so easey that i know most of the game like the back of my hand, kind of sad but *shungs* its an kickass game

[This message has been edited by Thrawn (edited 10-14-2001).]
Old 10-14-2001, 03:49 AM   #8
Neb
Account deleted by Request

If you wish to solo, I suggest that you play a thief, or a multi-class character which is part thief, since no other class can remove traps, even though clerics can find them with the spell Find Traps, only thieves can remove them and not all traps can be avoided, I would suggest a Sorcerer/Thief, possibly, you could make a dual-class thief where you dual from thief to whatever else you want once you reach 100% Find and remove traps, a sorcerer or mage would be good classes to dual to, since you've got invisibility and avoidance spells, and if you're soloing, you might sometimes want to avoid fighting.
Old 10-14-2001, 04:35 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

A Sorcerer cannot be dual-classed legitimately. A Sorcerer does not need to worry about traps though.

For physical traps, use Stoneskin to absorb it.

For spell traps, use Spell Immunity.

For poison traps, drink an antidote.

Once you attain a high enough level, which is easier when you solo, a Sorcerer can be a tough nut to crack.

[This message has been edited by Dundee Slaytern (edited 10-14-2001).]
Old 10-14-2001, 06:04 AM   #10
Cleric 2
Manshoon

I don't like soloing

------------------
Im Nik, the servant of my queen, Ellesime,

The Elven highpriest of Seldarine.

Emerald High Priest of ALSB

Aerie =

Aerie =

Aerie is a