Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2015, 10:56 PM   #1
Legolas73
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default Soloing "Pools of Darkness"

Hey guys,

just the other day - for reasons of pure nostalgia - I spent away some free time looking over video captures of people playing through old CRPGs. I came across those vids that show a bunch of final/boss battles in the classic "Pools of Darkness". Now this guy is going solo, and as I understand it, he went solo the whole way of the game. His character is a dual-classed (obviously human) Paladin (lvl 39)/Mage (lvl 40). Those boss fights look koke chump change to me, very easy indeed!

Anyway, I wanted to try this for myself but quickly found that virtually ANY fight after leaving New Phlan is impossible to win with a solo Paladin at lvl 12. Out of 20+ attempts, I managed to win ONE fight against a bunch of skeletons (giant plus normal), but I had to reduce the difficulty settings to Novice.

Now I am curious, has anybody out here ever tried soloing "Pools of Darkness"? Any successful attempts, any comments of what I might do wrong? Or are the vids just fake (leveling up with a full party, then dropping 5 of 6 characters to do the boss battles solo)?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Legolas73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #2
Shadow Stranger

Default Re: Soloing "Pools of Darkness"

I Never tried soloing.
Can you successfully play the game the normal way, with a party of six? If you can, your style of playing is sound.
Did this guy hack his save game files?
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote