Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2001, 01:05 AM   #1
trex_2010
Dungeon Master

I, personally think that Diablo (1) was amazing. Absolutely incredible. It was the first RPG i played. It was what got me into RGP/fantasy. Eerrie, creepy, dark, mysterious, gothic. Awesome music, especially the guitar solo in town. The story was magnificent. period. The quests were interesting. And were random. Well, most of them. The guy's who read the books voice was just _PERFECT_ and made an even darker atmosphere. I know "Halls of the Blind" by heart, and it is one of my favorite poems ever.
Diablo 2, on the other hand, had more player balance(I loved being the "Battle Mage" as i reffered to my legit lvl32 single-player warrior), was a lot longer but-- it lost the "Diablo" feel. Only the movies kept it interesting, i think. So what do _you_ say? Which of the two you favor?
btw:

I can see what you see not,
Vision milky then eyes rot.
When you turn they will be gone,
Whispering their hidden song.
Then you see what cannot be,
Shadows move where light should be!
Out of darkness, out of mind:
Cast down into the halls of the blind.

------------------
:: One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity ::

"There's nothing like a gnome wizard to prove that size doesn't matter."

"Belief is knowing that to get from North Ro to South Ro one must cross Oasis.
Faith is pressing NumLock and leaving to get a soda." (from EQ)
trex_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 03:37 AM   #2
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Well, DiabloII has many improvements. However for some reason i always seemed to enjoy the first part better.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 04:28 AM   #3
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

in DI, you can cheat online, which sucks
in DI, if you die, your items pop, which sucks more

in DII, patchs screw up everything you build. Blizzard likes chick, take a look, all chick characters are better than males

paladins suck from the beginning, necros go down gradually, barbs are crastrated... then here is the ever suck druid...

DII sucks

if you look at the cons, they drive you mad
250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 09:32 PM   #4
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by trex_2010:
I, personally think that Diablo (1) was amazing. Absolutely incredible. It was the first RPG i played. It was what got me into RGP/fantasy. Eerrie, creepy, dark, mysterious, gothic. Awesome music, especially the guitar solo in town. The story was magnificent. period. The quests were interesting. And were random. Well, most of them. The guy's who read the books voice was just _PERFECT_ and made an even darker atmosphere. I know "Halls of the Blind" by heart, and it is one of my favorite poems ever.
Diablo 2, on the other hand, had more player balance(I loved being the "Battle Mage" as i reffered to my legit lvl32 single-player warrior), was a lot longer but-- it lost the "Diablo" feel. Only the movies kept it interesting, i think. So what do _you_ say? Which of the two you favor?
btw:

I can see what you see not,
Vision milky then eyes rot.
When you turn they will be gone,
Whispering their hidden song.
Then you see what cannot be,
Shadows move where light should be!
Out of darkness, out of mind:
Cast down into the halls of the blind.

You are absolutely and completely right, trex! Diablo 1 was a highlight! I learned the halls of the blind poem by heart too, cause I´s fascinated like you, I think. And this is exactly what Diablo II lacks: the atmosphere. It´s just too colorful and bright. Even in a dark dungeon it´s never really creepy. I was very disappointed by DII, although there were many improvements. But they forgot about the main thing in a good rpg: style!

------------------
The malt beer lord has come!
Ruby Skald of the ALSB
debiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 10:27 AM   #5
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I liked the feeling from Diablo better. More dark and sinister feel. The new one is well better playability.. But I miss a trusty old warrior.. Good thing is the new options for running and so on.

Diablo 2 fails to give you the same lurking horror feel as Diablo gave you the first time around. Perhaps this is because of that Diablo was pretty unique when it came..

------------------

Be vevvy qwiet..I´m hunting wabbits...
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 10:44 AM   #6
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I like both very much, although I haven't played DI in a long time. One of the reasons: I played a LOT of DII. In DII, your character runs. Then I reinstalled DI and started playing. In DI, your character walks. After a while, I was ready to punch a hole through the monitor (Come on, walk faster. FASTER I said! AAARGH!!!).
Also, I don't really think the characters are balanced in DI. in the beginning, rogue rules, then warrior, in the end mage. In DII the characters are more balanced - basically, any of them can turn into a monster kill-all machine with skill and a bit of luck.

------------------

Kazara

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Guardian of the Temple of Aerie (specialized in GenCon and BG)
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 01:20 PM   #7
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Diablo 1 rules. Diablo 2 was never what it was billed to be. (especially since it was delayed for months and months on end.... )

------------------

Within the jungle of my deepest emotion,
With a coat resplendant in a golden sheen,
Swiftly hunting my tender love,
Stalks the regal, Feline Queen
Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 09:25 AM   #8
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

YES! I AGREE! The voice was sorta the same with II, but I seem to hear him everywhere? Who's he?

Anyways, DII has lots of improvements, but I like the DI atmoshpere more. Same reasons with you guys. And, the music is more catching for me

Also, DII can be a drag in the ass. It is just so focused on battles... Warcraft III better be good!!!

------------------

Chaotic Cavalier of ALSB, protector of the Innocent, slayer of the mad...
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 08:03 PM   #9
www.cffl.com

Personally, Both suck.

[This message has been edited by Ziroc (edited 10-05-2001).]
Old 10-05-2001, 02:44 PM   #10
Ziroc

I liked Diablo II A LOT more... much larger game, better weapons/armor... But I don't consider it a 'real' RPG.. It's more of a Fantasy Action game to me.. It's 99% fighting.. but it's fun none-the-less..

------------------
Ziroc™
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks