Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2002, 09:19 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Alright, my wife received a phone call while I was here typing away on the PC...and then she come to tell me what it was all about. It was a phone scam,,,and she thinks the name of the company was Venus Connections...but she is not sure. Anyway, she said that the woman promised to take her name off of the calling list if she would only verify information, if she was not interested in the prodict. My wife heard about the product, told the woman no, and said to take her name off the list now. The scammer proceeded to say that all my wife needed to do was to verify the street address. Karen told her to read what was on her screen, and she'd verify if that was correct or not. The scammer did so, and then said that she needed to record Karen saying the street address. Karen started to do it, then in the middle of the recording, threw in at the last moment, "But I am not paying for anything, nor wanting to be billed for anyhting." The woman thanked my wife for her participation on the call, and said that she needed to record her once more from the beginning that she had been told about the product, and that she was aware of her benefits therein. Karen started the recoding by saying..."I have heard the sales rep mention this product that I am not interest in, nor do I want to be billed for it"....and the scammer hung up the phone to not allow Karen to continue talking!
If I get some sort of shit in my mail...who do I contact to close the freaks down?
Old 11-08-2002, 09:25 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

By the way, Whenever I am on the phone to these types...I will always do surveys, because sometimes they are fun...especially when the surveyer realizes that I do not meet the standards of most others...it is fun to hear their surprises...but when I get a call about buying something, I always say stuff like..."But, I do not need a cell phone, nor will I ever care to ahve one..." Or "Now...before you start explaining this...you need to realize that all of my money goes to bills that I already have, and I cannot afford any other type of bill...it would never get paid"...Or..."I already have a credit card, it is only used for buying gas, and I do not need another one. One is plenty to keep up with."
I try to say something different each time. Sometimes when they want me to go on some strange vacation...I tell them I have used up all my PTO time, so a vacation is no good to me, nor do I have any friends to give my spot to.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:31 PM   #3
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
By the way, Whenever I am on the phone to these types...I will always do surveys, because sometimes they are fun...especially when the surveyer realizes that I do not meet the standards of most others...it is fun to hear their surprises...but when I get a call about buying something, I always say stuff like..."But, I do not need a cell phone, nor will I ever care to ahve one..." Or "Now...before you start explaining this...you need to realize that all of my money goes to bills that I already have, and I cannot afford any other type of bill...it would never get paid"...Or..."I already have a credit card, it is only used for buying gas, and I do not need another one. One is plenty to keep up with."
I try to say something different each time. Sometimes when they want me to go on some strange vacation...I tell them I have used up all my PTO time, so a vacation is no good to me, nor do I have any friends to give my spot to.
You know what would be fun? *69 the next company that calls you
Old 11-08-2002, 09:40 PM   #4
chrisofthedale
Account Removed by Request

i know how you feel and im not even an adult, but its the curse of your own phoneline i guess
Old 11-08-2002, 09:49 PM   #5
Animal
Gold Dragon

You know what works really well for telemarketers. Put them on hold. When they phone and start spewing off, just say "Give me a second, I'll be right back. I'm interested in what you've got to say." I've found that they stick around for about an half hour before getting wise to it. Most incur long distance charges, so it really gets their goat. After about a dozen or so, you'll never get another call from a telemarketer again!
Phone scams are really bad because most are offshore where there's no regulations to phone lines. A buddy of mine got nailed with a phone bill for over $1200 in one month. A guy phones up claiming to be from Telus (local company) wanting him to dial a number to check the line. The dummy did and incured charges of over $150/min. Nice!
Old 11-08-2002, 09:50 PM   #6
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

I also seem to get alot of those calls. I had one company calling me once a week to come out to a company get together and I would receive a t.v or something. These things scare me and never go.

Larry I am sure that the can not make you buy anything since you have not signed or agreed to anything. Even though you find it intresting to talk to those people. I would not anymore some scams out there are getting tuffer to get out of. I have stopped talking to those people.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:53 PM   #7
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Don't worry about it Larry. I have gotten these types of calls for over 10 years now at work. Karen did the right thing by changing her mind during said recording. That is where they verify/prove that you agreed to their "services." They are a sneaky bunch no doubt, and I don't know how you can shut them down, as they have been doing this type of thing for ages now. I get at least two times a month a scammer at work, calling me asking for the ID number on our copier. Well we use our own company for maintenance on our copier, they already obviously know that number. Sometimes I even get calls where they out and out lie and say they are from a legit company, even the one we use, but again, that info they should already have if they are who they say they are. Liars! And of course the second you give them any inkling you are onto them, they hang up. I've said a few nasty things to some of them over the years, and some even call back and say nasty stuff back and then hang up. *69 never works either, as they are either considered a "private" number or "out of range." I'd love to bust these bastards. I had a similar call as Karen about three weeks ago at work, someone called wanting to send info in the mail to us, so I said OK, send it, and then they did that "lets record this" crap, which made me suspicious cause who wants to record someone mailing a flyer to you? I then said "I have no authorization here to make any financial decisions" and they hung up! ****ers...

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-08-2002, 10:11 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

You reminded me of what happened at my work! I am the mail clerk, and have no authorization to anything, so this guy calls up and says that he wants to verify our address to continue receiving this magazine that our company (really DOES NOT) receive, and I told him the address, because I did not know. Then I got suspicious, and asked him why he was not asking the guy whose name is on the bill to renew. He said that it would be handled in my acct. dept. I told him that he would need to confirm with the buyer of the magazine before renewing. Ten minutes later, I got another call from a lady wanting to confirm my purchase. I told her that I was not the one authorized to purchase, and that the previous man had obviously tried to trick me to accept something that my company does not want. The next day, the first guy called back, angry, and asked..."Did you tell the woman that I misled you into purchasing something? I only asked for your address!" I asked him..."Then why was she calling to confirm purchase?" He said,"Your company already gets this magazine!" Then I asked..."The whose name is the receipient?" He hung up on me.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:15 PM   #9
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Who was it that toyed with the AT&T company a while back? That was some good advice [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2002, 10:39 PM   #10
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
You reminded me of what happened at my work! I am the mail clerk, and have no authorization to anything, so this guy calls up and says that he wants to verify our address to continue receiving this magazine that our company (really DOES NOT) receive, and I told him the address, because I did not know. Then I got suspicious, and asked him why he was not asking the guy whose name is on the bill to renew. He said that it would be handled in my acct. dept. I told him that he would need to confirm with the buyer of the magazine before renewing. Ten minutes later, I got another call from a lady wanting to confirm my purchase. I told her that I was not the one authorized to purchase, and that the previous man had obviously tried to trick me to accept something that my company does not want. The next day, the first guy called back, angry, and asked..."Did you tell the woman that I misled you into purchasing something? I only asked for your address!" I asked him..."Then why was she calling to confirm purchase?" He said,"Your company already gets this magazine!" Then I asked..."The whose name is the receipient?" He hung up on me.
Yeah these scammers from what I have been able to ascertain over ten years has been that they keep calling the same businesses, hoping to get a new, unexperienced, naive receptionist, to con into thinking that they are a company that has already been doing business with your company, and are just "updating" orders and stuff. All a load of crap. Luckily I've been answering the phone mostly at my job for almost 13 years now, and I know their scam, they probably have my name written down somewhere LOL that says "just don't bother, hang up if 'Wendy' answers" LOL. But they still continue to call and try again and again, it never ends. It's like they are waiting for me to leave and then they can pounce on the "newbie." But thing is, if I ever do move on and change jobs, I will leave a full list of instructions for the person taking my place on how to deal with phone scammers, so they will never get away with crap there. The ****ers can kiss it LOL [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps